Does air compressor make good tire inflator?

Many of our local convenience stores have the quarter machines available (usually 50 cents to a dollar), but all service stations around me still offer free air. The WalMart a mile from me has a tire/service center that I usually fill my tank at. I guess it's still true --- location location location.

Reply to
83LowRider

Don't know what your situation is, shop-wise, but a "real" compressor, even those pancake type compressors for nailguns, etc, is quite a step up from a tire inflator.

If you do feel like going the "real" compressor route, Sears makes esp. shitty compressors, while HD's Husky line is really perty good, and a really good deal if you can get a floor sample.

Having said that, here's an alternative for you: Get a 5 or 10 gal air tank from HF, which comes with a gauge, a short tire filler hose/chuck, and then use your tire inflator to fill that tank at your leisure, and then use the portable air tank for your tires -- and it's quick, just like using a real compressor! I use this myself, to fill a tire I can't get to my shop, or to help out a friend, etc.

These tanks wouldn't be terribly convenient for fully flat tires, but for low tires or to top off, etc, they're pretty neat. And they WILL fill a fully flat tire enough to get it going, mebbe even up to rated psi, depending on the size and to what pressure you fill the tank.

Reply to
Existential Angst

OR, you could make your own tank from a discarded propane tank and some suitable plumbing. (Not to worry, a propane tank will contain pressures far in excess of what a compressor can deliver, plus, the propane tank has a built-in pressure relief valve.)

Instead of dragging my compressor into the house to re-nail some baseboards, my retasked tank is good for 100 or more brads.

Reply to
HeyBub

"83LowRider" wrote in news:j1s261$fb3$1@dont- email.me:

PepBoys and Harbor Freight sell nice little 12V compressors that plug into your cig lighter or clip onto the battery posts. NOT the yellow plastic $7 POS,but the metal ones,they go for around $20,PepBoys had their MasterFlow MF-1040 on sale for $14 after rebate,I have one,and it's good.150PSI. It does tires fine.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Gee, that's funny, my neighbor does his sprnklers with that very same model every year. It's slower, takes more patience, and works well. Same for water pipes & end-season blow-outs. While vol = time, it's the PRESSURE available that determiines whether it will work or not. Your picky comments are the reason I mentioned the larger tanks - I suggest you need some help with reading comprehension. 16 bicycles, 6 of them new in the group, not a single one is rated at over 90 psi with most beiing 60 and a few larger tires at 45. Cars are typically in the 30-45 range and 60 for the phoney spares. If I wanted to write a book to shut up pickies like you I could have, but I stand by the advice that was gven.

Reply to
Twayne

Why keep trolling the same boring tripe?

Reply to
Twayne

Well, let's see... I've lurked around here for a long time. I made my first post ever here, in this thread telling the OP he may want to consider a holding tank. Seems on topic so we'll discount my first ever post.

My second ever post is a reply to RedGreen, when you throw this turd in the pool. Since we're discounting my first post (as it was on topic) it seems at the time of your reply, that your boring tripe reply to me is equal to my boring tripe reply to RG.

And good luck with your valiant efforts to clean up USENET... God knows it's long overdue.

Reply to
83LowRider

Everything you need to know about air fittings is at:

DL their PDF catalog and you will have a good overview of the best air fitting products on the market. The company is pretty much the standard in many repair and industrial fields, and noted for the reliability of their USA made products.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A rhetorical question.. kinda like the meaning of 'prolly' or 'ofeeeeended'.

Reply to
83LowRider

What type adapter do you need?

Proly a li'l tricky for a newbie, no? You need a plumbing equiv. to a valve stem, hose+tire filler ditty, and ideally a gauge, + a variety of fittings.. The HF thingy is $25 complete. I'll bet, depending depending, the hardware for the propane conversion would be a good part of $25, plus the futzing around. Mebbe even more!

So, not rocket science for a shopster, but mebbe a bit of a project for others.

Also, the HF ditty holds the air really good. Rock solid for over a month now. Plus, it's a nice brite yellow.... :)

Reply to
Existential Angst