Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down to drown?

The flip side of that is the air is coming up very fast and tends to lift anything around it. Have you ever seen a pneumatic dredge pipe work? Your sailor is also supposed to be wearing a type 1 PFD that adds a lot of buoyancy.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are assuming that they have time to swim away from a rapidly sinking vessel, that they are not injured, that they are not helping a ship mate or a loved one, etc.

I'm not saying that they will get sucked down or that they won't, merely responding to your statement that they "always swim away from the ship as much as they can". That doesn't address the question as to whether they would get sucked down or not, it avoids the question all together.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This is a ship: ship

This is a capital ship: SHIP

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Per M. Stradbury:

Then I guess my little anecdote is moot because a destroyer looks much smaller than an aircraft carrier or battle ship...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bob F:

Long, long ago and far, far away part of my misspent youth involved surfing fairly large waves.

My experience was that the best thing to do while you're in the white stuff underwater is to relax as completely as possible to conserve air and swim for the surface only after the white stuff has passed - because there just is not enough buoyancy or purchase in the white stuff.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

If I may ask, what did you do in the USCG?

I was a LORAN-C technician. One year at LORSTA Sylt, Germany and one year at LORSTA Port Clarence, AK. The remainder of my 4-year enlistment was spent as a LORAN instructor at the USCG Training Center on Governors Island, NY.

My total sea time consisted of a few thousand 7 minute ferry crossings between Governors Island and Manhattan. Countless times I missed the last (3 AM) ferry to the island and had to sleep in my car until the 6 AM crossing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ever heard of WWI and WWII?

Lots of ships sunk and lots of detailed records.

Reply to
jimp

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

What about UPS or FedEx, they Ship!

Reply to
Tekkie®

What I had meant, in the OP, was "big ship" (not a life raft or tugboat, for example, which is what the MythBusters seem to have tested).

To "me", a destroyer qualifies as a 'big ship' (when it's sinking out from under you); but I was wrong in the definition since the Wikipedia article said a Capital ship is an "important" ship (so to speak).

What I meant though was a "big" ship (big enough to suck you so far down, if it's gonna suck you, that you'd drown before coming back up).

I think the most reliable things that came out of this quest so far were:

a) Mythbusters said busted - but they tested what amounts to a very "tiny" ship. b) People swim away for *lots* of reasons (all good) not the least of which are explosions, fire, oil slicks, rigging, falling objects, etc.

So, the mere fact they're taught to swim away doesn't really tell us whether or not they're sucked under at the time of sinking.

I don't actually know if we have a definitive answer that most of us would agree fits the typical definition of 'scientific' evidence yet, either way.

But the capital-air-bubbles-aren't-buoyant theory does sound plausible (it seems to me it would be easy to test with ants and toy ships or something).

I'll keep reading and looking and observing ... until we find out the answer.

Reply to
M. Stradbury

Dne 22/12/2015 v 22:50 M. Stradbury napsal(a):

Be aware of surface tension.

Reply to
Poutnik

Related to the familiar word "sputnik"?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

If you can simulate ocean, not just a bath tub with water in it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

sputnik had original meaning traveling companion, so yes.

sputnik (n.) Look up sputnik at Dictionary.com "artificial satellite," extended from the name of the one launched by the Soviet Union Oct. 4, 1957, from Russian sputnik "satellite," literally "traveling companion" (in this use short for sputnik zemlyi, "traveling companion of the Earth") from Old Church Slavonic supotiniku, from Russian so-, s- "with, together" + put' "path, way," from Old Church Slavonic poti, from PIE *pent- "to tread, go" (see find (v.)) + agent suffix -nik.

Reply to
Poutnik

Dne 23/12/2015 v 00:25 Tony Hwang napsal(a):

That is not needed but it is very difficult to maintain similarity.

Reply to
Poutnik

Not surprising. Normally, quality home builders will put in a CW toilet and a CCW toilet because if they were both the same direction and both got flushed at once, it can damage the connection where the house sits on the foundation. If you buy a home already built, you should make sure your toilets are opposite each other, or you should be careful not to flush both at once.

Reply to
Micky

I have never heard anything like that in all my years (50 of them) of construction, nor have I heard it from the plumbers to whom I have talked. If flushing a toilet can damage "connections" we better start building things a lot better.

Reply to
dvus

It rather looks like you became a joke victim. Due random turbulent effects, the result of the toilet splash is random as well.

What may be the issue is the design of plumbing wrt the capacity.

If all guests of multi floor hotel got diarrhea after eating "salmonellized" dinner...

Reply to
Poutnik

How about "KAPUTNIK"? Which I first heard in the Coen Brothers' " Miller's Crossing" - do you know its meaning?

Reply to
Robert Green

Dne 23/12/2015 v 19:31 Robert Green napsal(a):

I do not think it has Slavic origin. It is probably related to kaput .

Poutnik

An extra-large capital ship: SSHHIIPP

An extra-large capital ship that sprung a leak: SSHHIIPPpppppppppppppppp

Reply to
hah