Does Carbon Monoxide rise or fall?

Page 1 of 2
I was just reading a sad news story about a couple who died in a camper from carbon monoxide, yet their small dog who was also in the trailer, survived. Here's the article: http://www.wapt.com/cnn-news/18639776/detail.html
I'd suspect the dog would most likely have been on the floor. Does carbon Monoxide rise to the ceiling? I used to think it filled the whole room evenly, but now I wonder if this is not true.
Anyone know?
Thanks
LM

Why don't you rent a camper and a generator, lay down on the floor and then let us all know the outcome.

It's slightly lighter than air, so it will rise. My critters sleep on the bed, yours don't?
h wrote:

mine sleep outside where animals belong.
Steve Barker wrote:

Oh, I don't know. When I tell a new woman: "I used to not be a snuggler until I got a cat. Now I can't sleep without some cuddling," almost always results in her wanting to displace the feline.
Steve Barker wrote:

Hmmm, I thought human is animal too, No?, LOL!
Tony Hwang wrote:

only certain ones of them....

PLONK.
h wrote:

yourloss.
Steve Barker wrote:

I agree. In some parts of the South, the temperature is described as a "one-dog" night, a "two-dog" night, and so on.
HeyBub wrote:

In my neighborhood, that's called a "date". :o)
HeyBub wrote:

I like the three dog night. Many good songs out of them.
steve
On Feb 11, 2:45pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Try Depends under garments, tent size.
h wrote:

Hi, Our dog leeps on the floor beside bed, cat sleeps on the bed.

Well, you could look up the density of CO online... The short answer is that it's very slightly less dense than air, but not enough to make any real difference. It neither rises nor falls, but mixes pretty well evenly.
Density of air at 0 deg C = 1.29 grams / liter Density of CO at 0 deg C = 1.25 grams / liter
On Feb 11, 5:06am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Consider cold fresh air entering a leaky home, it is heavier and should go to the floor first before mixing.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 04:34:33 -0800 (PST), ransley

Cmon ransley. That's EXACTLY the poor information that can get someone killed because you don't seem to understand the properties of CO. Carbon Monoxide mixes with the air almost evenly so you will find it at the floor, at the ceiling, in between, on the wall, at the steps, on the bed, under the bed, etc.......in other words everywhere. It doesn't discriminate who or what it finds. Who knows why the dog lived. Maybe the dog was very strong and healthy? Young children, the elderly and the sickly are more susceptible to CO poisoning. Bubba
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:06:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

If cold, CO will tend to sink to the floor. Otherwise it is about the same density as air. In theory the CO "wants to" fill the room evenly. CO is in equilibrium with carbon dioxide, so we get a very small amount of CO naturally.

In a word -- no. It won't. No more than cold air will.

Cold CO has almost exactly the same density as cold air. Warm CO has almost exactly the same density as warm air.
It mixes and spreads. It doesn't sink to the floor. It doesn't rise to the ceiling.

*All* gases diffuse to fill their containers. So what?
Phisherman wrote:

Trivia question: Most smokers have more CO in their blood from smoking. Do more smokers die from accidental CO than non-smokers because the smokers have a "head start"?