Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

Page 2 of 3
Isn't this the truth? -.-
On 5/14/2013 11:21 PM, Danny D. wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-6-Watt-40W-A19-Warm-White-2700K-LED-Light-Bulb-1-Pack-BA19-04527OMF-12DE26-1U110/203991778?N=bol

No, if you dont mind a bit of mercury in your foodsupply......
On 05/14/2013 11:21 PM, Danny D. wrote:

IT's probably not going to work very well and take a long time to start, but it's not going to hurt anything other than the CFL.
A LED bulb would be perfect in a fridge actually...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It probably would be, but still too costly. Cheapest LED is at least triple the cost of a regular appliance bulb and it is not on long enough to give a payback on energy savings.
On Thu, 16 May 2013 05:49:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

Just musing here....
Are you considering both the energy cost of lighting the bulb, *and* the energy cost of the heat the bulbs create inside the fridge?
It would seem to me the latter might have more impact.
Again, just musing.
--
croy

On 5/17/2013 4:04 PM, croy wrote:

They could give away incandescent bulbs and I still wouldn't use them.
Knowing that I'll never have to change the bulb again is enough for me to use an LED bulb.

Yeah, it's *SUCH* hard work!

It's more of an inconvenience than hard work. Idiot!

Oh, the *INCONVENIENCE*! <shudder> I've probably replaced one bulb a year for the past five. It's *such* a burden.

Do you have an electric can opener or a manual one?
Do you have a garage door opener or do you raise the door manually?
Do you have a remote control for your tv or do you waddle up to the cable box to change channels?
And assuming you still have teeth, you use an electric toothbrush.
Lemme guess, you've got a riding lawn mower too. Idiot!

Actually, I don't have a clue. ...not that it's of any relevance.

Not installed. It's been in a box in the garage for a year.

You're projecting again.

Yep. Nope.

Yes, but I didn't until I had an acre and a half of grass.
Of curse *NONE* of this has anything to do with replacing a damned light bulb once a year or so. It does show what a damned fool you are, though.
I'd also prefer not to have to replace a bulb every year. So far, my fridge bulb has been fine. When it goes, I'll seriously consider LED. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Of curse *NONE* of this has anything to do with replacing a damned light bulb once a year or so. It does show what a damned fool you are, though.
On Sun, 19 May 2013 07:03:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You're going to spend 10x on a new bulb when it goes out, instead of replacing it with the cheaper bulb the *ONCE* during the life of the 'fridge anyway? No one said you had any brains, top-poster.
Just as long as the little fridge man doesn't have to keep turning it ON.

The house calls get expensive.

Yeah, until you have to replace it because the current limiting capacitor in the module failed....
LEDs are low voltage, incandescent are much higher , generally120 V
The modules to allow the 120 V to power the low voltage LED have a much much much higher failure rate than the LED....
You just gotta look at the whole picture...

Just considering the cost of the bulb versus energy saved when lit. A 40W appliance bulb gives off 136 BTU per hour. How long is the light on to give an appreciable amount of heat to be removed?

How many BTU per hour does an open door use? ;-)
On Sat, 18 May 2013 10:47:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Ah, the old "does the light bulb stay on when the door is closed" argument! It's too easy to settle these days since cheap video recorders are everywhere.