Does Australia have similar cellphone "related" accident rates as the United States

Page 1 of 6  
Interesting facts that give insight to the answer to the question in the subject line are at this Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association site: http://www.keepyoureyesontheroad.org.au/pages/Accident-statistics-Cont#
This is a verbatim quote: "If using mobile phones is significantly dangerous then we could expect to see a dramatic increase in traffic accidents in the last decade. In fact, the reverse is true." The AMTA indicates that a tenth of 1 percent of Australian crashes are "related" to illegal cellphone use: http://www.keepyoureyesontheroad.org.au/pages/Accident-statistics-Cont# "Between 1997 and 2011 there were around 50,000 crashes each year on NSW roads and less than 0.1 per cent of all crashes were related to illegal hand-held mobile phone use."
Two caveats: - We need to know what they mean by "related", and, - We need to explore what they mean by "illegal" cellphone use.
You'll note that they say about Australia the same things I've been saying about the USA, which is: "Almost all Australian drivers now own a mobile phone, but the road fatality reduction has continued despite the exponential increase in mobile phone ownership over the last two decades. "
They do point out an interesting quirk of the statistics, which I hadn't thought about, but which makes sense at face value: "the dramatic increase in use of mobiles also increases the chance of a fatal crash occurring when a driver is using a mobile phone (both legally or illegally) and this may or may not be a causal association."
There is one other interesting statistic: "A recent analysis of 340 serious casualty crashes in Victoria and NSW between 2000 and 2011, using data gleaned from forensic examination of crash scenes and anonymous interviews with drivers has found that in 0.9 per cent of crashes the driver was *using* a mobile phone."
Caveat: - Using a cellphone does not mean the accident was caused by using it!
They summarize the situation in Australia as: http://www.keepyoureyesontheroad.org.au/pages/Accident-statistics-Cont "While mobile phones are a real distraction in the car and their use can result in serious accidents, real life accident data indicates that mobile phone use does not contribute significantly to crashes or fatalities."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 17:34:51 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, we've heard your fantastic fabrications before...
You've already many times intimated that mathematically clever aliens have exactly negated the astoundingly huge number of accidents that your model predicts, exactly matching not only the date that cellphone ownership started to rise, but also exactly matching the exact very steep tangential rise, and even precisely adjusting their clever negating effects by forming a plateau at exactly the point where cellphone ownership reached 100%.
They are indeed clever those aliens you suggest who manipulated the record, such that there isn't ANYTHING whatsoever in the accident record which shows any effect whatsoever.
Mind you, your clever aliens still have our damn bomber and we want it back!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Sunday_Sport.jpg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just how many of you are there between those ears, fuckwit troll ?
Not a single fabrication from anyone by you, fuckwit troll.
<reams of your desperate attempts to bullshit and lie your way out of your predicament that any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong, fuckwit troll>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 19:18:21 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Rod, I'm gonna assume you are an adult, and speak to you like an adult would.
I show the facts, as you can read them yourself. You say that the facts are distorted by some unknown force or forces.
We both realize that this "can" happen, just as a WWII bomber "can" be on the moon.
But it's almost impossible "to" happen. So for you to constantly insist that it *did* happen, is, in essence, a fantastic fabrication.
You don't prove it. You just say it. You may as well continue to argue that the WWII Bomber is still on the moon!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Sunday_Sport.jpg
Do you supply any proof of your fantastic assertion? Nope.
How am I going to prove to you that a WWII bomber is NOT on the moon? I can't.
And that's exactly what you rely your *entire* rebuttal upon.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<reams of your pathetic excuse for trolling flushed where it belongs>

That is a bare faced like with that shit being discussed.
Not a single fact was shown at all, you silly little pathological liar.

More of your bare faced lies/pathetic excuse for a troll.
What I ACTUALLY said was that the fatality rate keeps dropping significantly due to a variety of factors like better roads, particularly with fully divided freeways, and due to much better cars that make accident survival much more likely and that that is what swamps any increase in fatalitys due to the few fools like you actually stupid enough to use their phones while driving.
<all the rest of your bare faced lies/pathetic excuse for trolling flushed where it belongs>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 07:33:21 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

You are not an adult, or, you don't know what a hypertext link is. Either way, this conversation is over because I prefer to converse with adults.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That hypertext link didn’t have a single fact in it, you silly little pathological liar.
ALL it had in it was more lies and OPINION.

More of your lies.
<reams of your lies flushed where they belong>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm sure you posted all this to make a point. What is it?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 00:56:59 +1100, Gordon Levi wrote:

While most people only care about fantasy, I only care about facts.
Both in Australia, and in the United States, the fact is that cellphones aren't any more distracting than talking to a passenger, which means that cellphones are just another distraction added to an already long list of (more distracting) distractions.
Says so right here: "NHTSA Distracted Driving 2014 Summary of Statistical Findings" https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812260
The result of adding yet another distraction to an already long list of distractions is not even measurable in the real world!
Fact is the _use_ of cellphones while driving in the USA is consistently at about 2% for texting and at abuot 5% for handheld use while driving (with visible-headset use roughly around half of a percent): https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812326
That means, even though millions of miles have been driven in the USA with the user looking directly at cellphones (texting) or talking on a cellphone, the accident rate in both Australia and in the United States has not been affected one bit by the utter explosion of cellphone use in both countries.
Says so in the OP, and says so right here for the USA: http://www2.census.gov/library/publications/2011/compendia/statab/131ed/tables/12s1109.xls More of the same can be found here: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/#
Fact is, anyone who _thinks_ cellphones "cause" accidents, probably also believes that a WWII Bomber _was_ found on the moon!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Sunday_Sport.jpg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Per Algeria Horan:

I would disagree with that.
When a driver is talking to a passenger there is an unspoken covenant: driving comes first... and the conversation ebbs and flows around that understanding. Same thing with CB radios.
OTOH, the person on the other end of a cell phone call has no such understanding and the driver tends to keep up the conversation no matter what is happening around the vehicle.
Also, the operation of a cell phone seems to take some degree of the driver's attention. I do not see drivers conversing with passengers and wandering back-and-forth across lane lines - OTOH I see that regularly with drivers talking on the phone. Dunno what they are doing, but they are clearly doing something besides driving.
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

they have the same understanding as anyone else would, and cb radio is not always mobile either.
"hi, i'm driving, but wanted to call you about..."
plus, the driver can always toss the phone on the seat at any time, for any reason, if traffic conditions demand it (or even if they don't).

then you aren't looking very hard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nospam wrote:

carried on the same as when I used two way radio, usually short and sweet and the phone conversion gets ignored when driving requires more concentration. I do concede that some drivers get immersed in the phone conversation to the detriment of driving . Has anyone watched the tests of phone use on a track ? How many stop using the phone when negotiating cones or emergencies as a sensible user would, do they use psychological tricks to keep the subject talking on the phone?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:53:30 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Pilots are taught: Aviate, navigate, communicate.
I don't know what a cute corollary is for driving, but the concept is universal to operating any dangerous machinery.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ours arent.

And only fools like you don’t even notice that using a cellphone while doing that is worse for your driving.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 17:34:29 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

You are an amazing idiot.
In fact, you are a poster child for idiots to marvel at.
You don't even *look* before sputtering that any fact you don't happen to like is untrue.
Yyou work completely off of your opinions, facts be damned. You're so very wrong so very often that I wonder if you're ever right.
Australian ABF Pilot Training Manual http://www.hotairflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ABF-Pilot-Training-M anual-Part-1.pdf
Flight Safety Australia September-October 2012 http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2016/03/qf32-and-the-black-swan/
Australian Flight Simulator Software Description http://www.adacel.com/press/2010/ada_pr2010_07_simjet.pdf etc.
--
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été v?
?rifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What a stunning line in adult conversation you have there, hypocrite.

That isnt a fact and I don’t like or dislike it either.

Corse you never ever do anything like that yourself, eh ?

Says the clown who has just made a very spectacular fool of itself waving around completely irrelevant stats of what happens with CARS STOPPED AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

Not one of which ever says anything like 'Aviate, navigate, communicate'
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:51:36 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

The exact phrase is in *every* one of them. Again, all you're proving is that you don't look at facts.
You just make everything up.
--
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été v?
?rifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Those arent TAUGHT, fuckwit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 09:08:09 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

The more you try to prove you're NOT an idiot, the more you prove you are...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You never ever could bullshit and lie your way out of a wet paper bag, you silly little pathological liar/pathetic excuse for a lying troll.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.