Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Snort!
You mousse that thing, too?

No, but I did hack up an elk once. Yuck.|
Tom Miller wrote:

Wood chipper works well for elk sausage. ;-)

Elkburgers! The worst piece of meat I've ever eaten.
Al Reid wrote:

Hi, Get rid of? Wonder where does it end up? You're polluting! Tony

I've seen all sort of crappy oil used, even used motor oil. It works. OTOH, I'm still on my first gallon of bar oil that I paid about $5.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Walmart sells Poulan branded bar oil for less than $3 per gallon. Still on your first gallon? Don't use than saw much huh? If you burn wood and get your own, that gallon of oil will be gone fairly quickly (or the blade will be gone).

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

So should I be using canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil, or is there something better?
--
Proud member of the reality-based community.

says...

Husqvarna were selling a bar oil based on vegetable oil. I have recently heard that the performance was/is considered unsatisfactory but this is very second hand info, just some guy whose brother does logging in Bavaria. Guess it probably would be more environmentally friendly, somewhat.
-P.

Stihl, for one, does have a vegetable based oil

There is a resin based bar lube that is bio safe but it will turn to a solid if you left it sit too long.
Good luck with finding the biolube. None of the local dealers stock it. None want to bother ordering it.
Same around thing here.......
...BUT...
The restaurant downtown serves up some mighty fine Spotted Owl Soup !!!
--
SVL

Modat22 wrote:

Oh that sounds like a good alternative!
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Yep, the best is peanut oil, second best is cotton seed oil, last is corn oil. ;)
writes:

Yeah, producing all those crops is definately GOOD for the environment !!!
--
SVL

I use stihl bar lube and stp mixed 10 to 1, it might sound silly but my chain seems to stay sharp longer with less stretch. I cut alot of locust trees for posts and firewood each season.

I use Poulan bar oil from Walmart. Its 30 weight with a tackifier (sp?) in it so it sticks to the chain better than motor oil. Since it doesn't have any of the additives needed to keep an engine clean, its cheaper than motor oil too.

Bar & chain oil is a *lot* thicker and stickier than motor oil. This helps it stay on the chain. Motor oil will work, but it gets slung off the chain pretty quickly, so you have to replenish the oil reservoir more often. And it makes a hell of a mess.
Bottom line: motor oil is cheaper, but you use more of it. I'm guessing it's about even, price-wise.
--
Regards,