Do zero-clearance fireplaces really require no ad'dl clearance?

I plan to install a zero clearance woodburing box into my living room. I'd like to make a wood surround and mantle as well. Is the unit really "zero clearance", that is, can I put combustables right up to the metal side edges of the unit? Does anyone know what, if any, additional clearance is needed for an overhanging mantle (perhaps a 4-5 inch thick beam)?The box is a Heatilator unit.

Reply to
JimC622911

Heatilator customer service will have the answer to all your questions. Try their web site for a FAQ list, too. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

All the info you need is right in the installation/owners manual. Clearances to combustibles, mantle overhang, etc.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

And in case it's not obvious, most manufacturers will send you a manual before you buy so that you can check out what's required for a particular stove.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob