Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

You're going to spend 10x on a new bulb when it goes out, instead of replacing it with the cheaper bulb the *ONCE* during the life of the 'fridge anyway? No one said you had any brains, top-poster.

Reply to
krw

Just as long as the little fridge man doesn't have to keep turning it ON.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

The house calls get expensive.

Reply to
krw

Ah, the old "does the light bulb stay on when the door is closed" argument! It's too easy to settle these days since cheap video recorders are everywhere.

Reply to
dgk

Why am I not surprised that you can't think.

Reply to
krw

This may be an option?

Bob_Villa

That's effectively what I bought to replace the spiral bulb.

I put in a GE A15 40-watt frosted bulb.

Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D

Look closer...it is a CFL inside a bulb!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Ohhhhh... (I had missed that). Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D

By the way I find many of the responses here very condescending. We aren't all organized or handy. And I change the light bulbs, my husband doesn't.

I have replaced my 40watt bulb with a GE LED ceiling fan bulb - because the bulb is situated right at the front of the top of the door, and if I am ru mmaging around on the top shelf, the incandescent bulb gets too hot for com fort right next to my hand. I find even CFLs get fairly warm.

Reply to
epschiff

So you thought you'd dig up a year old thread and point that out? If you can't find anything more recent to complain about, it must not be so bad here after all.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Isn't this the truth? -.-

Reply to
fitnicegirl

If it works, great, but I'd expect performance will be compromised due to temp and lifespan will be shortened due to cold. I'd be tempted to slap one of the inexpensive Cree LED bulbs in there.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Just be careful you don't break that CFL. Mercury is not a good thing to mix with your food.

The main thing about :"appliance" bulbs is the size. You can get a 40w or 60w in the smaller A-15 envelope

Reply to
gfretwell

I would /NOT/ use a CFL in a fridge. Both because of mercury poisoning and because CFLs dont get to full brightness in cold temps. Plus, you are not supposed to turn on and off CFLs repeatedly or their life shortens. You might open that fridge 10 or more times a day, and each time it's for one minute or less. That's HARD ON THE CFL, and you're not saving anything on your electric bill for those few minutes of daily use.

A plain 25W (or less) incendescent will work just fine in a fridge (but never in an oven). Or just spend a few more cents and buy an appliance bulb.

Or the low wattage LED bulbs are fairly cheap and will last forever.

I bought a 25W equivalant LED for $5 on sale recently. Uses 3 watts. That's less than an old fashioned Night Light with the C5 bulbs (5 watts). I leave it on all the time as a night light (in a lamp). Probably costs me less than 50 cents per month for electric, and is much brigher than a regular night light. Well worth the security and keeps the house bright enough when I walk in at night, I dont trip on stuff.

Plus, those C5 bulbs never lasted real long.... The LED should last many years.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I don't think I'd waste my money on an LED bulb in the fridge. Given the price, life expectancy, and the time it's actually on and eating watts, there's not likely to be a payback.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Hi Danny,

Th thing I would be concerned is if the replacement bulb was rated for the Colder/damper conditions the refrigerator have. It may appear to work, but what about the safety factor "someone getting shocked" from an insufficiently rated bulb. I am sure you would agree a few dollars spent for your loved ones and your safety is well spent.

Reply to
DIY Projects

I have a lED 60 watt cree bulb on my front porch, very cold here night lows under zero F:(

instant brite light using very little power.

i wouldnt hesitate tto use one in my fridge....

Reply to
bob haller

How is a light bulb going to shock you?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LED worth it all the way. It will last forever, uses minimal power, and safe.

Reply to
maxtur1