does anyone make a toilet seat with solid stainless fittings?

subject line says all...
replaced toilet seat last year. SWMBO does not like plastic hinges as they do tend to look grungy after only short use. So we found a simple white painted wood seat with antique-looking chrome plated hinges. Assumed they were brass. Were mistaken - they're pot metal, as I can see now that the chrome is peeling off.
I just want a toilet seat that will last more than a year. Any suggestions?
thanks,
nate
PS - whenever possible, try to avoid being the person that cleans the bathroom after both residents have been sick for a week. YHBW.
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

maybe 568800 or others at hdsupplysolutions
buffalobill wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear... SWMBO does not like any kind of plastic hinges, caps, whatever- she says it makes it impossible to clean properly, collects grunge, and the plastic yellows and looks nasty anyway. I tend to agree but don't really care that much. But anyway here is what I believe we have:
if there were something just like that but with actual quality, non-corroding hinges, that would probably make her day. Or at least a couple minutes, anyway.
thanks,
Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

any comment on these "solid brass toilet hinges?"
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product8018
thinking of ordering one. For $20, it'd be nice. Plus then I wouldn't have to buy a whole 'nother seat.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I'd like to know if they come in elongated versions.
badgolferman wrote:

Never mind, I see it's just the hinge and not the seat also.
badgolferman wrote:

they do sell whole seats too. I just sucked it up and ordered, if nothing else to get a catalog as well. I hadn't seen their web site before and I think that looking through the catalog with SWMBO might yield some design ideas. (I know, website, blah blah blah but sometimes a paper catalog is still better.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

1. The chrome will erode just as it did from your pot metal hinges.
2. The brass (sans chrome) will get grungy and green.
3. Your original thought re stainless steel is the best.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Nate Nagel wrote:

Our wives must be sisters or something.
badgolferman wrote:

I'll vote for "or something," unless you're married to someone named Kenny :P
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I should have just stayed out of this conversation...
Nate Nagel wrote:

Groco may. They make a line of toilets for use on ocean going boats.
Boden
Nate Nagel wrote:

Toto:
http://designerplumbingoutlet.com/tosc13401.html

No, in my experience, which is why I have recycled the chrome/stainless hinges from the last two seats I replaced.

The plastic is the way to go. Recently I bought a (plastic molded) Eljer toilet seat/lid for $50, seems expensive for what it is. The screws are nylon. The plastic hinges are easy to keep clean and don't rust. Walmart has seats for $12, although these are not quality.

You might want to look at Pressalit. All of my toilets have Pressalit seats and the hinges are stainless steel and solid brass. It also has quick release feature to lift the entire seat off. The only problem is that they tend to be pricier at over $100 a seat, so it can be more expensive than some toilets.

What's a SWMBO ???? Is it the same as a BIMBO ???? =======================================================Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
On Sat 29 Nov 2008 09:38:57a, Ron in NY told us...

Its the same in my book.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Ron in NY wrote:

Not unless you have a very comfortable doghouse.
"She Who Must Be Obeyed". Comes from an H. Rider Haggard novel (and several movies based thereon).
--John