Do you have the receipt?

Interesting you should mention that. She was so pleased that I came out the same day she called, all the other companies were booked into next whenever.

So, I'm on the spot, arrive an hour or two after she calls, but that prompt service is not worth the extra couple bucks? Hmm.

If she calls back (still not working), maybe I'll be busy until next week?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quantity pricing is good, except when you have to put the bill on charge card, with interest. Then it loses all the saving.

Combined shipping is also good, I do that when possible.

I agree, that some customers are a real experience when it is time to pay the bill.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good thought. She'd already thrown out some food, due to defrosting. I'd think that saving her food was worth at least the cost of the part.

I remember the time my furnace broke, in bitter cold winter. Even with stove burners and space heaters, it was rough. I ended up paying more so I could get the furnace repaired, days sooner.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't drive one car much and often only have it serviced once a year. Get it inspected and the oil changed. It tickles me to look at the bill and see where they even add in shop supplies such as the rag the mechanic wipes his hand with. You would think they would just charge so much and be done with it instead of adding in all the small charges.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So his reply should have been: "what's it worth to you"?

Reply to
taxed and spent

I learned you, a customer, can't do that when I was in my 20's. And I figured out why the same day.

If you bring your own parts, and maybe you get to because it's an antique car and you're the only one who has the parts. (You've been hunting for them for years), then he has to charge more for labor. )

Sounds right to me.

And except for fixing tv's as a hobby, i've never been in business. But I understand their pov.

I thought everyone charged 100% markup and still did. No?

I would have taken that advice to mean that he liked you, his cousin. Not that he disliked the practice. Is it too late to ask him?

Indeed, you save an awful lot of money doing your own repairs, and some take no more time than taking the car to the shop, or waiting for the repairman to come to your house. Even if you lose time from your paid job, if you lose 50 from work but don't pay 50 to someone else, you save the money you would have spent on income tax on the money, had you earned it. Plus the satisfaction, plus it takes much less time the second time you do it (although there's a good chance I'll screw up the third time I do something.)

Reply to
micky

I think I saw that for the first time at the dealer a few months ago. I never went to a dealer before, but he had a sale and was charging no more for wheel alignment than Firestone. He also claimed both of my inner boots had leaks and needed replacing for 800 dollars. In fact, one only had 50 miles on it and the other was in perfect condition also.

Reply to
micky

Excuse my more obsessive ways, but PRICE is what someone is willing to pay. Cost usually has nothing to do with that from the buyer and is more involved with the producer and is the price is worth it given the cost.. If it did, nobody would ever go out of business.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The cost is what someone is willing to pay. Take bottles water. I'd not pay 50¢ for a bottle at the store down the street, but stranded in the middle of the desert I'd pay $20+ for it.

Fix my fridge and keep $200 worth of food from spoiling . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to do my own work. Just had brakes done and I saw what I was charged for the pads. I know I could have gotten them cheaper, but I don't get down on the ground so easy any more so I paid to have them put in.

I also understand the shop had to either stock them or go get them etc. He has to get a markup, he has to make a profit. What is the difference if I pay $50 for pads and $50 for labor or if I pay $25 for pads and $75 for labor? End of the day, the shop has to bring in a certain amount of money to exist.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I hate that charge. It is built into some of the dealer software to add

2% to the bill. I had some diagnostic done that required just plugging in the computer so I disputed the charge. I asked to see the dirty rags and other trash generated. They took it off the bill.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Went to a major league ball game a number of years ago. They wanted $ 4.00 for a bottle of water when you can get about 20 of them in the store for that price.. Big ripoff when you take the family and have several to buy for. The next time we went we took small coolers and our own drinks.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Common practice nowadays including so called disposal fee. But as long as they do a good job, LOL! Go to a tire shop to have a set of new tires, they have environmental fee, same with batteries.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Quite unusual. parts plus labor is total of usual bill. All kinda people in the world.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use my laptop to pull the OBD II code using a USB adapter kit I built and freeware software.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You don't work on furnace yourself?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I can see charging for tire disposal...but batteries? If I get a core fee, they must!

Reply to
bob_villa

That's great. Good for you.

Reply to
micky

That's right. These guys are not getting rich, or Clare would still be doing that. The mechanics make a good middle income living, I hope, and the owner makes an upper middle income income, but he has lots of money invested in the franchise and/or the building, the land, the inventory, the tools that the mechanics don't bring, the commitment to pay salaries, etc.

I don't feel that way about dealers, however.

Reply to
micky

Good mechanics working in flat rate shop make pretty good money.

Reply to
Tony Hwang