Does Carbon Monoxide rise or fall?

I was just reading a sad news story about a couple who died in a camper from carbon monoxide, yet their small dog who was also in the trailer, survived. Here's the article:

I'd suspect the dog would most likely have been on the floor. Does carbon Monoxide rise to the ceiling? I used to think it filled the whole room evenly, but now I wonder if this is not true.

Anyone know?

Thanks

LM

Reply to
letterman

Why don't you rent a camper and a generator, lay down on the floor and then let us all know the outcome.

Reply to
Sanity

It's slightly lighter than air, so it will rise. My critters sleep on the bed, yours don't?

Well, you could look up the density of CO online... The short answer is that it's very slightly less dense than air, but not enough to make any real difference. It neither rises nor falls, but mixes pretty well evenly.

Density of air at 0 deg C = 1.29 grams / liter Density of CO at 0 deg C = 1.25 grams / liter

Reply to
Doug Miller

Consider cold fresh air entering a leaky home, it is heavier and should go to the floor first before mixing.

Reply to
ransley

mine sleep outside where animals belong.

Steve Barker

Oh, I don't know. When I tell a new woman: "I used to not be a snuggler until I got a cat. Now I can't sleep without some cuddling," almost always results in her wanting to displace the feline.

Reply to
HeyBub

Try Depends under garments, tent size.

Reply to
ransley

Cmon ransley. That's EXACTLY the poor information that can get someone killed because you don't seem to understand the properties of CO. Carbon Monoxide mixes with the air almost evenly so you will find it at the floor, at the ceiling, in between, on the wall, at the steps, on the bed, under the bed, etc.......in other words everywhere. It doesn't discriminate who or what it finds. Who knows why the dog lived. Maybe the dog was very strong and healthy? Young children, the elderly and the sickly are more susceptible to CO poisoning. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hi, Our dog leeps on the floor beside bed, cat sleeps on the bed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, I thought human is animal too, No?, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

only certain ones of them....

Reply to
Steve Barker

If cold, CO will tend to sink to the floor. Otherwise it is about the same density as air. In theory the CO "wants to" fill the room evenly. CO is in equilibrium with carbon dioxide, so we get a very small amount of CO naturally.

Reply to
Phisherman

The atomic number of C is 6, and the weight is about 12.

The atomic number of O is 8, and the weight is about 16.

(The same number of neutrons as protons. Same number of electrons too but they weigh very little.

So the weight of a CO molecule is about 28.

The atomic number of N is 7, and the weight is about 14.

So the weight of an N2 molecule is about 28. N2 is about 78% of air iirc.

The atomic number of 0 is still8, and the weight is about 16.

So the weight of O2 is about 32. 02 is about 21% of the air, which added to the N2 is about 99% of the air.

There are small amounts of other gases in the air. I never knew or forget the details. OK, I looked and it's almost 1% argon, 0.038% CO2.

So the oxygen is a little heavier than the N2 and CO, and the CO is about the same as the nitrogen which is most of the air.

But I do vaguely recall that they are right, the various gases mix quite a bit with each other, probably because they are gases.

Reply to
mm

In a word -- no. It won't. No more than cold air will.

Cold CO has almost exactly the same density as cold air. Warm CO has almost exactly the same density as warm air.

It mixes and spreads. It doesn't sink to the floor. It doesn't rise to the ceiling.

*All* gases diffuse to fill their containers. So what?
Reply to
Doug Miller

After reading that ..... the anwser to the question ...... "Where do I mount CO detectors, on the ceiling, wall or near the floor" ........... remains the same ......

Yes.

Reply to
Jim

PLONK.

yourloss.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Trivia question: Most smokers have more CO in their blood from smoking. Do more smokers die from accidental CO than non-smokers because the smokers have a "head start"?

Reply to
norminn

I agree. In some parts of the South, the temperature is described as a "one-dog" night, a "two-dog" night, and so on.

Reply to
HeyBub