Does globe shut off mean ball valve. Does Qest Acetal mean plastic?

1/4" x 1/4" Copper Tube Size Qest Acetal In Line Globe Shut Off Valve

Does "globe" mean it's a ball valve? Only requires a quarter turn?

Does Qest Acetal mean it's plastic?

I need an inline valve for the water to my humidifier (because the original valve has become inaccessible), and there are a lot available, but I would like a ball valve, and I might like one with a mounting bracket although I guess I could make one for it pretty easily.

I bought one at Home Depot, but it has that T-handle** like in a saddle valve that I think you have to turn and turn and turn to turn off the water. Or is this valve going to work better than the saddle valve?

**I wanted to show you a picture of it, but of course their webpage doesn't have it, even though the store did. But Lowes has one much like it.

mm

No. Globe vales require more turns and are often used to regulate flow. Globe vales typicaly require more than 4 turns from closed to open.

Yes.

Keep looking, you won't like that one as it takes many turns. Try a real plumbing supply or

Ed Pawlowski

Globe valve is not a ball valve.

the best choice for a shutoff.

Acetal (resin) is the generic / scientific name for Delrin (the brand name of Dupont's acetal resin?)

Brasscraft makes a lot 1/4 turn (ball) shutoff valves but the one's I'm familiar with are typically for angle stop use not inline or bracket mount. :(

I would suggest sticking with 1/4 turn ball shutoff (all metal) and rigging your own bracket or foregoing one. How often are your going to turn it on & off? You can always just grab the valve body & turn the stem. If cannot find exactly what you want I'd suggest a "straight" angle stop. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Thanks. I was tricked by the similarity between a globe and a ball. Where I come from, a globe is a ball!

Good.

Wow, they find 119 things under 1/4 valve . Amazign.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Confusing. There should be federal regulation of the use of English words.

Thanks.

I thought early on I saw one with a bracket, but yes, I'll make my own.

Every spring and fall, and in between if it's not working right or I feel the need to change the number of plate. (which determines how much humidity is added). It looks like even with the new furnace, I'm not going to be able to use a fancy humidifier like I wanted, with a humidistat and electricity, that would be connected to the furnace and not run in the summer, and which would turn off the humidifier (I think) or if I turned off the furnace.

There are still only 3 inches' clearance, and the fancy ones need at least 9. But the one I have only needs an inch and a half! And last night I found that the model I've been using for the last 25 years is still for sale**. Plus it's shorter and narrower and doesn't even have to go behind the flue. But the only way to turn it off is to turn off the water.

When I installed it, the saddke valve I put in was easy enough to reach, just stand on a ladder, but I've filled the space in front of it with pieces of plywood, lumber, and miscellaneous. So now I'll put the valve on a bracket an inch or two from the big heating duct and ten inches from the humidifier.

**I looked for the company about 7 years ago and couldnt' find anything on the web about it. The web was already big then, but established manufacturers that sold only wholesale (except for repair parts) could deal with the same buyers and get along without a webpage. But now it has one complete with catalog, specs, individual items, etc. Although even now, when I google, it's about 10th or 20th down from the top, even though the entries higher up are also about it. Usually google puts the actual company website first.

It still sells mine and it sells lots of new fancy models. It seems before all I could find was Aprilaire and Honeywell.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Actually, it was 140 different 1/4 valves, though I didnt' look all the way to the end of the list. (I didnt' search for 1/4" because I wasnt' sure how to write it, so 1/4 probably includes 1 1/4 and 2 1/4 etc .)

Like a lot of places they won't tell you the shipping charge before you give them your credit card number, but it turns out, they won't tell you before you complete the order!! Maybe not until you get the credit card bill.

But everyone agrees they are normal price or downright cheap.

mm

? "mm" wrote

They charge actual shipping, not some inflated number to boost profit. I've ordered from them hundreds of times, but on open account. Great service.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

As others have pointed out, a "globe valve" ain't a ball valve.

The globe valve is you basic bottom on the line brass valve. The hollow "globe" is where the metering of the fluid takes place. Typicall the water flows into the bottom of the globe. A partition with a hole is the "valve seat." The valve stem enters from the top.

The true "globe valve" is "in-line." From the side you can see the basic globe shape.

Some "gate valves" have some of the shape features of a globe valve.

Modern plastics make the ball valve just about the only way to go for full on OR full off valves. The globe valve is good as a metering valve. After some service they often don't provide leak proof shut off.

Reply to
John Gilmer