Does Fix a Flat work?

Page 2 of 2
On 08/24/05 10:46 am Red Cloud tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My point was that, if in some countries one can be required to demonstrate the ability to change a wheel in order to be allowed to drive, it surely cannot be impossible for any adult -- even your "diminutive wife" -- to change a wheel and thus replace one with a punctured tire by the spare. Has she tried? If she truly was unable to do so, were the nuts overtightened?
Perce

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

That's a just plain stupid statement that neither requires, nor deserves specific rebuttal.
rusty redcloud

Not as stupid as you advocating that fix-a-flat should always be used except for blow out situations.

Last time I used fix a flat My daily drive is 24 miles one way on a state highway middle of no where Heavy truck traffic in the dark and in the winter time most area's were down to one lane made it to a intersection pop trunk hmmm blow up mini spare or a can of fix a flat? Then Got the same line from the min. wage tire patching Wally world jerk when told I'd need a patch all the gunk cleaned out and rebalance

the goop inside the tire but that was with the old Spare Tire In A Can stuff. Nobody has complained in the last several years but I only go to America's Tires now and they are a lot more professional than other places. Heck, they will even fix a flat for free even if you didn't buy your tires from them.

Goodbye, troll!
rusty redcloud

I've seen 6' guys 300# unable to get lug nuts off. Shit happens, carry a can of fix a flat.

Back when I was a kid I bought an old beater car and drove it for a few years. When I finally got a flat, I could not get the lugnuts off. Fortunately the flat occurred near my home, so I was able to walk home and get some "real tools". Even with socket on a breaker bar with a piece of pipe over the handle, and a friend to help, we could not get off the rusted lugnuts. We finally had to get a tow truck to take the car to a nearby service station and they could not get the nuts off with an impact wrench. It took a torch to finally get them off. Ever since, the first thing I do when I get a used car is take off all the lugnuts and grease the threads. I have an impact wrench so that helps. Everyone should do this BEFORE they get a flat somewhere out on the road.
Thanks for all the info about the fix-a-flat. I have never used it, and after reading this thread, I probably never will unless it's an absolute emergency. I have had a can for years, but I have always changed the tire. Most of the time the tire is shot by the time I get stopped anyhow. Those small leak flats mostly occur when the car is parked from a nail or something. When the car is on the highway the tire is ususlly destroyed before the car stops.
I thought I was right when I told my friend to get a his tire patched, and thought the fix-a-flat was only temporary. I just wanted to be sure about this. I know what the can says, but I wanted to see what others said.
One question though. What is the gunk that has to be cleaned out of a tire after using fix-a-flat? I mean, what is it made of? Does anyone know?
Good day !
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:41:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

This wasn't a Chrysler product was it? Old MOPARs had left hand threads on the left side lug nuts.
After they got torched off they usually got replaced with standard right hand lugs.
You, I like. Actually, that's one of the first things I do with a vehicle, to bust loose the lugs and grease the threads. Very wise.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Ah OK. I was wondering who the suckers were that use Fix a Flat. Now I know.

What an idiot! Flat Fix works great. Maybe someone could loan you the 5 bucks for a can.
rusty redcloud

I don't doubt that it works. I just laugh at all the people who make a big mess out of their tires because they don't know how or are too scared to change their tire.

It doesn't matter that it makes a mess. The mess can be cleaned up a lot easier than the mess you make when you get run over by a semi on the highway as you foolishly attempt to change a tire that could be quickly sealed and inflated without all that danger. You are a fool. I know how to change a tire, and have done it many times. Unlike you, I also have a brain and the ability to do things in better ways. Changing a tire by the side of a busy highway should only be done if there is no other option. You sound like a Darwin candidate.
rusty redcloud

Looks like the troll caught one ;-)
No offence.
I've tried the cans with the white nipple on top, which work barely if at all.
The more expensive kind with the hose and the push button seem to work well for me.
They contain some kind of latex product which dries after awhile. The instruction is to drive the vehicle after inflating, so the latex is evenly distributed. Fix and park, and the stuff hardens in one spot inside the tire.
It's also wise to carry a little compressor. Wiser still, is to keep the tires properly inflated, and replace tires before they go bald.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.