Do you have the receipt?

I haven't seen MAF sensors much higher than $150? I got a new Hitachi part (MAF) for $82 on eBay...which was the same part available at AZ for $128 with a 20% discount. That mechanic should watch this:

bob_villa

The dirty little secret in the car business is that the service department generates far more profit than the sales department.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wouldn't work today. You can bank from your phone now, including stop payments. I haven't been inside a bank in over a year.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

The couple bucks from over charging, expensive in the long run, as you take your business down the road.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It may not have been a MAF, but it was some sensor for the engine that Autozone or a store like that had over $ 500 on that part on line. Maybe a fuel flow sensor ? Anyway whatever part it was the cost was over $ 500 for a sensor of some kind for a 1991 Camry. Even the dealer cost was close to that. As that was over 15 years ago, I may not be recalling the correct sensor, just the price.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, when properly run. In the case of our local Buick dealer he made no money from me and lost four new car sales. I won't buy another GM car either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No coolers allowed anymore. You can still take in sealed bottles of water. Or vodka .

Reply to
sms

You can usually bring in sealed bottles of water, even at the strictest venues. And thermoses.

Reply to
sms

A good shop may cost a bit more for the repairs you need, but will save you a lot more on the repairs you do not need, because problems were found and nipped in the bud. A properly maintained vehicle requires a lot less in repairs - the maintenance more than pays for itself in the long run.

Reply to
clare

Closed Sears Automotive Centers across Canada.

Reply to
clare

That was my first choice, but I wasn't the boss.

Most customers paid with credit card, and most of the rest by cheque. We had a few corporates that ran a monthly tab - but not if they EVER missed a payment.

Reply to
clare

Around here now too. Used to be there were 4 or 5 "jobbers" that provided parts to the trade only - and 2 or 3 auto parts stores, plus Canadian Tire, who would sell anything to anyone - but at "retail".

Now there are about 12 or 15 that will sell to anyone - and to almost anyone at way below list. Even the jobbers sell more crap than high quality parts, just to make a price point.

Reply to
clare

Mabee. Mabee the wire set he'd sell you was a set that he paid 15 or 18 dollars for at trade - not the cheapassed set you could buy for $10.

I know the service station where I served my apprenticeship was part of a "buying group" that handled products the average guy could not buy. Quality stuff like Silver Beauty magnetic suppression wire ignition cables. That was back in 1969. The technology has now trickled down and is even used as OEM now - but back then it was really something. You could take a 3 foot cable and stretch it to 5 feet and the resistance didn't change. I could hose down a dodge flathead, a slant six, or a Vauxhaul Viva with the carwash and it wouldn't miss a beat. Sure couldn't do that with the cheap set from the local auto parts store. The volume of parts we went through gave us good buying power - translate that to good discounts - which allowed us to make pretty good profit on parts without gouging.

Reply to
clare

You know why you don't send a donkey to school, don't you????

Reply to
clare

When I was working as service manager, a big dealer in town advertized for a service manager and I responded. After a few minutes of the interview the job was mine for the taking, untill we started talking renumeration. This was back around 1984-86 time frame. He asked how much I needed to take the job. I told him if I wasn't worth $40,000 an year to him after 6 months, I wasn't his man.

His replay? "Service managers don't make $40,000" My reply - "Here's one who does" I then reminded him that he had a reputation in his sales department of letting the lowest grossing salesperson about every six monts - and even the lowest one made more than $40,000 a year. I also then told him the salesman only sells the customer his FIRST car - I sold him the second, the third, and the fourth and didn't collect a commission for those sales.

I walked. He went through another 3 or 4 sales managers over the next

5 years.
Reply to
clare

In the ten years I was service manager, our absorption rate was almost constantly above 80% - and quite regularly over 100% - which means if the dealership didn't sell a single car, the parts and service department made enough money to keep the doors open, covering all expenses except for the draw for the sales staff.

Most dealerships at the time struggled to hit 80%.

A large part of the reason was our retention rate. Retention rate is the percentage of vehicles sold that returned at least twice a year for service on a 3 year basis. Target was 70%. Many dealerships struggled to maintain 50%. I was consistently over 80% and for several years handilly exceded 100%., because I was servicing vehicles sold by surrounding dealerships who could not, or would not, satisfy their customers.

Reply to
clare

Yes, back then a "mobile phone" cost as much as a good used car, and was a 5 hour job to install properly in a luxury car. ( I did one in a Jag sedan - totally hidden - not even an exposed wire - back in the late seventies or early eighties - the install was a $200+ job)

Reply to
clare

The mass airflow sensor in the early Camry was a mechanical vane type unit, designed by Bosch, made by NipponDenso, and listed at something north of $400 - and at that time it was a dealer only part - not available from any other suppliers. After a couple of years, they became available from the aftermarket - but generally at the same or higher price as the dealership. It was covered by warranty for 5 years or 50,000 miles (80,000km) as an emission control part and I don't think I ever sold one retail - might have installed one or two under warranty.

By the time tha car was 10 years old I'm sure there were several other sources.

Reply to
clare

No, why do you assk?

. .