Does anyone make a STURDY Tire Wrench

I just bought a 11/2" taiwanese clone of the SK ball-head swivel ratchet today at Princess Auto for $40.I paid about half that for the original 3/8" SK back in 1969 or 1970 - when I was working for about $2 an hour. The Taiwanese tools are much better than the mainland Chines stuff and this one appears to be as well made as the original S-K which has served me very well for over 40 years. Do S-K and Proto still actually produce their tools in the USA???

Reply to
clare

On 12/30/2014 6:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

If doing one's self, that's generally so; the dealership waits until they've got it all torn down before ordering anything and since most dealerships will only install OEM parts and they don't keep much of anything in stock it's at _least_ the next day if not two whereas if were in stock could've been done that day.

Fortunately we have enough vehicles except for the one 4x4 with the field transport diesel tank that can do without any single one for a day or so but still it's a pain.

NAPA can generally get stuff overnight but we're far removed from large distribution centers out here so it's not guar-on-teed for certain, depending on what it is.

I'm to the age and I've done enough repair on enough that I'd never even consider taking on somebody else's at this point--with a dozen various vehicles from the cars thru the light-, medium- and heavy trucks not counting the tractors, combines, swather, etc., etc., as well all the other implements there's more than enough to keep me in all I care to/needs must do. I've gotten where except for the tractors and trucks larger than the light-duty it's quicker and as cheap to have them all done in town for even just oil/lube...

Reply to
dpb

The local Harley boutique has that down pat. I went over for a very exotic part -- a battery for a Sportster -- and they said they had to order it. O'Reilly's had one for me the next day and $50 cheaper. But if you want $100 gloves and $800 jackets with the proper logo they've got you covered.

Reply to
rbowman

I've played the field and haven't had too many bad experiences except for a Fiat Spyder, but Italian vehicles are really works of art not meant to be driven.

I did have a Firebird with a new design V-6. The rear main seal would rotate and when everything lined up just right it would spray oil over the exhaust pipe. It didn't lose that much oil and it kept the mosquitos under control. It did get old having people telling me my car was on fire. Then it would rotate a little more and seal again. I never bothered to fix it and the car was still going strong at 80,000 when I traded it in on a F150.

My preference is for straight 6's, Ford, Mopar, or GM, they all treated ne good.

Reply to
rbowman

Hi,

++1, ultimately you are in charge of every thing. When I was working I always drove company car. After retiring, I only have had Subarus, Acuras. No thank you for domestic brand cars.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes. The Ford dealership, here, is very good. If they don't have the part today, they'll have it, for sure, tomorrow.

nb

Reply to
notbob

....after they had to "order it".

nb

Reply to
notbob

Similar to my experience. I loved old mopar vehicles and despise Ford products. I've worked on both and the later has been a nightmare to work on for 50 yrs! My Honda Civic was so small, I hadda change out the starter motor by braille!! Yet, my full sized Ford E150 had a straight six in it and it was so difficult to change the no. 1 spark plug, I hadda take it to shop that had lil' Vietnamese working there that were small enought to even reach the no. 1 spark plug cable (which has a special 6" handle to grab)! Despite all my efforts and contortions, I couldn't even reach the cable's handle.

It was even worse was my Lincold Mk IV (pimp car!). Sucker had a hood long enough to hide an entire Honda Civic inside. But, when I had a pwr steering hose fail, I hadda change it out and replace it. Woulda been a piece of cake if Ford engineers had not routed the 1/8" steel brake lines outta the master cylinder right across the only working space around the left side of the 460CID V8. The coulda routed it down and across, which woulda given me all kindsa room, but nooooo! Hadda route that steel line straight outta the M/C right dead center into the middle of said open working space, then down, making removing the P/S hose a freakin' nightmare.

Thanks for nothing, Ford engineers! :|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Maybe, but it'll still be a Ford that day, too!!!! :(

Reply to
dpb

On 12/31/2014 12:20 PM, notbob wrote: ...

That, undoubtedly was the costing guys who figure out they could shorten them by an inch or so and thus make then a penny cheaper...

On the sparkplug clearance and Mopar...the '69 Charger w/ "only" the 383 couldn't replace #8 w/ jacking the engine and loosening tranny mounts to let it move...I've no idea what interference issues there were with the

440 or the 426 hemi. I don't recall which basic blocks were which...

I liked the Mopar then excepting...they all (at least any I ever had) tended to have mysterious electrical "issues". The aforementioned Charger would have intermittent high voltage spikes that would peg every gauge and headlights go _VERY_ bright...would last for 2-3 seconds and gradually return to normal. Replacing regulators never completely resolved it. Extremely scary at night when one is afraid the headlamps are going to burn out and leave you in the total darkness...

Can name a litany of others, as well, but it was a tremendous interstate-cruising vehicle plus they just looked "kewl"... :) Shoulda' had sense to kept it but couldn't afford to just keep a collector vehicle back then as a young 'un fresh out of school...

The other "joy" wasn't really Chrysler's fault but the Holley 4-bbl had a bunch of lead plugs to seal machining access holes. After a day on interstate at temperature, next morning about half of 'em could be counted on to be seeping. Kept a small ball peen hammer specifically for the purpose of reseating them before starting next day's journey. Didn't get hot enough in just day-to-day driving; only long trips...

All in all, the current vehicles are _much_ better of all makes...last Mopar was '99 300M which was bought as was the Charger w/ the express thought of being interstate cruiser. Similar in that were quite nice for the purpose but both having been ordered with "sports" suspension were bone-rattlers on the dirt roads we live on so combined with it's extremely low ground clearance which made it useless for mud ended up trading the 300 not long after we got back to the farm for an Enclave w/ the AWD and large rims for wife's "mud car". Turns out it's also pretty handy as a harvest-time vehicle for taking to the field and all--she likes it much better than the 4x4's given her height challenge...

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like me, when I discovered S-K back in '72. Bought an S-K metric (7mm-19mm) 3/8" drive socket set for $10!!

I recently looked up these two USA mfrs and, yes, they are still made in US. They are also NOT cheap!! I have a metric Proto combo wrench set and it's currently going for over $200!! S-K is a bit more sane, the socket set I paid $10 for forty yrs ago, now only $60.

S-K tools are excellent. I usta use my small socket set (above) on air wrenches (impact) and never lost a one to breakage.

Also, Sears now "labels" *some* of their Craftsman wrench sets as "Made in USA", but that may be all Chinese made, on US islands of Guam or some other US protectorates that allow "USA" mislabeling.

nb

Reply to
notbob

True dat! ....which is why I hate Fords and will never own another.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I hadda Honda hatchback Si, same gen as a CRX. Loved that car. Bought it with 100K miles on it and sold it with 250K miles on it and its engine was still whisper quiet. BUT!.... it was assembled in USA!

Great cars.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Still parent non-US company, though...which is my primary criterion on that score.

Reply to
dpb

I don't remember ever having a problem with the plugs on the mopars - and the 440 would be identical to the 383 as it shared basic block and head design - and on a Memi the plugs come out the top and center of the heads - so definitely no problem. The 428 Mustang on the other hand - - - . And the V8 Monza.

It was a regulator problem and every Mopar mechanic knew to replace the standard regulator with either the "heavy duty" or the electronic replacement., The original was the Echlin/Napa VR32 style, while the heavy duty was the VR34, or the externally adjustable Heavy Duty VR35

That was only one of the many problems with the Holley - but Chrysler used Carters on more vehicles than Holleys. Most Holleys on Mopars were "hot-rod upgrades" The Carter AVS was standard on both the 383 and 440 in '69 In 1970 Chrysler switched to the Carther Thermoquad. The Carter AFB was used in 1966. SOME holleys were used on single quad 383s and 440s, but at least in Canada they were rare. Most dual quads were Holley 4160s.

Reply to
clare

On 12/31/2014 3:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

All I know is what I experienced...and it wouldn't make it out of the hole w/o moving the block...

Not _EVERY_ one, apparently... :) Altho I did finally swap out an electronic aftermarket one myself--no longer recall which, specifically.

The worst actual problem on that particular one was when it was wet outside, somewhere there was a leak that got in and the left turn signal could create a dead short. I could always recognize it quickly enough to prevent a major damage but wife managed to burn the whole wiring harness out twice. Dealer replaced everything they could get to but never did actually cure the problem...

Perhaps but the single quad Holley is what came straight from the factory on this one...we ordered it specifically but nothing specified on a particular carb model that I recall...primarily I got the stiffer suspension and the manual lift/tilt driver seat for the interstate driving we intended doing when we bought it. First (and one of only two) absolutely new first-delivery vehicle ever bought.

The second was a forced purchase when on a time-critical trip and had an engine failure owing to Quaker State in '84 350 Chevy in an Olds '88. With the then-higher temp and sorry anti-smog control, the stuff clogged the return weeps and cause mains failures at under 50K. Happened just on the way between TN and KS with a deadline. Purchased a new '88 off the lot that happened to also have a "touring" suspension and was a _very_ nice vehicle that had >350K mi on when daughter finally traded it...

Drug the '84 home after got back home from the dealership and rebuilt it and kids used it for quite a long time as well. Never again QS, however...

Reply to
dpb

My Ford "hate" goes back to that we always had Chevy trucks on the farm going up...neighbor had Fords and while they did the job, inevitably every one of them was totally rusted out on bodies...and not just the light trucks but the grain trucks as well.

Had a '55 for a while in HS; it served the purpose of a school car. Managed to snag a '63 Impala 2D HT in '66 while in uni...another that I shoulda' kept as it's a classic collector's item now...

Reply to
dpb

On 12/31/2014 4:01 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Added to the period in which was doing online coal analyzer installation/support throughout the eastern KY/western VA/WVA coal region and driving rentals _a_lot_. Only thing could get thru corporate were the stinkin' Ford Taurus; the most awful handling and uncomfortable thing to drive on local windy mountain roads and absolute torture on the lower back...

Some have since improved since but the hate lingers...

Reply to
dpb

I always thought Fords were tough, I jes didn't like the way their engineer's brain's worked. It's like, if you're a home mechanic, Ford does everything it can to frustrate you. For example:

The transmission rod linkage to my Ford E150 was basically the same as on my Dodge van.... except! Whereas Dodge jes had a bent rod going thru a hole, Ford hadda add a little plastic collar to take up the slack between the hole and the rod, to make it --quieter?-- whatever. In my Dodge, took about two shakes to remove the cotter key and then the rod. The Ford? Howzabout the plastic used for the little collar turns diamond hard after a few yrs and the tool to remove said collar costs $70 from Ford! Hey, I'm a DIY'er. Outta my way!

Silly me. Took me and a hacksaw and an elect drill almost one hour to get that damn piece of plastic out. When I re-assembled, I merely left the plastic collar out. Worked fine.

Also, a Ford Galaxie is the only vehicle I've ever done a spark plug change on and come away from the job with bloody forearms.

That's why I hate Ford.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Try a 3.8 liter TransSport. Or a Grand Caravan. Or a (Ford) Aerostar. There really isn't a car made today that is designed to be easily serviced. From ANY manufacturer. If you are talking Galaxy you are talking ANCIENT history.

Reply to
clare