Does a refrigerant leak smell?

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all day at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in the coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we aren't thinking would give of a smell?

TIA, Mark

Reply to
markescarbrough

R-22 does have a medicinal solvent type odor, but it is not very strong, so if you have enough of a leak that you're smelling that, your unit ought not to be performing at all. Certainly not after a few more days.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Dead mouse or rat in the house??????????

Reply to
nugent

I don't think R-22 has any smell. Might, but never been aware of it (working with R-22 for the last dozen years). The compressor oil in an AC system has a slight odor. Yes, it could be a system leak. You'll know in a day or two when the AC stops cooling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Granny fart?

Dildo say dat.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote: Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

Reply to
Reina Richter

A. You left your car running in the driveway and you're smelling car exhaust. 10% B. Your tech cleaned the air handler coils and left some cleaner on it, which will shortly blow off. 2%. C. You have a plugged condensate drain causing wet coils and mold growth. 88% chance. When the drain pan fills it should trigger the safety switch.

Reply to
TimR

D - They are another clueless HomeMoanersHub poster. One line, no background info that any logical person would supply so that they could get some reasonable answers.

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds like maybe your central needs a new catalytic converter.

Reply to
Maurice Minifield

Central of New York or Central of New Jersey?

Reply to
catalpa

South Central LA.

Reply to