Does anyone know what are the best rated vacuums?

Page 2 of 2

I, otoh, can't think of the last time I've looked at CR -- it's just not a resource I think of as useful in general.
Oh, and one other reason -- for the most part, the things I buy most frequently they simply don't rate. I don't buy much at all in the consumer electronics or other high-volume goods and have strong enough opinions on things like cars, etc., that I'm not influenced by others' opinions, anyway.
Farm equipment and the kinds of tools for woodworking and so on I do buy are beyond the level of what they look at.

I think the _best_ information available is looking at the actual in depth product data from the manufacturers. Things like pigment concentration levels, etc., that normal consumers never bother to look for or understand if they do...the problem w/ their ratings when the subject came up on a usenet thread some time ago and I looked at them in some detail was that the same paint from the same manufacturer in subsequent reports could get a widely different rating. Hence, the same problem as others have noted on other products -- either the ratings are inconsistent and/or flawed or the products themselves aren't consistent enough to make the generalization of much value unless you can find the specific paint tested and ensure it is actually the same formulation as that tested -- which may not be possible to determine. Then, one has the problem of transferring the conditions of the test to the conditions under which one is going to be using it -- they test may or may not be valid or have any direct bearing. It's the same old thing of "statistically significant" -- if the conditions aren't the same, extrapolating the results is risky.
The best one can say is that under those conditions, with their preparation and application, the results they reported are such and such. Whether that is useful is, imo, hard to say definitively.

Wrong frame of reference. I'm wondering if _CR_ is sponsoring the playing of these infomercials on the "news" casts or if it is simply a sign of laziness and/or cost-cutting on the local stations' part to use cheap pre-canned programming rather than having to actually do something on their own.
My problem with CR is that they usually test the "yuppy" priced products.
They may rate Mercedes as the best station wagon, but that hardly affects the greater population.
Too many of their tests are between products out of my price range.
wrote:

<rj>

I think there's no doubt that's their prime audience... ...

Or, if not price, products of no interest...
Or, what happend to "rugged individualism"? :)
We have two meile vacuum cleaners and even though they are pricy, I wouldn't consider another brand

TH wrote:

Eureka has gotten good reviews. BUT it depends on the model, which is true for all brands.
Lou
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I have a whole house vacuum installed in my home, but there are times when I need the portable. I was walking though Wal-Mart one day, not looking for a vacuum cleaner, but something down one aisle caught my eye. It was a Candy Apple Red Bissell convertible (upright w/cannister). It had a hepa filter, but it was the color that got me. I am a sucker for Candy Apple Red. Cost $179. It works well, but is used only occasionally, so I don't need the best. That reminds me, it needs another coat of car wax. :-).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY