Does anyone make a consumer grade bench jigsaw?

Does anyone make a consumer grade bench jigsaw?
I've had one for 30 years and gotten some good use out of it, but it's broken now and maybe irreparable.
Yes, I checked google and I couldn't find one.
By bench, I mean it sits on the bench and the jig/saber saw blade sticks up from a hole in a platform, to make sawing easier than with a hand-held tool
The one I have was made by a toy company iirc, 3 speeds, has the jig saw on the left and on the right has a grindstone, which can be removed and replace by a lathe, believe it or not. I've never had the lathe parts, but I miss the jig saw.
By consumer grade I mean sits on a bench, not on the floor with its own table. I don't have the room or the money for that.
Thanks.
micky;3197661 Wrote: >

I've never seen a bench jig saw, but I think the closest thing you're likely to find is a mini band saw.
With the state of litigation being what it is, a machine that has a blade going up and down that can poke you in the butt if you sit on it would be hard to get past the Underwriters Laboratory or the Canada Standards Association. Companies probably take the view that the hassle isn't worth the potential profit.
A mini band saw is a band saw that sits on your bench and has a table you can set your work on while you cut it. Click the Images button on Google and enter "mini band saw" and see if you like what you see.
Can you use a mini band saw from Harbor Freight instead? I'm thinking you can probably get one from a place like Harbour Freight for less than $60.
--
nestork

On 2/13/2014 12:59 PM, micky wrote:

Might look at
<https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/bladerunner_wall_mount.aspx?gclid=CNGIzqX3ybwCFTRo7AodoCEAAg
I believe Skil makes a mounting jig for their regular jigsaw for one of their portable bench systems. The alternative is to do something similar oneself, obviously.
Besides the other suggestion someone made of a mini-bandsaw, look at some of the lesser-expensive scroll saws, perhaps, depending on the kind of work you actually do...

DAGS for scroll saw, not jig saw.
What's your definition of "consumer grade"? What price point is that?
Rockwell has various models from just over $100 to around $200. Check out the BladeRunner series.
Craftsman, Skil, and others also sell scroll saws.
You can also buy/make tables for your hand held jig saw. The saw mounts underneath with the blade sticking up through the table. That seems pretty sketchy to me, but they are out there.
On 2/13/2014 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

While I agree (and also pointed OP that direction) that it might be an option, a scroll saw isn't at all like what he's asking about so that won't find except by happenstance cojuxtaposition.
AFAIK the bladerunner series is about the only thing now other than the benchmount of an ordinary jigsaw. Seems to me that at one time (like almost 50 yr ago) there was one in the big Delta catalog albeit much more rugged than what OP's talking about. They still built a pin router and the old "Uniplane" was in there then, too... :)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:30:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Jigsaw is ambiguous, and I didn't make it clear.

And jig/saber might help but it's hard to read and easy to skip over.
Acc. to wikip on jig saws
"In the past, what are now usually called scroll saws were often referred to as jigsaws. [I guess you knew that.]
A (power) jigsaw may also be referred to, by some manufacturers, as a "bayonet saw" or sabre saw."
I had earlier written: Sometime in the 60's I think a portable sabre saw was also called a jig saw, and I've been confused ever since.
Best for clarity maybe to say scroll saw or sabre saw, as the case may be. .

It wasn't a toy company. Googling some more found it, by Toastmaster, a kichen small appliciance company, still not a tool company.
Here's what I would be replacing.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/toastmaster-jigsaw-mini-lathe-combo-i-got-auction-3692/
The silver table on the left is maybe 6" x 6". The total width is maybe 2.5 feet. I never had the lathe parts but I did have grindstone parts instead, Now I have a two wheel grinder but I use one half for a wire wheel, and it was nice having a smaller finer grinding wheel the Toastmaster.
But a scroll saw might be an okay substitute. I'd have to be more gentle with the blade, right? Or they break?

100 or 200, depending on how I react when I see it.

I will check.

If you mean sketchy like I would mean sketchy, that's exactly t he problem. 25 years ago, I bought a fold-up table that allowed a circular saw to be mounted underneath, and I've used it and it worked. but at times I almost knocked it down and I was looking for sandbags to hold it down, and then I'd have to store the sandbags too.
And I bought a second metal plate for it, which they said would take a router, but I've never used it. Too hard to dig out the table, make room for it in the middle of the room, attach the saw, set it up, when all I want to do most times is cut a couple things.
...snip...

Ah...the infamous Hirsch Saw Table. That was my first "table saw" also.
http://tinyurl.com/HirschSawTable
http://www.saintclassified.com/uploads/hirsch-and-saw-the-table-stop-bar-of-and-sabre-excellent-miter-and-stop-ad-68478.jpg
I had a old circular saw lying around so I mounted it "permanently" instead of swapping my good circ saw in and out. Stability was definitely an issue!
I actually still have the base. I attached a piece of hardboard over the grooved surface and occasionally use as a portable workbench.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:49:00 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Yeah, t hat's the one.

I only had one saw, but age and vandals had done a lot of damage to my fence. If I had repaired the fence right away, the kids (actually only one kid apparently. Another kid knocked on my door and told me who it was and where he lived, and I went to talk to him and his parents. I don't even remember anymore how they replied (maybe it will come to me) I think it was cooperatively, yes, but that didn't mean the kid would do so. But they moved within a month so I never found out about the kid. After the kid left there was no more vandalism, even though there were plenty of other kids.)
Anyhow, the table made it much easier to do a good job on rails and pickets. (The places that almost never get sun rot 5 times as fast as the places that do.)
Now I have two saws, and I bought at an informal estate sale a floor-standing circular saw which I have no room for and is in storage)

I bought a full size table saw that I found in the Saturday classifieds a bunch of years ago. $100, couldn't pass it up. A real pain to transport and muscle into the shop, but my son and I got it done.
My shop is pretty small so I ended up spending another $50 for the parts to make a mobile base. My shop is in a basement room that is actually an extension off of the original house. Many years ago I had removed the window from what used to be the exterior block wall of the original house, boxed it in and added some shelves. It's became a niche in my shop wall. Kind of like this but deeper, about 11".
http://floorelf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/CIMG2309.jpg
When I roll the table saw base against the wall, the extension table slides right into the niche saving 11" of floor space. I don't know if I'm good or just lucky.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 01:17:15 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I think mine was even less, and it tipped into the trunk of my LeBaron to transport. I could put it in and take it out myself. But no way could I have gotten it down the stairs to the basement alone, or even up the one step to the stoop or the 3 more steps to the front door.
What I could do is bring it home and use it outside, if I ever had a project big enough to warrant it, but I probably won't. I probably shouldn't have bought it.

I'm pretty sure you're not tipping this saw into the trunk of a Lebaron, by yourself or with help. This isn't a picture of _my_ saw, but it is a picture of my saw, if you know what I mean.
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poqac/121028/676r1/0427c29_27.jpeg
Luckily my shop is in a walk-out basement, but first we had to roll it down the steep slope to the back yard and then across a mulched area to the door. We had it balanced on a movers dolly and used pieces of scrap plywood to make a platform to roll it on. You know, use 2 pieces and keep moving the back one to the front. It was staying in control down the slope that was the hardest. My son and I handled the saw, my wife was in charge of moving the plywood.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 00:29:04 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Maybe the table part of my table was removeable, or it just wasn't as big as yours, but other than that, my saw is as big as your saw. The trunk is half-full of things and blankets and moving pads, so once the saw was in, it wasnt' in that deeply and it wasn't that hard to get it out.

Good idea.
There are some houses here whose basements open to the outside with a sliding glass door. Their lots and views are almost as nice as mine, but all in all my house is the best i the n'hood. Plus it was the only one for sale at the time. l-)

I have one that sounds like yours that is made by Dremel. I bought it for $5 at a garage sale in Anchorage AK. It was fun getting that home on the plane ;-)
On 02/13/2014 12:59 PM, micky wrote:

Unless the brushes are totally worn out, they may just need to be re-seated.
Also: The commutator may be carboned up...
try cleaning it with fine emery cloth.

Sears used to sell one. Vermont American et al has one for routers, should be easily adaptable to a saber saw. Easy to make your own too...pieceof ply, cut a slot, add legs.
--

dadiOH