Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

Page 3 of 3

Why am I not surprised that you can't think.

Quite true. LEDs have no other redeeming values in this application, either. OTOH, LED lighting is quite nice when it's designed into the 'fridge.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Pure-White-E27-108-LED-6-5W-Energy-Saving-36 0-Corn-Bulb-Lamp-Light-110V-New-/171041393638?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hashitem27d2dc8be6
And found on Ebay, fairly cheap. Search box "110v LED bulb"
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
A LED bulb would be perfect in a fridge actually...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Red Green wrote:

fridge door or maybe a spot light on the counter aimed to shine into the fridge with one of the fancy remote controllers. Anyone can change a bulb but let's get creative.
[image:
http://www.taylorgifts.com/images/products/p53758_500.jpg ]
or, maybe...
[image:
https://midwest.westburne.ca/medias/sys_master/canada/8854840541214/LUMCELE00102_WB_2_PE_001_320.jpg ]
--
nestork

Fred Flintstone would have had a small bird, that lights a candle each time the door is opened. Which bird also throws wisecracks each time. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I was thinking maybe a flashlight with a magnet so it would stick on the
fridge door or maybe a spot light on the counter aimed to shine into the
fridge with one of the fancy remote controllers. Anyone can change a bulb but let's get creative.
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:21:38 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

This may be an option? (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Mon, 20 May 2013 11:11:11 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

That's effectively what I bought to replace the spiral bulb.
I put in a GE A15 40-watt frosted bulb.
Thanks.
On Monday, May 20, 2013 6:29:06 PM UTC-5, Danny D wrote:

Look closer...it is a CFL inside a bulb!
On Tue, 21 May 2013 03:43:58 -0700, Bob_Villa wrote:

Ohhhhh... (I had missed that). Thanks.
By the way I find many of the responses here very condescending. We aren't all organized or handy. And I change the light bulbs, my husband doesn't.
I have replaced my 40watt bulb with a GE LED ceiling fan bulb - because the bulb is situated right at the front of the top of the door, and if I am ru mmaging around on the top shelf, the incandescent bulb gets too hot for com fort right next to my hand. I find even CFLs get fairly warm.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So you thought you'd dig up a year old thread and point that out? If you can't find anything more recent to complain about, it must not be so bad here after all.
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:21:38 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

If it works, great, but I'd expect performance will be compromised due to temp and lifespan will be shortened due to cold. I'd be tempted to slap one of the inexpensive Cree LED bulbs in there.
nate

Just be careful you don't break that CFL. Mercury is not a good thing to mix with your food.
The main thing about :"appliance" bulbs is the size. You can get a 40w or 60w in the smaller A-15 envelope
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 01:05:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would /NOT/ use a CFL in a fridge. Both because of mercury poisoning and because CFLs dont get to full brightness in cold temps. Plus, you are not supposed to turn on and off CFLs repeatedly or their life shortens. You might open that fridge 10 or more times a day, and each time it's for one minute or less. That's HARD ON THE CFL, and you're not saving anything on your electric bill for those few minutes of daily use.
A plain 25W (or less) incendescent will work just fine in a fridge (but never in an oven). Or just spend a few more cents and buy an appliance bulb.
Or the low wattage LED bulbs are fairly cheap and will last forever.
I bought a 25W equivalant LED for $5 on sale recently. Uses 3 watts. That's less than an old fashioned Night Light with the C5 bulbs (5 watts). I leave it on all the time as a night light (in a lamp). Probably costs me less than 50 cents per month for electric, and is much brigher than a regular night light. Well worth the security and keeps the house bright enough when I walk in at night, I dont trip on stuff.
Plus, those C5 bulbs never lasted real long.... The LED should last many years.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I don't think I'd waste my money on an LED bulb in the fridge. Given the price, life expectancy, and the time it's actually on and eating watts, there's not likely to be a payback.
Hi Danny,
Th thing I would be concerned is if the replacement bulb was rated for the Colder/damper conditions the refrigerator have. It may appear to work, but what about the safety factor "someone getting shocked" from an insufficiently rated bulb. I am sure you would agree a few dollars spent for your loved ones and your safety is well spent.
On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 1:51:06 AM UTC-5, DIY Projects wrote:

I have a lED 60 watt cree bulb on my front porch, very cold here night lows under zero F:(
instant brite light using very little power.
i wouldnt hesitate tto use one in my fridge....
On 1/11/2015 1:51 AM, DIY Projects wrote:

How is a light bulb going to shock you?