Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Hey AlphaTurd! If you don't like what he said, then just ignore him. Why can't you play nice? (Sad thing is, there was nothing wrong with your post about the oil.)

Reply to
toller

Yep, the best is peanut oil, second best is cotton seed oil, last is corn oil. ;)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Getting slung off the bar doesn't cause the saw to use more oil. Just means that the bar gets hotter, unless you dial up the oil flow. 'Course all you need to do is add a little Motor Honey or STP additive.

That isn't true either, standard brands of motor oil are more expensive unless you find a really good sale.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yeah the dirty scum, of course a lot of the smaller trees (15-16 inch diameter) are just snipped off (no chainsaws) and the branches just knocked off by pulling the log through a "debrancher." Of course, if you look around a logging site you will find diesel fuel spills, hydraulic oil spills, gasoline spills, etc.

Actually they use sperm oil; no wonder the whales are disappearing. Guess they will have to switch to bovine oil or lard. Just think of cutting the trees to the smell of frying bacon.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Doug, it just goes on the bar, it doesn't go through the motor. One touch into the dirt with the bar and you are far worse off than anything dirty motor oil would do to the bar.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Oh that sounds like a good alternative!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's what the hospital supervisor said about putting instruments in hydraulic fluid wasn't it?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I know several wood cutters who use the used motor oil to lube the bar and chain. They cut a helluva lot of wood year around and I've never heard them complain about the oil hurting the saw or it's chain.

Reply to
G Henslee

Not to worry. The government had identified the air in pine forests as exceeding the allowable aromatics, so the little suckers will die of cancer from the pine smell anyway.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The county road crews around here routinely spray water based asphalt emulsion onto the roads and then top coat with rock chips...

PrecisionMachinisT

biodegradable?

chain saws ever

based asphalt

chips...

Interesting. Now I'm thinking of a new version of "Beano" . .. .

Reply to
Norma Desmond

In article , "toller" wrote wrote nothing worth reading, as usual...

Hey, Wade, when are you going to outgrow the junior-high-school name-calling?

Reply to
Doug Miller

i.e. it isn't getting adequate lubrication...

And obviously if you dial up the oil flow, you use more oil.

Or just use bar & chain oil to start with....

In that case, what possible point is there in using motor oil? More expensive, and you need more of it, equals "bad idea" from where I stand.

Then there's your suggestion of adding STP... making a more-expensive alternative even *more* expensive. I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want to do that...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, George, I know it just goes on the bar. Are you really having such a hard time understanding that used, dirty oil doesn't lubricate as well as new, clean oil?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi, Get rid of? Wonder where does it end up? You're polluting! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm wondering which part of "The first time the tip touches dirt even for an instant, you've just put more crap on the bar than any amount of used motor oil possibly could" you can't comprehend.

Face it, Doug, waste oil is perfectly fine as bar oil, despite your bleating to the contrary.

(And the greenies who might want to cry about it are perfectly welcome to go suck rocks.)

Reply to
Don Bruder

dean affirmed:

| Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 | engine oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was | just wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Dean...

Judging from the length of this thread and the amount of new information conveyed, it must be the solstice, a full moon, or too hot to work in the shop.

OMG - it's all three at once!

Happy woodcutting with the oil of your choice :-).

Morris Dovey

What a bastard. A great yarn. John

Reply to
John B

Absolutely.

Simple. You don't buy motor oil in preference to bar oil. But if you have oil that otherwise you wouldn't use (bad brand, high viscosity, low quality/service rating; somebody gives you oil; or you buy oil on sale for less than 50 cents a quart, then use it instead of buying bar oil. BTW, adding STP/Motor Honey will add less than 50 cents to a gallon of oil. And then, maybe somebody will give you the Motor Honey.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I don't advocate using used oil. But new oil is dirty as soon as you drive 1 mile after an oil change. If you are changing your engine oil every 3 months/ 3000 miles in a good engine, there is lots of lubrication left. Some car manufactures seem to think there is at least another 2 months/2000 miles of use, and some seem to think there is another 4 months/4000 miles of use left.

If it feels oily, it will lube the bar just fine. We're not talking fine tolerances. Any opposing argument is justs specious.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon