Does anyone care to recommend a steel entry door?

A neighbor in the DC-Balmore area would like to replace his entry doors with steel doors for added security. Does anybody there care to recommend a local outlet or a band to search for?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Someone I know, in Baltimore, got a steel security door, for the front door. When someone broke in the front door, he was quite upset that all that he got from the door company was a new door. It was one of those companies that advertise on tv, or did at the time.

That doesn't mean the steel doors aren't harder to break into. The person was upset so I didn't ask for details of how he got in. They're probably harder to get in than my wooden door with wooden door frame was. 25 years ago, someone just kicked his way in. I replaced the deadbolt with a longer one, got brass U-covers that go around the front and back of the door beneath the dead bolt and the other one, and used longer screws on the jamb plate, and put in a chunk of wood where empty space had been, but mostly I got a burglar alarm.

Mostly burglars come and go, and this one never came back. He didn't take anything that time either. I think the neighbor's dog scared him away.

Reply to
mm

On Jun 9, 6:26=EF=BF=BDpm, Fred the Red Shirt wrot= e:

a LONG shackle bolt that goes thru the framing helps a lot.........

But if someone wants IN they will..........

and everyone has glass windows, easy to break. easy to enter

probably better to get a security system....

I have replaced a couple doors with steel ones, the wood ones leaked air and were beat from being 60 years old.

another one gets replaced this year in our kitchen.

the home depot lowes ones appear fine, are low cost look good and welll weatherstripped:)

Reply to
hallerb

Doors and locks keep honest people out.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

There are steel doors and steel doors.

The cheapest is an ordinary door that's clad with thin steel instead of wood veneer. Next up is a steel door that's clad with REALLY thick steel (and may have a concrete filler). These are often used as fire doors.

Then there are security doors - and there are two kinds of these.

The first is a door designed to prevent unauthorized entry. A step-down from a bank vault, but extremely durable and sturdy. Think multiple locking bars on all four sides, defeat-resitant locks, tool-proof construction, etc.

The second is an additional door, like a screen door, but made of steel bars. A "burglar-bar" door, if you will.

I'd check with local cops, alarm companies, and businesses for providers in your area.

Interestingly, the Texas prison system makes security doors (and lots of other stuff). Visit

and search for "door." (The TDC also grows/raises virtually all of its own food - except for odd stuff like pepper or tea).

Sorry, none of the products are available for sale to the general public.

Reply to
HeyBub

A door is no stronger than the jamb, the lock or the screws that hold the hinges in place.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

ote:

Only if they are targeting you specifically. Otherwise, they will break in somewhere easier.

It's like when I was photographing a black bear along Skyline Drive. I wasn;t too worried even as the bear approached us as black bears are usually timid. But if it did attack I knew that although I couldn't outrun it, I could outrun the pregnant lady standing next to me so I wasn't worried.

My security system is an Airedale mix. But when someone knocks on the door she charges it like she's going to tear their ass off.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

In a neighborhood not far from here a number of people had their doors kicked in. One lady had a steel door. Pictures were knocked off her walls, but the door held. Sometimes the bad guys are lazy. More often than not, I daresay.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt