Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Page 5 of 7
Doug Miller wrote:

Getting slung off the bar doesn't cause the saw to use more oil. Just means that the bar gets hotter, unless you dial up the oil flow. 'Course all you need to do is add a little Motor Honey or STP additive.

That isn't true either, standard brands of motor oil are more expensive unless you find a really good sale.

i.e. it isn't getting adequate lubrication...

And obviously if you dial up the oil flow, you use more oil.

Or just use bar & chain oil to start with....

In that case, what possible point is there in using motor oil? More expensive, and you need more of it, equals "bad idea" from where I stand.
Then there's your suggestion of adding STP... making a more-expensive alternative even *more* expensive. I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want to do that...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Absolutely.
bar oil. But if you have oil that otherwise you wouldn't use (bad brand, high viscosity, low quality/service rating; somebody gives you oil; or you buy oil on sale for less than 50 cents a quart, then use it instead of buying bar oil. BTW, adding STP/Motor Honey will add less than 50 cents to a gallon of oil. And then, maybe somebody will give you the Motor Honey.

Scrotum or bladder cancer. No thanks ! Whatever you use as an oil, you're also breathing it as an aerosol. I won't use engine oil and I certainly won't use used engine oil.
There's also the issue of staining valuable timber with it.
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Well, they <are> cutting trees, aren't they, the scum... :)
I really doubt the base of bar oil is any different than that for engine oil...just viscosity and (perhaps) some specific additives, but I'd not expect much there as the lubrication requirements are not onerous in terms of temperature, pressure, tolerances, etc.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Yeah the dirty scum, of course a lot of the smaller trees (15-16 inch diameter) are just snipped off (no chainsaws) and the branches just knocked off by pulling the log through a "debrancher." Of course, if you look around a logging site you will find diesel fuel spills, hydraulic oil spills, gasoline spills, etc.

Actually they use sperm oil; no wonder the whales are disappearing. Guess they will have to switch to bovine oil or lard. Just think of cutting the trees to the smell of frying bacon.
FWIW. I'm not an expert on chain saws, although I do own a Stihl. When I was racing dirt bikes offroad, I always used what the bike shop recommended on the chain. This stuff was stickier than dog shit but it didnt fly off the chain and IT DIDNT PICK UP CRAP like motor oil.
wrote in message writes:

what in the world makes you think oil is not biodegradable?

Asphalt releases more oil into the environment than chain saws ever will.

Never mind the hundred-plus years worth of oil-leaking jalopies that have been driven on those asphalt roads...
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the

The county road crews around here routinely spray water based asphalt emulsion onto the roads and then top coat with rock chips...
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1992/bacteria-0401.html
--
SVL

in message

Interesting. Now I'm thinking of a new version of "Beano" . .. .

IIRC, "Beano" is an enzyme.......
FWIW, home distillers ( moonshiners ) are reporting it being as effective as malt in converting ( hydrolizing ) complex starches into simple sugars.
Potatoes or corn, some yeast and "Beano", and you got yourself some mash....thinking this also works at a lower temperature than the amalyse ( sp ) too.
== Back to the oil--always seems to dissappear within a year or so from my gravel drive, and I find it hard to believe its all being washed away by the rain...
In fact, many municipalitys are now requiring a "grassy swale area" in order that any oily runoff from parking lots, subdivisions, and other such largely paved-over areas be allowed time in order to bio-process before the water leaches back into the soil in recharging the local aquifer.
--
SVL

Well, no. Mostly that's to allow the runoff from storms to get into the ground rather than the sewers. You get fined for excessive flow of untreated sewage from your plant, and a storm overloads the system fast.
Not sure how it passed, but "environmentals" being the noisy folks they are, there was an ordinance up in the city that newly-constructed lots had to have "plantings" and grassy areas rather than just flat asphalt.
Now consider an average snowfall of ~200" and cars dripping with great salt stalactites. Not a lot grows around the lot, and it's tougher'n hell to get a plowing pattern to clear snow around the aesthetically pleasing curbs....

These all flow into a simple french drain...
If it weren't for the presence of contaminants then what need for the gently sloped grassy swale???
Might as well just line a trough with concrete....
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote: ....

as the 20s until toughly the 70s or 80s is now covered in grass and is indistinguishable from that area surrounding it...when I was a kid it looked like almost like a paved road. It's broken down pretty well. Not a smart thing to have done, certainly, and I suspect a soil sample would show some residual, but certainly doesn't appear permanent....
Duane Bozarth wrote:

As I understand it, the problem is not so much what it does to the soil that it leaches through as what it does to the water table when it gets down there.
--
Proud member of the reality-based community.

Elmo wrote:

Certainly where there is either a pathway or the underground aquifers are surface-replenished, that's an issue. Here the aquifer is not surface-renewed at any significant rate at all, and while there are areas where surface contamination can penetrate (abandoned unplugged oil/gas wells being the prime culprit), there aren't any of those in this particular location.
Not justifying what was (although common in the time) a poor choice, simply noting it does appear that a great deal of recovery has occurred in a relatively short time since the action ceased....
Duane Bozarth wrote:

It may not reach _your_ aquifer but it's gotta go someplace. (Unless you're in a Death Valley type hole.)

I know. It's really amazing how quickly biological systems can recover when they are not overwhelmed by too much for too long.
--
Proud member of the reality-based community.

Elmo wrote: ...

<quite> a desert, but dry in comparison to most. It's a very sandy soilbut there's a caliche layer at about 2-3' under the surface that is nearly impermeable. I'm sure some detailed soil sampling could find some remnants near that layer...