Does it matter at all whether PVC unions are on one way or the other?

Just to clarify, I had *wanted* a single coupling:

But I was leery of sizing off the Internet; so I tried every plumbing supply and irrigation supply that I knew of.

None had a single 2.5-inch-to-2-inch coupling; but the irrigation places had the two separate parts.

Those two pieces were my only option locally available. :(

Note: Had I a 2" NPT die, I could have re-threaded though:

Danny D.

I don't know if I have the vocabulary (that Oren has) of describing things ... but I'd say the "play" was within reason. It was tight, but not as tight as when I place a brand new PVC coupling over a similarly brand new PVC pipe.

When I connect the brand new equipment (for sizing, for example), I always have a hard time pulling them apart ... they're that tight.

On the other hand, this 2.5" coupling goes on "snug"; but can easily be pulled back off without much force.

So, it's "snug" but nowhere near as snug as putting a brand new PVC coupling onto a brand new PVC pipe.

Since that joint is the critical joint, I'll be crossing my fingers because, if that fails, the only other option (other than draining the pool) is to bore out the Jandy valves.

Reply to
Danny D.

If it's any consolation, I followed your huckleberry trail almost exactly - only turning away when the path petered out completely.

In fact, I *did* originally cut the so-called "pipe" very much closer to the pump, *exactly* as you had advised:

The deviation from your suggested path was determined because a big boulder blocked the path to huckleberry nirvana, which in this case, was because there was no 2-inch pipe to be had:

This lack of 2-inch pipe necessitated switching to plan B:

Danny D

It's hula-hoop humongous!

Reply to
Danny D

:)

Reply to
Danny D

Hardware stores, maybe including HD used to sell mostly black plastic pipe, and no white plastic pipe, but white came in later and I guess it's better in some way, because that is all HD has now. (Maybe grey pipe too but that's the flexible stuff I havent' used.) To get black recently (so it would mach my basement sink drain and my sump pump drain) I had to go to a plumbing supply store.

Reply to
micky

I thought the minimum age for paint was 35.

Reply to
micky

Is this just a swimming pool or is it something bigger?

Reply to
micky

It's a big swimming pool ...

Reply to
Danny D

you say your one to do things correctly, I've always gone with the flow with the nut first. Also if you want to do things right use sch80 not 40 it cracks after time.....

Reply to
starwalls

Reply to
starwalls

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Reply to
philo

Apparently the standards in our schools continues to fall. You have clearly failed to know the difference between "your" and "you're."

And as Philo said, "LOOK AT THE DATE!"

Reply to
Gordon Shumway