Does Mortar Mix go bad with age?

Page 1 of 3
A couple of days ago I used some Mortar Mix (Sakrete or Quikcrete or similar) liberally dosed with Acryl 60 to parge the front of my house and repair some broken-out between-the-bricks mortar. The repairs are just now getting hard to the point where I can rub the surface and not rub off the mortar. Further the result seems excessively "sandy" although the mix looked normal. Whether this affects the final quality of the repairs remains to be seen.
The (opened) bag I used was at least five years old (maybe even ten) but the contents, although not flowing like...oh, flour...had only a few lumps which were easily broken up in the mixing process. I've used similarly old concrete mix without any problem but I wonder if there's something unique to mortar mix that causes a problem with age. Unlike shellac (for ex.) there's nothing on the container to indicate a useful life. I'm sure if asked the mfg would blame the consumer so that's pretty pointless.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
Yes, mortar mix does go bad. I had an experience with some 20+ year old mortar mix. Looked good in the bag, had never gotten wet, but it never hardened properly and crumbled after drying, causing me to need to redo the whole project.
-- Take care,
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm Business sites at: www.dv-clips.com www.mwcomms.com www.adventuresinanimemusic.com -

I imagine that mortat mix might last quite a while if you stored it in your refrigeratore or some other place that moisture can't get to it. Otherwise yes it goes bad.
On 1 Nov 2004 13:38:15 -0800, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote:

Ahhhhhh Ha Ha Ha....... <ROTFL>
I'd hate to look in your fridge !!!
Try it out with your wife and let us know what happens!!
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in message

SpamFree wrote:

It sure will. It picks up moisture from the air. If you could seal it 100% you would be OK, but that is not likely.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Sure it goes bad, it partialy cured in the bag and may have no strength. The portland cement is what cures with moisture. If its no good in a few weeks redo it.
replying to m Ransley, J. EARL wrote: IT CERTAINLY DOES GO BAD. Wish I had read these comments earlier. Have had two projects go bad from failure to toss unused mortar. I live in a very humid climate. *_*IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL THAT IT'S GONE BAD BEFORE ITS APPLICATION ?? *_*
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 8:44:05 AM UTC-4, J. EARL wrote:

What? I can't hear you. You'll have to shout a little louder.
Maybe you should use more all caps, more asterisks and more punctuation emphasis to make sure we understand what you are saying.
| What? I can't hear you. You'll have to shout a little louder. | | Maybe you should use more all caps, more asterisks and more punctuation | emphasis to make sure we understand what you are saying. |
I wish there were a way to block this homeownershub spam. I wonder how many of the posters are even real. In any case, it keeps getting worse. I've taken to just ignoring all original posts I see that start with Re:, assuming them to be either homeownershub or originating from a poster who I've blocked.
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:10:07 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Well, I don't know if it can be called spam, but I agree that most of the posts are annoying.
There seems to be 2 types of homeownershub posts:
1 - Those that appear to be direct responses to very old posts, as if the post was made yesterday. i.e. no indication that the responder noticed that the date of the last post was Feb 06, 2006. Those are the most annoying.
2 - Those that appear to be "I searched for a topic, found this 10 year old thread and was wondering if a solution was ever found." i.e. they know it's an old thread, but they are now experiencing the original issue.
While the 2nd type may be annoying, they are at least "legitimate" in that the responder is actually looking for help. The annoying part is that the odds of the original poster still following that thread is minuscule at best.
I participate in a few forums where old threads are resurrected on a consistent basis. It is the norm and it is expected. Members are "reminded" to search the archives for threads related to their issue and if the answer isn't in that thread, feel free to continue the thread, adding any new information or questions that apply. "My tranmission is shuttering at 60 MPH. I've followed all the advice in this thread and none of it has helped. Is there anything else that I can try?"
That saves the constant re-hashing of old information that we often see in usenet when new threads on old subjects are started.
One fun part of these old threads is that sometimes we get a chance to read stuff that we wrote 10+ years ago. ;-) There have been times when I didn't even recognize the title of the thread, only to scroll through it and see that I was a major participant. It's obvious that these old threads originated in usenet and were gathered up by homeownershub, because many of the recognizable participants, like myself, were never homeownershub subscribers.
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 08:43:28 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

than it is to start a new one there.
| It's obvious that these old | threads originated in usenet and were gathered up by homeownershub, | because many of the recognizable participants, like myself, were never | homeownershub subscribers.
Yes. They're parasite websites that gather usenet posts as content. Not so terrible, except that they make it hard for people to discover usenet. (I've also come across my own posts in searches, reprinted by sites that list me as an unregistered user or non-member.)
I call this particular one a spammer because they seem to be trying to lure usenet people to their site. Numerous posts are showing up with a link at the bottom to get the full thread at homeownershub. I see no reason to think the posters are doing this. If they even knew about usenet they probably wouldn't be posting at homeownershub. That leads me to conclude that people at homeownershub may or may not be making up these posts, but *are* spamming usenet with them as advertising, by cross posting to usenet and adding the link.
Unfortunately, my reader is not capable of blocking based on message content. It it were I'd set it to block all messages containg "homeownershub".
Mayayana pretended :

Ignore my previous post where I asked you this.
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 12:24:22 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

What's left to discover? usenet has dwindled to a former shadow of its old self and I seriously doubt that the "high tech" folks of today would care for it if they found it. Heck, I'm an old fart but even I wish I could bold text, add an image, and do some of other stuff that web-based forums allow.

Sent from my iPhone ;-)

I don't necessarily agree, as per my comments above.
Now, please don't tell me to run off and join homeownershub. I do use a web based forums for many things, but there are couple of old-school ng's that I enjoy, such as a.h.r.

That makes sense.

That too.
One thing that I have found is that it is fairly easy to tell which threads have been revived via homeownershub without even opening them. When a thread shows up with an unfamiliar (to me) subject line, 27 read posts and only 1 or 2 unread posts, I can be pretty sure that it's a homeownershub cross-post.
Mayayana laid this down on his screen :

Can your reader filter on the body? I notice they often have the URL as a sig.
"YES"
"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
Mayayana laid this down on his screen :

Can your reader filter on the body? I notice they often have the URL as a sig.
| > I wish there were a way to block this homeownershub | > spam. I wonder how many of the posters are even real. | > In any case, it keeps getting worse. I've taken to just | > ignoring all original posts I see that start with Re:, assuming | > them to be either homeownershub or originating from a | > poster who I've blocked. | | Can your reader filter on the body? I notice they often have the URL as | a sig.
That's what I was thinking, but for some reason I can't filter newsgroups in the ways that I can filter email.

Add this to your filters (no quotes) "caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85"
That gets rid of all of them from Homeowners Hub. Unfortunately people keep replying to them, so we end up seeing the replies anyhow.... I dont reply to them, if I know they are from the "H Hub".
The way I see it, this newsgroup as well as all of usenet is about dead. There is little worth reading on here anymore. I'm now deleting 95% of the posts on here, (either with filters or manually). It's not worth my time anymore coming on here.
And since I find the web has been taken over by facebook, I'm wasting my money paying for internet service. I cant even use Craigslist anymore since they put on those captcha things, which require a fast internet connection and all sorts of flash crap. I already decided that at the end of August, I'm canceling my internet service. The only reason I am keeping it another month is for email. By that time, I'll get a newer cellphone so I can do my email on the phone. (My old phone cant do it).
I saw the end of usenet coming over a year ago. But did not expect the web to also die, which it has. From the early 90's till now, the internet was a great and useful tool, but it's gone the same way as the CB radio died in the early 80s. The internet was bound to fail, and it's happened. All it is now is a place for mindless morons to chatter their mindless bullshit on facebook, or troll usenet. The net no longer serves any real purpose.
I wish there was a way to just get email on a computer without having a full internet service, but I guess the only way is on a cellphone now. That's ok, but I find it real hard to type on a phone. But I'll learn to live with it, and just make my emails short, and spend more time calling people instead. Heck, I might even go back to getting the newspaper and mailing real letters to friends and relatives.
On 7/29/2016 9:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

The internet and Usenet isn't dead - it's just changing. If you get email on your smart phone, you'll need the internet to get email. You'll still be able to access Usenet via your phone, and anything on the internet on your phone.
--
Maggie