Do you have the receipt?

If that were true no-one would have an any friends!

Reply to
Muggles

Modern "well run", i.e. highly profitable, shops push parts. There is far more profit selling lots of parts rather then selling labor. If they can sell you an "assembly", like a complete lower control are with ball joints and bushings already in it rather then just putting bushings and ball joints in your old arm, that's what they want to do. Even if the total bill is the same they make far more profit on THAT job plus they can move more jobs thru the shop for the same labor hours. The real money to be made is parts markup.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Now I understand why the local Chrysler dealership charges $15 for each spark plug.

Reply to
Paul Marks

I did the same thing at a business I worked for. They didn't blink an eye because the guy in charge didn't have time to provide a resolution. They also saved thousands of bux and the guy in charge was eternally grateful for me helping him. He was a good guy all around...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Dean Hoffman posted for all of us...

I worked at shop the paid commission on parts. It was so little it never entered my mind. Neither the shop nor I ever sold unnecessary repairs or parts. We were busy and honest. We could make lots of money fixing the mistakes and poor diagnostics of others.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

Usually Toyota people are very good but then again nothings perfect. They should have all the facilities and expertise to narrow the problem and not be parts swappers. I would complain more.

Reply to
Tekkie®

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

It might be because this is in a small town of around 30,000 people and it is a combination Ford and Toyoto dealer.

Took my dad's Ford to the same shop because a 2 year old car ingition switch went bad. Picked it up and the next day when he went somewhere he could not get in the driver door. Had to use the other door and crawl over to get to the driver seat. They had replaced the ingition switch but for some reasone they had to replace the door locks so the keys would match. This was before the smart keys and only a standard key.

That dealer does not have a good reputation around town for repairs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Heh heh heh, good one! Cheque this out!

Reply to