Do you like buying garbage?

Get yourself a floor lamp from Good Earth Lighting.

I slid one of their floor lamps out of a corner over the weekend to vacuum around it, and the weight inside the base crumbled like a giant cookie. Nice. The company says "We've heard of this before", but they won't cover it even though it's just a month or two out of warranty.

First one I bought went bad within a month. The company shipped me a replacement and told me to toss the old one in the trash. That should provide some idea of how little they pay for this junk from China.

Crumbled weighting substance. Seemed heavier than it should've for its size, after I scooped it all into a bag. Probably the pulverized bones of Chinese dissidents, mixed with lead:

What's left to work with:

I'll probably epoxy some bricks to the top of the base. Or something.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Weird...I clicked that link and I immediately got the blue death screen and then my computer rebooted.

Probably just my laptop. It is acting a little strange. Anyway....I'm not clicking it again.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

Just your computer. The image loaded fine here.

Reply to
Colbyt

I recommend an old brake drum or something as a replacement base. (Painted and with felt on the floor side, of course.) Or look in the plumbing parts aisle for a big flange fitting. This ain't rocket surgery, more like blacksmithing. Whatever heavy you can scrape up and drill a hole in, that you and SWMBO can stand looking at.

-- aem sends, on Google till New Year's

Reply to
aemeijers

I recommend an old brake drum or something as a replacement base. (Painted and with felt on the floor side, of course.) Or look in the plumbing parts aisle for a big flange fitting. This ain't rocket surgery, more like blacksmithing. Whatever heavy you can scrape up and drill a hole in, that you and SWMBO can stand looking at.

-- aem sends, on Google till New Year's

According to your photo....an easy fix would be to flip it upside down and fill with cement, let cure and flip it back up...

Reply to
Jim

It's a device driver.

Reply to
Master Betty

yep had exact same thing happen to me on my lamps as well!

I took them to steel recycling bin and junked em! Never again

I will buy some other kinda lamp now

Reply to
me

"Master Betty" wrote in news:hgoose$r43$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

FYI, fine here too.

Reply to
Red Green

I had that happen about a half a dozen years ago with a generic light base. Ended up using a weight from a weightlifting set, set inside of a plywood frame. IIRC, I hot glued the whole mess together, then used three screws from the topside to secure it.

It does suck when a corner is cut that saved the company $0.50 but which results in a worthless POS.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Lighting.http://www.goodearthlighting.com/>>

You still have the base - stand the durn thing upside and fill the base with concrete

Reply to
clare

I'm thinking fishing sinkers encased in clear epoxy. Or something.

Maybe some of my neighbor's gnocchi, which are suitable for weighing down a dead body underwater.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You shifted the decimal point 2 places to the left. Probably saved them all of $0.0005 each - but that's still more than a living wage over a million units.

Reply to
clare

Not a bad idea. Let's expand on that 'or something'. Head over to your auto salvage yard and with dimensions in hand (diameter, thickness and center hole size), pick out a nice heavy flywheel. There are likely hundreds of possibilities, but with so many automatic transmissions these days you may have to find a yard that has a lot of older stock. You should find a flywheel that would fit just fine where the base weight was bolted in. Flywheels are handy things in the shop. I have one that has a vertical pipe welded in the center, with a flange on the top for my tool grinder.

Joe

Reply to
Joe