Do you have the receipt?

Page 2 of 6

It may not have been a MAF, but it was some sensor for the engine that Autozone or a store like that had over $ 500 on that part on line. Maybe a fuel flow sensor ? Anyway whatever part it was the cost was over $ 500 for a sensor of some kind for a 1991 Camry. Even the dealer cost was close to that. As that was over 15 years ago, I may not be recalling the correct sensor, just the price.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:02:25 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

unit, designed by Bosch, made by NipponDenso, and listed at something north of $400 - and at that time it was a dealer only part - not available from any other suppliers. After a couple of years, they became available from the aftermarket - but generally at the same or higher price as the dealership. It was covered by warranty for 5 years or 50,000 miles (80,000km) as an emission control part and I don't think I ever sold one retail - might have installed one or two under warranty.
By the time tha car was 10 years old I'm sure there were several other sources.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:29:33 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

The dirty little secret in the car business is that the service department generates far more profit than the sales department.

Yes, when properly run. In the case of our local Buick dealer he made no money from me and lost four new car sales. I won't buy another GM car either.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:09:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

almost constantly above 80% - and quite regularly over 100% - which means if the dealership didn't sell a single car, the parts and service department made enough money to keep the doors open, covering all expenses except for the draw for the sales staff.
Most dealerships at the time struggled to hit 80%.
A large part of the reason was our retention rate. Retention rate is the percentage of vehicles sold that returned at least twice a year for service on a 3 year basis. Target was 70%. Many dealerships struggled to maintain 50%. I was consistently over 80% and for several years handilly exceded 100%., because I was servicing vehicles sold by surrounding dealerships who could not, or would not, satisfy their customers.
On 6/24/2015 10:29 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The couple bucks from over charging, expensive in the long run, as you take your business down the road.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

for a service manager and I responded. After a few minutes of the interview the job was mine for the taking, untill we started talking renumeration. This was back around 1984-86 time frame. He asked how much I needed to take the job. I told him if I wasn't worth $40,000 an year to him after 6 months, I wasn't his man.
His replay? "Service managers don't make $40,000" My reply - "Here's one who does" I then reminded him that he had a reputation in his sales department of letting the lowest grossing salesperson about every six monts - and even the lowest one made more than $40,000 a year. I also then told him the salesman only sells the customer his FIRST car - I sold him the second, the third, and the fourth and didn't collect a commission for those sales.
I walked. He went through another 3 or 4 sales managers over the next 5 years.
Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

Usually Toyota people are very good but then again nothings perfect. They should have all the facilities and expertise to narrow the problem and not be parts swappers. I would complain more.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

It might be because this is in a small town of around 30,000 people and it is a combination Ford and Toyoto dealer.
Took my dad's Ford to the same shop because a 2 year old car ingition switch went bad. Picked it up and the next day when he went somewhere he could not get in the driver door. Had to use the other door and crawl over to get to the driver seat. They had replaced the ingition switch but for some reasone they had to replace the door locks so the keys would match. This was before the smart keys and only a standard key.
That dealer does not have a good reputation around town for repairs.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:01:11 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

Closed Sears Automotive Centers across Canada.
Dean Hoffman posted for all of us...

I worked at shop the paid commission on parts. It was so little it never entered my mind. Neither the shop nor I ever sold unnecessary repairs or parts. We were busy and honest. We could make lots of money fixing the mistakes and poor diagnostics of others.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 6/23/2015 10:29 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I hate that charge. It is built into some of the dealer software to add 2% to the bill. I had some diagnostic done that required just plugging in the computer so I disputed the charge. I asked to see the dirty rags and other trash generated. They took it off the bill.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I use my laptop to pull the OBD II code using a USB adapter kit I built and freeware software.

That's great. Good for you.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

as they do a good job, LOL! Go to a tire shop to have a set of new tires, they have environmental fee, same with batteries.
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:27:33 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

I can see charging for tire disposal...but batteries? If I get a core fee, they must!
On 6/23/2015 1:50 PM, bob_villa wrote:

They can also sell the batteries. I saw a place paying up to $10 for them.

With tires, the disposal fee is charged whether or not you leave them tires to dispose of. So, it is like a recycling fee charged on a can of soda. But, you cannot turn in a tire and get the recycling fee back - that is why you still see tires abandoned all over the place. If they would let people turn in tires for a buck apiece, there wouldn't be any abandoned tires.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:10:57 -0700, "taxed and spent"

roadsides??? Perhaps not as many as before there were deposits/refunds on them - but still WAY too many. Even in areas where pop cans have deposits, you find them scattered all around. (enough to keep some homeless folks busy collecting empties, anyway)

nowhere near as many as before the deposits. I worked on a farm along a road and was constantly picking up many, many cans and bottles - until the deposits were established.