Does Liquid Sander really work?

I'd like to redo my tired looking oak kitchen cabinets. The easiest way is probably to re-paint over them. I'd like to avoid sanding as much as possible. I found this liquid sander in the hardware store. Does it really work? Or, do I still have to sand the trims, the nooks and cranks? I just need to rough up the surface, so that the primer would adhere. Which primer should I use? I bought this enamel primer from Home Depot. It's unopened and has been sitting in the garage for over 3 months (some hot summer days) now, is it still good?
wendi wrote:

Light scuffing with 120 or gray Scotchbrite is all that's needed, just enough to kill the gloss. Too much sanding muddies details.

Shellac. Dries fast, sticks to anything, even silicone. Anything sticks to shellac. Use a fresh can; once opened, the shelf life is no better than 6 months.

Test on a piece of scrap. If it dries hard within time stated by directions, it's good.
Anything sticks to DEWAXED shellac. Zinsser Seal Coat is dewaxed and has shelf life of 3 years. The shellac I mix using flakes shelf life is about 6 months.
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:09:38 -0700, Father Haskell

Use a standard cleaner to remove grease that you might not be able to see. Some people use lacquer thinner. Prime with Zinnser's BIN primer. It is a 4 pound cut of white pigmented shellac. It dries quickly since it is alcohol based so don't over brush it. Spackle or putty any holes, etc. that need it and spot prime these area with more BIN. Make sure you use a paint that will stand up to a kitchen environment and the scrubbing it will undergo over time.
Good Luck.