Do you "seal" the viscreen before pouring the concrete slab?

I had opened up five big holes in my concrete slab in various locations to do drain relocation or repairs. Now I am ready to fill it back up. I got all the rebars and ties ready. I have already pack the sand back into the holes up to the bottom of the old slab, soaked the sand thoroughly with Termidor for termite treatment.

I have also cut a thick viscreen to roughly match the hole size and laid it down. I am running into two issues.

(1) There are a few places where the copper pipes are coming up to the manifold, and in that area it's too busy for a viscreen. What should I do there?

(2) Along the seam where the new viscreen ends and the old viscreen was torn apart, is there a way to "seal" that off? I asked around and one suggestion was to use roofing tar...I am not sure of that, another suggestion would be to spray those expansion foam sealer (like "GREAT STUFF") around the old concrete edge and new viscreen, as well as all around the copper pipes, then pour the concrete slab. Would that work? Seems like an interesting idea but if that stuff expands it would be like concrete sitting on sponge and when the sponge goes brittle and break off then there is no support, it may collapse on the pipe?

Any thoughts on the roofing tar or foam idea or any other?

The concrete slab is 4" think and will have rebars tieing the old and new concrete together.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

WTF is 'viscreen'????

S. Barker

visQueen aka Vapor barrier.. Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the overlap.

Make sure you cover it ALL, including where the pipes are..do what you can with the sheet plastic, then use the tape

Reply to
Rudy

Thanks. I will try this. Is Tuck Tape a better duct tape?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Yes, use red Tuck Tape to tape the overlap.

Its what the 'pros' use so I go with it too BTW, Duct (duck) tape isn't really for taping ducts..use aluminum foil tape for that application.

Reply to
Rudy

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 06:56:43p, Rudy told us...

Duct tape was the standard used for taping ducts before the introduction of aluminum or SS foil tape. While the latter may actually be better, the former can still be usued for the purpose.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright