Do you know what a telephone is for?

When I was growing up, a telephone was a device you used to dial a number and speak with a friend or business person. You'd stick your finger in the hole for each number you wanted to dial, and rotated the dial. After dialing either four or seven numbers, someone would say "hello". (Unless the party line was being used, and then you would have to wait awhile). That's not too complicated or hard to understand.

However, something is wrong with the kids today. Apparently their education is awry and the schools are to blame.

One particular kid tried to take my picture with a telephone. Good Grief, what an idiot. After laughing my ass off, and telling him to go back to school, I decided to play along, and said "Cheese", while he aimed his phone at me. Then he must have shined a flashlight from behind that phone to make it look like a flash. Before I left, I told him to go to a store and buy a camera, a roll of film, and some flash bulbs if he really wanted to take pictures.

Then another stupid kid told me he could go on the internet on his phone. I said, "Come on.... you need a computer for that, and asked him if he could see a webpage inside the circles on the dial of his rotary phone. The dummy asked me what a rotary phone is..... Thats exactly what I mean about blaming the schools. I just laughed and told him to get a life..... and an education!

The worst one was the kid who said he was playing a game on his phone. I asked him if he was making prank calls to the pizza restaurant, ordering 100 pizzas to be delivered to Mr. Lion at the zoo. He thought I was funny when I told him that those are the games we used to play on the telephone. But the whole time he kept pushing buttons on his phone, pretending to play some game. As I walked away, I told him that if he kept that up, he would end up calling the police, and they would come and take him to the nut house.

What is wrong with these kids today? Why cant they figure out how to use a telephone? It's really not that difficult. And to make matters worse, why can't the comprehend that their phone is not going to work when the cord is not plugged into the wall? Beleive it or not, I've actually seen these kids walking down the street talking into a telephone. Who are they talking to? Even if phone cords are getting longer, they dont make them so long that they can be connected when they are three blocks away from home.

I think it's time we re-educate all the teachers that are supposed to be teaching our children, particularly when it comes to telephone usage.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

A telephone, now days. The phone numbers have gotten so, so long. Kids will dial phone numbers with their two thumbs, and keep dialing, and dialing. And some how never quite get connected.

The phone style has also changed. Used to be we said someething useful, and then hang up. Now, kids will, like, say, uh, like, you know, like, uh, you know, and he went, and then I went, and like she went, like, and it was, like, and she went. But never say anything useful.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

It was five numbers here (until about 1990). A benefit of a small town, that's not small anymore.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

snip

TELEPHONE, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.

Thanks to theDevilsDictionary.com

Reply to
Retired

Well, doesn't that sound just like a liberal, mud-slinging turd.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Is there any other kind?

Reply to
krw

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Today you can talk on your iPhone to a woman named Siri tell Siri "Call

415-767-1212" and Siri will call John. Back when I was a tot, my mom taught me to pick up the phone and talk to some woman named Operator. I told Operator to "Call DEcoto 2-7701" and in a moment I was connected with my grandmother.

Some things don't change.

Reply to
David Kaye

Only the last 4 numbers when I was a kid.

Reply to
willshak

Same here.

And when I was a kid, making a long distance call was a major decision, due to the cost. You'd have to write down what to tell grandma, so you could keep the call short, and the whole family would gather and everyone would get two minutes to talk.

These days, the guy next door might have a cellphone using an exchange that requires dialing "1" plus 10 more numbers, and be billed as long distance. And even to make a local call on a cellphone requires dialing the area code, or a minimum of ten numbers.

This think called "progress" continues to make our lives more complicated. And I thought it was supposed to make our lives more simple!!!!!

Personally, I think we reached our peak of technology in the 1970's. It helped us in our daily lives. Then came more and more "bells and whistles", (bloat) and soon the technology made our lives more complicated. Computers are at the top of this list. The computers and operating systems from the 90's were far more simple and easy to use than those of today. MS Windows 98 was the best operating system made. Now we need tremendous amounts of power to achieve the same results. I blame it on our youth. They are the ones who want more and more power and a million buttons to operate everything. I was looking at a simple radio at a store one day recently. Over 30 buttons to operate the thing. Hell, I remember when a radio only needed 2 knobs. VOLUME (included on/off switch), and TUNING. A bass/treble control was a luxury item.

Today, my car has some button that is supposed to find radio stations. Yep, it finds them, and it changes the station every 2 seconds. I call that thing the "sing control". Because when the radio starts doing that annoying bullshit, I shut it OFF and resort to singing my own songs.....

Reply to
fred.flintstone

snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You know the movie where all the robots take over the world? The Terminator....well, it's coming. Soon. God help anyone still alive.

Reply to
frag

I dont doubt that at all !!!!!

Here is one example that is near laughable.

I went to a rock concert at the county festival. Before the show I was watching the guys set up the sound system. They had a (so called) "Professional" Sound Company. They had a crew of 6 people setting up this system.

They had three sound boards with around 50 channels each, two more sound boards with around 30 channels. Three huge stacks filled with equalizers, sound effects boards and God only knows what else was in there. There were three computers connected, showing all sorts of graphics of the music (similar to equalizers in oscilloscope format), and a dozen other external boxes. That amounts to 210 inputs on the boards, and all that other crap.

The band consisted of 5 people. Lets see, that's 5 microphones, maybe 3 guitars, a keyboard, and lets be generous and say that the drum set had

10 mics on it. Then I'll add 3 more inputs for odds and ends, and 1 more for the CD or MP3 player used during intermission. That's 23 inputs total.

Why the hell did they have 210 inputs?

Heck, one of the 30 channel boards would have been more than enough.

The laughable part is that after they spent almost the whole day connecting all this stuff, the band itself was excellent, but the sound was barely acceptable. I should mention that I ran sound for bands when I was younger, and know what sounds good and what is not. This was NOT what I'd consider "good" sound.

**** One week later ****

I saw this same band at another event. This time they had a simple 30 channel sound board with one guy running it. This happened to be the band's own sound system, and sound man. Not only was the sound awesome, but this same man also ran the lighting and I was highly impressed by the special effects he did with the lights. After the show, I could not resist. I went up to him and complimented him on the sound and the lights. Then I said "they sure could have used you last week at the (other place). He grinned from ear to ear and said "yea, I heard that mess"...... Then said "the directors of that event insisted on doing a contract with that *professional sound company* for all shows at that whole event, and paid big money for them".......

I just said "that was a mistake"!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

... Snippage occurred...

...more snippage occurred.

When we were young and went on a trip, our parents always wanted us to call home when we arrived. Since long distance was expensive, our trick was to make an operator assisted collect call to our home. When the operator asked my mom if she would accept the charges, she would say "No!" and hang up. If we didn't call back, she knew that it was just a "We arrived safely" call.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Many people did this, and it's dishonest. You are conveying a message, but not paying for the otherwise paid service.

.

When we were young and went on a trip, our parents always wanted us to call home when we arrived. Since long distance was expensive, our trick was to make an operator assisted collect call to our home. When the operator asked my mom if she would accept the charges, she would say "No!" and hang up. If we didn't call back, she knew that it was just a "We arrived safely" call.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did this too, and I plan to go to hell for cheating the Telco out of fifty cents. Mormons know all about hell. They visit there regularly to inspect the furnaces!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

I've got a kick-ass camera on my phone (HTC Radar, Windows mobile 7.5). It is a 5-megapixel auto-focus camera with LED flash. Does burst shots, set it to auto-flash, Timer, includes auto-uploading to Skydrive. It collects lots of EXIF data, GPS location plus elevation above sea level (GPS EXIF data can be disabled). F-stop is f.2.2, exposure time is

1/3125 sec. Set at ISO-74. Metering mode is set at "center weighted average". It also has a camcorder, plenty of space for a long video (in HD).

It's not a DSLR Camera, but the pictures are fantastic.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Bullshit. When I was a kid visiting grandmom my mom always called and let the phone ring for 3 times (then hang up)when we got home to get the message all was safe. If grandmom didn't get the call in a reasonable tine, then she could find out what is up.

Remember, long distance used to cost a fortune. As long as the call is not connected, there was no charge. I don't think that's dishonest. Calls fail to connect all the time, it's not like you're using the actual service that is chargeable.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Holy shit. What language are you speaking? Can you post this in english?

Reply to
fred.flintstone

I call it lying.

.

It was called "signaling." I recently told my sister "signal when you get home."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Translation:

Lookee me! I know everythng, except which group to post to.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Lol... It means the cameras on phones are just as good or better than a stand-alone camera. No longer do you need a still camera, camcorder, voice recorder, calculator, etc... because it's all on modern phones now. Multiple device integration, gotta love it (or hate it).

All those specs were in the metadata of a photo I took, I'm not a camera expert. I just know it takes fantastic pictures.

Reply to
G. Morgan