Does anyone know how to remove plumbing seat from tub faucet?

I have successfully replaced these seats before in the hot and cold tub faucets. Now, I can not remove the seat from the cold as it won't budge. Someone said I could try to put new grooves in it with a seat dresser. Will this work and where do I find one? Is there any other way to remove it? What does a plumber do when this happens. A plumber wants to tear down the wall and replace everything, but I know someone must have the answer.

Reply to
needto know

Hello, Take your seat wrench and put it into the grooves in the seat, and make sure that you are not bottoming out on the backside of the faucet with end of wrench. As long as you are not going to bottom out on back side of faucet internally, hit the seat wrench with a hammer lightly enough to force the seat wrench into the seat. The seat is brass and is soft to where the seat wrench points will bottom out into the seat walls, and then counter clockwise slowly turn seat wrench with force kept on wrench and remove seat from faucet. You may need to use a wrench to turn seat wrench, and if needed tap wrench with hammer when applying inward pressure on seat toward counter clockwise direction to jar seat loose. It will come out, you just have to get mean with them at times. Good Luck and Happy Plumbing.

Steve

Master Plumber

Reply to
stevarino51

be prepared to replace the faucet completely stuff does wear out and freeze eventually so you cant take it apart.

seat dressers are fine stone devices you put in place and turn attached handle. under 10 bucks they often work well.

I used to messs with my old 40 year old faucet then one day just tired of it and had plumber replace it, given its hard to reach location it was worth the bucks.

fixing stuff is wonderful but sometimes its better to replace and start over.

Reply to
hallerb

I have not done this, but I've heard that the colds can be differcult. This is because the hot side is exposed to rapid temperature changes, and the seat and body don't get as much chance to seize up. Knowing this, the advice I was given, was to pour hot water into the body, exposing as much metal to heat it up. The metal will expand faster than the seat helping to free up the seat.

Now this is what I heard. I guess you can figure fire isn't an option because of the melting issues, so you can't go crazy. Just passing on what I heard.

imho,

tom @

Tom The Great