Does homeowners Insurance cover this?

I just discovered extensive rot in the framing around several windows. The wood crumbles in my hand. I don't know what caused it, whether water or insects but several framing pieces need to be replaced. Is this something my homeowners insurance will cover? Thanks.

Reply to
fatman985

Answer: Generally, insurance policies exclude damage caused by seepage, dry rot, or vermin (animal pests). This is because these problems are usually the result of poor maintenance, not a "sudden and accidental" event.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I think that comes under "Repairs & Maintenance" the homeowner's responsibility not the Insurer who covers perils.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Well, what does your policy say? Have you read it? None of us can read it from here.

Had you thought of asking your agent?

Answer is probably 'no' by the way -- that's damage caused by failure to perform normal routine maintenance.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd say you have two chances to collect from your insurer; slim and none.

And Slim rode out of town this morning.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi, Termite? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Disclaimer: I'm not your insurance agent, I haven't read your policy, I don't know what state you're in. Ask your own agent for a more definite answer.

Insurance companies used to have a very general definition of what sort of water damage they would cover. With the explosion of mold hype in overly-tight houses, insurance companies have rewritten their policies to become much more restrictive. There's a very good chance that your policy limits water damage to "sudden and accidental" events and contains a specific exclusion for wet or dry rot, bacteria or fungi.

But you should read your own policy to see for sure, and talk to your agent if you can't tell.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

I can't read your policy from here. Hold it closer to the screen, and i'll see if I can read it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Recent stories point out that insurance companies are quick to not renew folks who use policies for small stuff. Do not even try.

LB

Reply to
LB

Why would you ask that here instead of at your insurance company? They'\re the only ones can give you a definitive answer and arrange inspections if they're necessary.

Reply to
Pop

Umm... Wouldn't this be a question to ask your insurance company...?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran