Does a refrigerant leak smell?

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all day at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in the coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we aren't thinking would give of a smell?
TIA, Mark

R-22 does have a medicinal solvent type odor, but it is not very strong, so if you have enough of a leak that you're smelling that, your unit ought not to be performing at all. Certainly not after a few more days.
On 29 May 2006 17:22:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dead mouse or rat in the house??????????
I don't think R-22 has any smell. Might, but never been aware of it (working with R-22 for the last dozen years). The compressor oil in an AC system has a slight odor. Yes, it could be a system leak. You'll know in a day or two when the AC stops cooling.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Dildo say dat.