does anyone sell rivet nuts?

subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

None of the big box places seem to carry them. Harbor Freight carries them and a combo pop-rivit / rivit nut setter. MSC, McMaster, ENCO and the like will have them as well.
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

I had some aluminum slugs that were oblong and pop riveted that to the door and then riveted the bracket to the slug. Better than new. No screws to come loose. I also thought about using an EMT oblong box cover to accomplish the same thing but being a cheap *** I used what I had. You may just be able to rivet the bracket to the door; avoid screws they are what loosen and cause the problems. The nutsetters also need a tool that can be quite expensive.
--
Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Add pictures here
✖
Tekkie® wrote:

I tried, but if you go to their web site you'll see it's impossible to post a direct link to a product :(

No they don't - I've faked them before. If you have a long bolt, a nut, and a flat washer you can set them without the tool, although it takes some time. Put a nut on the bolt then set a flat washer on it and thread the whole mess into the rivet nut. Insert it into the hole, then hold the bolt head with one wrench and run the nut down with the other. When it bottoms, unscrew the bolt. et voila.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖
Drill through the door, and then use longer machine screws. Nuts, or nylon stop nuts. Washers, plenty of washers.
Failing that, pop rivets, or Harbor Freight used to have nut rivets. But, the longer machine screws is the best idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Nate Nagel wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/68gqt8
Manufacturer's site:
http://www.huck.com/marsoncorp/index.html
I bought them at NAPA. The company slaps one of their brand name labels on the case but they're identical. I used to build glass storefronts and install automatic doors so the tools are a must for that sort of work. With all the things I build and repair, I couldn't get along without them. I also have a few cheaper ones from Harbor Freight. NAPA stores stock the Riv-Nuts and Poly-Nuts. I frequent several hardware suppliers in my area that stock different brand threaded inserts but they all work well. Darn, I just remembered another source for all kinds of the things, it's CRL C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.
http://tinyurl.com/6oeldf
http://tinyurl.com/653cdm
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, I might just have to order one of those kits, because it's a huge PITA to run out and find the right size insert when I don't have one in my "stash." Unfortunately I don't even have a NAPA nearby - I do have a good local parts chain though, I might have to stop by and just ask them if they sell something similar. My area seems to be rather DIY-unfriendly, I guess that happens when you move to an "affluent" neighborhood. Got an object lesson in that last night when a friend stopped by to borrow some tools that he just couldn't find... (he has enough money to buy them, but just couldn't find what he needed.)
nate
Add pictures here
✖