Does a Sump Pump Have to be Vented?

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I have a sump pump in one corner with a discharge pipe (going to the storm drain). There is also a vent pipe which is simply a run of open PVC going from the sump pit to the outside. If I put my hand over the vent pipe, there is positive pressure (i.e., cold air is coming in from outside).

The sump pump pit will actually be on the inside of a finished room with a removable platform over the top (serving as an end table). [Note: This has already passed inspection].

I noticed today, that the vent pipe is very wet as the humid air condenses on the pipe. This is a problem as this pipe is about to be closed up behind drywall.

Is a vent pipe typically required for a sump pump? If so, what is the best way to control the condensation problem?

I know I need to check my local building codes, but I am interested in any preliminary comments or recommendations.

Thanks

Reply to
BAN

Normally, they are not vented and the cover is made to fit tightly. Treating the water in the sump once in a while with bleach will cut down on offensive odors and help control insects that like to breed in there.

For some opinions on this issue:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It's possible that the vent tube was installed due to the presense of radon gas from under the foundation. The sump represents a breach in the slab. I think you need to either find out who put the vent there, and ask them, or else have a radon test done. It's not something to "guess" about.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

That sounds like a vent for radon gas. If you are in an area of high radon, that vent may be required by local code.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The house was just built in the last few years, so I believe it is just the builder's typical practice to add a vent. I will check with the builder and as well as the county code.

I don't see that the vent is doing anything anyway. As mention, cold air is coming IN, so there is not any venting going on.

Reply to
BAN

replying to BAN, Tom Armstrong wrote: insulate the piping.. that will stop and humid air in your basement touching the cold pvc of the vent, which causes it to condensate. Venting is requried by code in Ontario, Canada on a sewage sump pump only. Storm/ground water does not need to be vented; however, if your pit is air tight its probably a good idea.

Reply to
Tom Armstrong