Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

Reply to
Art Deco

Stop top posting, fish.

Reply to
Real Friendly Neighborhood Vot

I can tell you off now, if you really want.

Reply to
Real Friendly Neighborhood Vot

There have been numerous incidents where you misquoted a poster. Why didn't you use the exact quote?

Reply to
Real Friendly Neighborhood Vot

Everybody has a certain effect on other people. Your effect is being fishy.

Reply to
Real Friendly Neighborhood Vot

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:34:11 -0500, Keith Gave us:

You're a f****ng retard, boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Copper wires melt at a higher temperature to any solde you may use.

If there is a lot of heat generated in the circuitry you could melt the solder.

The orders of magnitude of *linear* expansion of the metals you refer to

Aluminium (pure) alpha = 23*10^-6 (20 at 200K, 23.2 at 300K, 24.9 at 400K,

26.4 at 500K, 28.3 600, 33.8 at 800K you could graph it from that)

Copper (pure) alpha = 13.7 *10^-6 (15.1 at 200K, 16.8, 17.7, 18.3, 18.9, 20 at 800K)

per deltaKelvin.

melting point Al= 933K, Cu=1356.

if you find the data for the solder you use you can calculate your expansion characteristics (absolute and relative) and also check to see if your solder will melt.

Using the data for the thermo-electric effects and the dimensions of the lines inquestion you cna calculate the heat evolved by the current in the lines, terminals and all.

Reply to
Billy H

Is there any reason to consider tinning the ends when fixing through a screw terminal? The surface area of contact would be increased at the contact I suppose, and thereby increase the area of contact for the passage of electrons, but the cables should never be used *at capacity*. Next thought is on how the crimped terminals of the wires lose area of contact for passage of electrons and hence the heat evolved on the lines at the terminal(s) increases as a proportion borne on each line. Hence consideration would lead me to increase cable sizes and design cable sizes for the terminals; the specifications being based upon the surface area made at the fixing and the heat I would wish to allow there.

Reply to
Billy H

That's a good idea. The problem of lost contact area is assuaged somewhat by the fact of coating the wire and the terminal with solder. Other problems inside the connection are negated.

Reply to
Billy H

Slagging matches so piss me off in usenet posting.

Life is too short to be caught up reading about some fools' gripes with another in the middle of a serious discussion.

Makes it sound like Parliament. Part of the reason the country is run by lawyers methinks.

Reply to
Billy H

If you *get inside* a soldered or tinned end and think of the strands, how the electricity actually *moves* then the concept begins to open up. Electricity travels on the surface of the circuitry. For wires the area of travel is the surface area of the cable, Length*Pi*diameter. Adding solder changes the surface areas and if you blob the terminal rather than tin the strands you change the surface area of the wire and hence the physical characteristics of the cable.

Reply to
Billy H

We should have a f***in age limit put on these groups.

Anyone who posts s**te should be disenfranchised.

Reply to
Billy H

Billy H Is tickled pink by your wit. But doesn't think you of much of a mature mind neither.

Reply to
Billy H

Bullshit.

The only true understanding is a true interpretation.

Corinthians 2:36

All statutes are open for interpretation, a judge in court interprets the statute when he passes judgement, he can do no more.

It's the only due reason I give to politicians who wish to change the present law if it is old but correct. Old English language is more difficult for the lay person to interpret and hence to understand than modern language.

But then we are not all of the same intellect, patience or will.

Reply to
Billy H

"Billy H" wrote in message news:43e61040$0$6963$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

My apologies

2 corinthians chapter 3 line 6.

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit:for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Billy H

You still should not blob the end of the wire or you'd lose surface area and increase heat. Tinning strands leads to creep problems, which was an enlightneing thing to read in here.

Reply to
Billy H

You have bored me stupid.

[...]

I'm cross posting to uk.legal.moderated and uk.legal. just for a laff!

--

Reply to
Billy H

Just pointing out what *you* said, kid.

Reply to
Keith

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:56:21 -0000, "Billy H" Gave us:

Bullshit Copper has a higher melt point temperature than any solder you may use. You MIGHT have been attempting to refer to the insulation on SOME types of wire. If so, you failed miserably.

Odd statement there. If there is that much heat generated at a connection node, the wiring installation has much more deeper seated problems than melted solder.

Jeez, you are so far off base. It is truly pathetic. Solder creep has to do with physical, mechanical stress, not temperature.

The heat in ANY properly installed circuit will never reach the melting point of ANY metal used in the industry.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs