Does it matter at all whether PVC unions are on one way or the other?

Page 2 of 2  
On Sun, 12 May 2013 11:35:20 -0700, Oren wrote:

Do you think I should lubricate the union with pool lube?


Following the huckleberry trail, I certainly took your advice to heart!
I bought 1" wide 120 grit aluminum oxide sanding cloth:

I took pains to keep the results as perfectly round as possible:

Even so, I'm a bit worried because the 2.5" coupling is a tad too large:

But, I had called Jandy & they said simply to use a lot of glue!

Adding the reducing bushing, the plumbing is back to original 2" size:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 08:02:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

Strainer? Volute?
Googling ... Volute: noun, A spiral scroll, Forming a spiral curve or curves
So I assume the strainer is the pool pump basket, which has an o-ring at the top under the cover, which I do lube with the pool lube.
And, the volute is most likely the clamp-on connection where the impeller does its work; so, yes, I do lube that also with pool lube.
Thanks for the recommendation (and vocabulary). :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 09:35:27 -0700, Oren wrote:

It's hula-hoop humongous!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I dont't know what that measurement is supposed to show. If the point is that it's not showing 2.5", it's not supposed to. The 2.5" is the inside diameter of the PIPE that the fitting mates with. It's not the inside diameter of the fitting which is going to be a lot larger. The real question is if it fits snuggly when it's put on, which I hope it does.

He cut it flush with the valve because the coupling is going OVER the jandy valve. He doesn't want any pipe left outside the valve. It was either go over it, or get the special tool to bore out the pipe already glued inside the valve.

I don't see why there should be a lot of play in this. If that Jandy valve is designed to work with 2.5" fittings, then a 2.5" fitting should fit over it just like any PVC pipe connection. If it doesn't and there is a lot of play, then glue isn't the answer. You might get away with it, but that joint will not be nearly as strong as it's supposed to be.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 08:16:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I don't know if I have the vocabulary (that Oren has) of describing things ... but I'd say the "play" was within reason. It was tight, but not as tight as when I place a brand new PVC coupling over a similarly brand new PVC pipe.
When I connect the brand new equipment (for sizing, for example), I always have a hard time pulling them apart ... they're that tight.
On the other hand, this 2.5" coupling goes on "snug"; but can easily be pulled back off without much force.
So, it's "snug" but nowhere near as snug as putting a brand new PVC coupling onto a brand new PVC pipe.
Since that joint is the critical joint, I'll be crossing my fingers because, if that fails, the only other option (other than draining the pool) is to bore out the Jandy valves.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 08:02:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

There was no 'pipe'.

On the filter Jandy valve, what *looked* like a pipe was really a whole bunch of couplings inserted butt-to-butt with the actual two-inch pipe hiding inside.

On the cleaner Jandy valve, it was just butt-to-butt elbows.

I would have *loved* to have some 2-inch pipe to simply connect a fitting to - but - there were no "pipes" to be found there!
That was the entire problem, in the first place, which had prevented a simple repair, over the years (by me or the previous owner).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:04:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

If it's any consolation, I followed your huckleberry trail almost exactly - only turning away when the path petered out completely.
In fact, I *did* originally cut the so-called "pipe" very much closer to the pump, *exactly* as you had advised:

The deviation from your suggested path was determined because a big boulder blocked the path to huckleberry nirvana, which in this case, was because there was no 2-inch pipe to be had:

This lack of 2-inch pipe necessitated switching to plan B:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:31:33 -0700, Oren wrote:

:)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 May 2013 08:02:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

Just to clarify, I had *wanted* a single coupling:

But I was leery of sizing off the Internet; so I tried every plumbing supply and irrigation supply that I knew of.

None had a single 2.5-inch-to-2-inch coupling; but the irrigation places had the two separate parts.

Those two pieces were my only option locally available. :(
Note: Had I a 2" NPT die, I could have re-threaded though:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 1:05:29 PM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:

you say your one to do things correctly, I've always gone with the flow with the nut first. Also if you want to do things right use sch80 not 40 it cracks after time.....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/18/2016 06:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@metrocast.net wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 04:35:19 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@metrocast.net wrote:

Apparently the standards in our schools continues to fall. You have clearly failed to know the difference between "your" and "you're."
And as Philo said, "LOOK AT THE DATE!"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 1:05:29 PM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.