Does homeowners Insurance cover this?

I just discovered extensive rot in the framing around several windows. The wood crumbles in my hand. I don't know what caused it, whether water or insects but several framing pieces need to be replaced. Is this something my homeowners insurance will cover? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Answer: Generally, insurance policies exclude damage caused by seepage, dry rot, or vermin (animal pests). This is because these problems are usually the result of poor maintenance, not a "sudden and accidental" event.
I think that comes under "Repairs & Maintenance" the homeowner's responsibility not the Insurer who covers perils.

Well, what does your policy say? Have you read it? None of us can read it from here.
Had you thought of asking your agent?
Answer is probably 'no' by the way -- that's damage caused by failure to perform normal routine maintenance.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'd say you have two chances to collect from your insurer; slim and none.
And Slim rode out of town this morning.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi, Termite? Tony
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Disclaimer: I'm not your insurance agent, I haven't read your policy, I don't know what state you're in. Ask your own agent for a more definite answer.
Insurance companies used to have a very general definition of what sort of water damage they would cover. With the explosion of mold hype in overly-tight houses, insurance companies have rewritten their policies to become much more restrictive. There's a very good chance that your policy limits water damage to "sudden and accidental" events and contains a specific exclusion for wet or dry rot, bacteria or fungi.
But you should read your own policy to see for sure, and talk to your agent if you can't tell.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
I can't read your policy from here. Hold it closer to the screen, and i'll see if I can read it.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Recent stories point out that insurance companies are quick to not renew folks who use policies for small stuff. Do not even try.
LB
Why would you ask that here instead of at your insurance company? They'\re the only ones can give you a definitive answer and arrange inspections if they're necessary.
|I just discovered extensive rot in the framing around several windows. | The wood crumbles in my hand. I don't know what caused it, whether | water or insects but several framing pieces need to be replaced. Is | this something my homeowners insurance will cover? Thanks.
On 19 Nov 2004 12:53:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Umm... Wouldn't this be a question to ask your insurance company...?
Jeff