does a reliable power vent hot water heater exist?

So then I don't see what the real relevance is to them not fixing a water heater that you would install yourself. And I sure wouldn't be paying for a company to come look at my water heater twice a year. From the prices I've seen so far, it sure doesn't look like you're getting any special discount. You can't get a new direct vent replacement for a similar one that is already there installed for $2000 - $2800 by many companies?

Reply to
trader_4

They come twice a year to look at the furnace and a/c. Not the hot water heater. Though they may also look at it while here.

The new Bradford White RG2PV50 is costing me $1895 installed. Plus sales tax. And I presume I won't be charged for yesterday's and this morning's service call. This morning he drained the water out of the fan. It is now working again. But the bearings are shot in the motor and it is making quite a bit of noise. But I do now have hot water until the new one arrives this afternoon.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

If you have to install a new one, get a maintenance contract - $X per year - they pay for all repairs or replacements required for as long as you keep paying. Or rent the thing if you are more worried about how long it will last than how much it will cost.

I know of quite a few that have lasted well over 5 years and since I am capable of doing any required repairs, I wouldn't waste my money on either of the aforementioned options. Thankfully my house doesn't need a power vent and I replace my water heater every 18 years or so when I notice signs of seepage.

Reply to
clare

... " well over __ ? __ years " ? Clare ? typo ?

My big old one was ~ 23 years old and probably easily repairable - for another 5 or 10 years - I think it needed a new vent motor contactor ? not sure.

- but because it was an old rental - it got replaced .. Unfortunately I can't recall the make / model but it had maybe : : ~ one service call : almost zero routine maintenance : 1 safety upgrade < vent pipe connection - not really part of the unit > I think I re-started it once or twice in 20 years.

Moral of the story :

Someone needs to tell our children and grandchildren - that - - major household appliances _can and should be_ made to last 20 - 30 years ! Screw all the electronic computerized bells & whistles crap ! where it is not needed.

John T.

hubops

Wow, 5+ years life on a water heater. How impressive!

Reply to
trader_4

It is already installed. It includes the 10-year warranty upgrade kit. Bradford White makes them to last 10 years, but the default is only a 6 year warranty. You pay a little extra and you get a 10-year sticker and a

10-year warranty.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Dirty Harry said it best:

Bill

Yup. 15

We have pretty agressive water so the tanks on mine generally start to perforate at about 18 years - Both were still working well when the floor started getting damp under the heater. Current heater is now 54 months old (actually will be on Friday)

If the OP is getting water in the blower something is not set up properly - for sure. He's likely got a backslope on the vent, and the vent is likely too long, so he's getting condensation in the pipe, and it's running back to the heater instead of running out the vent.

Doesn't matter how good a product is _ if it is not properly installed it WILL fail early.

Reply to
clare

Check your venting - make sure you have drop to the outside, not back to the heater, or the warranty may be no good. They don't guarantee against faulty installation.

Reply to
clare

More idiocy. Look at the install for a direct vent water heater. The vents typically go *uphill*. Otherwise in a basement, where most of them get installed, where would you vent it? Into the ground?

Reply to
trader_4

The water may have had something to do with the motor failing and the pressure switch going bad.

As pointed out in another followup, you have to go uphill in most installations. This is what what they do to keep the condensate from going back into the fan:

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Then you need to keep the hose clear and the bucket empty. Much easier to just run the exhaust as high as possible at the heater and slpe, even 1/2 inch in 20 feet, to the outside. Any condensation coming back into the fan WILL damage both the fan and the pressure switch - guaranteed. And if there is signs of water in the fan or switch, when it comes to warranty you are SOL. Don't blame the water heater or the power vent technology for the stupidity of the installer. If anything the installer should be on the hook for the repairs

Reply to
clare