Does Fix a Flat work?

It's not intended to fix anything permanently. If a person can read the label on the can they will be aware of that fact. It will not fix rim leaks or larger leaks. The major advantage is that it will put a bit of air in a flat tire and perhaps enable a person to get to a repair station. It's easy to use and a non-technical person can use it. On the downside it throws the tire off balance, can be flammable, and is very messy when the tire is finally fixed. A better idea for the person who can do so is to carry one of those little 12V compressors to blow their tire up in an emergency. A further step would be to learn how to plug a flat tire from the outside with a kit.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Does Fix a Flat work?

I was told by a guy that he used it when he got a flat and it did not pump up his tire completely, but got enough pressure to get to a gas station with air. However, he said that was 6 weeks ago, and the tire never leaked again.

While I do think the stuff will pump up a tire with a small leak, I tend to question the permanence of the repair. I know I would have had the tire in the shop the next day. I just can not see how this stuff can make a permanent patch on any tire.

What is your opinion and experience?

Reply to
anoldfart2

I tried it once and it didn't. However, the nail was still in the tire when I tried the fix-a-flat.

I'm guessing it might have worked for a nail puncture if the nail was removed.

Reply to
c_kubie

I always carried a can on my motorcycle treks. Had to use it once. It worked great and kept the tire full until it needed to be changed because it wore out. I agree it's only a temp fix on a car tire.

Reply to
yustr

I get a lot of flats. Just unlucky I guess. In my experience it's best NOT to use the rasp that comes with some plug kits because it can further damage the steel belt inside the tire. I only use the plug applicators that are closed on the end--some have a slot cut into the end and I've never understood why. I use a lot of rubber cement, push the plug all the way into the tire, and back it out carefully until it is exposed and then cut it off with a razor blade. I then add a small amount of Fix-A-Flat and drive on it soon. I have a 12 volt compressor/tire inflater (they only cost about $10-$12) which I use to fill the tire. I have had many plugs last the life of the tire with this method. But I agree it is still better to have the tire profesionally repaired.

For the most part Fix-A-Flat or whatever is really great for getting you out of a bad spot and to a place where you can either safely put on the spare of get your tire repaired. It's also good for bicycle tires and small wheels that won't hold air for very long.

Reply to
Ulysses

Looks like the troll caught one ;-)

No offence.

Reply to
Ulysses

I've plugged them many, many times, and never had one fail. Always have driven them until time to replace the tires. However, I only use the plugs that are like a pipe cleaner covered with tar. I don't like the rubber plug style. The pipe cleaner style do not need adhesive, other than the tar saturation.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Go to your local autoparts store. Buy a kit $5. Read instructions. I keep a kit in my truck at all times. It amazes people :P Of course youll need the pump too.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

On 08/24/05 09:09 am Red Cloud© tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I've read that in some European countries changing a wheel is part of the driving test.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I've used it several times, and it always got me home. Your friend is correct that it didn't fill the tire to full pressure. Once you get going, you need to find a gas station with an air pump. The best practice is to then deflate the tire and refill it to blow any of the glue out of the valve, where it can cause problems. I do not and would not consider it a permanent repair, although I wouldn't be surprised if it held permanently. There is no substitute for a real patch on the inside, other than replacement of the tire.

Be sure to give the tire mechanic a good tip, as he is going to use up half a roll of paper towel wiping that crud out when he does the patch job.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

On 08/24/05 09:37 am Red Cloud© tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

Reply to
Goedjn

On 08/24/05 10:46 am Red Cloud© tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My point was that, if in some countries one can be required to demonstrate the ability to change a wheel in order to be allowed to drive, it surely cannot be impossible for any adult -- even your "diminutive wife" -- to change a wheel and thus replace one with a punctured tire by the spare. Has she tried? If she truly was unable to do so, were the nuts overtightened?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Sure, most of the time. However it IS NOT a fix, it is a trip home or to the tyre store. It is not intended for long time use. It also can be a pain for anyone working on the tyre after you use it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My opinion is to always carry a spare tire and use that when you have a flat.

Reply to
User Example

Back when I was a kid I bought an old beater car and drove it for a few years. When I finally got a flat, I could not get the lugnuts off. Fortunately the flat occurred near my home, so I was able to walk home and get some "real tools". Even with socket on a breaker bar with a piece of pipe over the handle, and a friend to help, we could not get off the rusted lugnuts. We finally had to get a tow truck to take the car to a nearby service station and they could not get the nuts off with an impact wrench. It took a torch to finally get them off. Ever since, the first thing I do when I get a used car is take off all the lugnuts and grease the threads. I have an impact wrench so that helps. Everyone should do this BEFORE they get a flat somewhere out on the road.

Thanks for all the info about the fix-a-flat. I have never used it, and after reading this thread, I probably never will unless it's an absolute emergency. I have had a can for years, but I have always changed the tire. Most of the time the tire is shot by the time I get stopped anyhow. Those small leak flats mostly occur when the car is parked from a nail or something. When the car is on the highway the tire is ususlly destroyed before the car stops.

I thought I was right when I told my friend to get a his tire patched, and thought the fix-a-flat was only temporary. I just wanted to be sure about this. I know what the can says, but I wanted to see what others said.

One question though. What is the gunk that has to be cleaned out of a tire after using fix-a-flat? I mean, what is it made of? Does anyone know?

Good day !

Reply to
anoldfart2

I have a spare tire, but it's a lot safer when pulled over on the shoulder to quickly apply flat fix and get going, rather than start jacking things up, struggling with stubborn lugnuts, and walking around the car as you swap tires. It's also nicer in bad weather, or if you are in a less than pleasant neighborhood. The spare tire is reserved for a real "blow out" that flat fix can't handle because the tire is split wide open or shredded.

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

Ah OK. I was wondering who the suckers were that use Fix a Flat. Now I know.

Reply to
User Example

What an idiot! Flat Fix works great. Maybe someone could loan you the

5 bucks for a can.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

Didn't know that was possible. Please explain.

Reply to
Toller