Does Bleach Really Kill Mold?

Page 2 of 2

Most of the mold is on the surface of wood. Chlorine will fix that. It will also make it disappear. Other products might kill, but not make it disappear. They often sand blast using dry ice. Just keep things dry afterward.
Greg
Bleach doesn't kill mold?
Every time I put bleach on mold, the mold disappears and the surface remains clean for weeks afterward.
Have I just been halucinating that all my life?
--
nestork

This is baloney. Bleach is an alkaline oxidizing agent. A rather powerful one, but of course it depends on quantity and concentration. Although pretty darn strong, household bleach isn't the strongest solution of sodium hypochlorite one could have.
Wood is a porous structure made of materials that are organic, and thus many parts are suceptible to oxidation. The porous structure would allow molds to grow into the wood to various depth. On other words, if the mold has had a long time to grow on or in the wood, and of course depending on the wood's porosity structure, it might take a long time for the bleach to reach all of the mold's "tentacles". By that time the alkaline bleach might either have completely digested the wood, or lost its strength while oxidizing all that organic wood material. So I could understand the statement bleach can't kill the mold totally.
Another aspect is the dioxins. These are complex organic molecules with chlorine atoms covalently bound. You'd get these because there are complex organic molecules in the wood that could react with the chlorine in the bleach. Hence in some countries the use of bleach is restricted or use is not recommended. The brown coffee filters that are sold are the result: Paper is used that isn't bleached to prevent dioxins from contaminating the filters AND "poison" you after they leach out of the paper of the filter. Of course since you may still be smoking cigarettes, that shouldn't make a difference <grin!!>.
--
Best regards
Han

ow

I hate it when these people 'assume' and then attribute those characteristics to everything. The conclusion is bleach KILLS mold. Mold on different surfaces is different.therefore bleach may kill mold differently on those surfaces. Again, it is irritating to be told bleach doesn't kill mold, when they have included other limiting conditions WITHOUT delineating those conditions.

interestingly in my new microwave's manual, it says don't cover food with paper towels that are from recycled paper, nor use paper plates that are from recycled paper, because recycled paper contains metal and will overheat. Say what?! Just how contaminated is this recycled paper?
Hmmm...poisoned from bleach residue, or poisoned from ??? Let's see, incurable tuberculosis, black mold, 'super' bacterias, ecoli, salmonella, etc etc. I think I'll take my chances with the bleach residue.