Do you have the receipt?

Page 1 of 6
Just had a first. I've been repairing refrigerators for about twenty years. I went out this AM, and worked on a refrigerator. Did my best. She called back about 6 PM, it's still problems. She gave me more information, and my diagnosis changed. Drove back (half hour from here) to work on the fridge again. Used a new in the bag part, I'd bought several years ago. Told her I guessed the part was about $25, bought it years ago.
She asked if I had the receipt. Took a minute to understand. She wants to see the receipt of what I paid at the wholesale house. No, the receipt is in a drawer or folder at home.
And even if I did, I wouldn't show you. I sell for retail. I'll make a phone call tomorrow, see what the current retail price is, and call her back. What an evening.
On 6/22/2015 9:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. She expects to pay wholesale? Do you charge for the trip? She should check your odometer.

No, she expects the repair guy to not just make up a number out of his head.
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 19:28:51 -0700, "taxed and spent"

I occaisionally had customers when I was at the garage who expected to get the parts at cost, or who brought in parts they bought elsewhere and expected me to install them. (used, discount, or whatever) I finally posted labour rate to install customer supplied parts at 150% of regular rate. Easier than refusing to install the parts, with the same result.
Then one of my first contracts in the computer business - a well known software company, needed a particular component in a rush. One of my suppliers had it in stock, so I got it (at wholesale) and charged it out to the customer at MSRP - about 15% over cost. A week later they discovered they could have bought the component from my supplier for the same price I paid for it, and the "boss" had a hissy fit, refusing to pay my price, and saying it was not right for me to make money on components I supplied as a contractor.
It was a pretty good gig - but I walked out and never went back. If my knowing where to get the part they needed "yesterday", and getting it to them within the hour wasn't worth something to them, too bad. They were not getting it for nothing, and I didn't need their work badly enough to take the abuse that came with it.
Turns out most of their programmers and software engineers were "contractors" too - except the were really emplyees - as determined by Revenue Canada a year or so later. As "contractors" the company did not have to pay ANY benefits, did not need to with-hold any taxes, or pay any health tax, UI, holiday pay, etc. Instead of a "time sheet" the "contractors" turned in weekly "invoices" for their time - but they were required to work exclusively for that company with signed non-disclosure agreements etc - with percribed hours etc. Unlike myself - a consultant brought in to solve problems with their computer network and maintain their equipment
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:19:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When I worked in a TV repair shop in the late 50s the standard vacuum tube markup was 100%. Those were the days.

In the 60's my dad worked at a store repairing appliances. The parts markup was double their cost also.
On 6/22/2015 11:59 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

repair shop.
When I needed repairs, he would buy the part at cost for me and have shop do the work.
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:36:24 -0700, J0HNS0N

had dropped a lot before I went into business on my own 5 years later!!!

later I got a call that some old equipment was being restarted and they needed some help. I told them I would come back for the short time they wanted but double what I was making while working. That is what they said I worth when working, benefits, 401k, insurance and such. They balked at that , so I did not go back. I did not need the money and would only be doing that just to help them out. I thought if I was worth that much before retiring, I would be worth that much if not more when they needed experienced short time help.
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:38:30 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

reasonable wage, but definitely not high pay, when a dealer closer to home offered me a job at a dollar an hour more - and back in 1972 a dollar was a fair amount. I accepted the job, and gave my notice to my current employer. He offered to double my pay rate if I stayed, I had to tell him if I was worth that to stay, I was worth that before I left, and I had given my new employer my word I'd be there in 2 weeks and I'd be there. - Told him he better pay my replacement what he was worth if he wanted to keep him.
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:19:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Most people don't expect to get screwed on parts prices nowadays. The parts costs are readily available, and they're not in the dark. Labor cost is take it or leave it. Car parts prices have been available for many years, and so has part costs on the final bill. Why go where you're going to get gouged on parts? Even 50 years ago a good mechanic working for my cousin took me aside and told me in a whisper I needed ignition wires. "Get them at the parts store down the street and do it yourself. Mike is gonna charge you twice what he pays for them." Even he didn't like that practice. That's what got me started doing most of my own repairs.
On 6/23/2015 4:42 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I had a couple things needed replacing on my car, so I bought the parts and took it in to the neighborhood shop for them to do the work for me. Got a call from them later, saying I also needed a new radiator (which wasn't a surprise), and there'd be a delay since they had to order it. I said, Wait, I'd found one online for ninety bucks. She said, We beat that, we found it for $75.

I don't drive one car much and often only have it serviced once a year. Get it inspected and the oil changed. It tickles me to look at the bill and see where they even add in shop supplies such as the rag the mechanic wipes his hand with. You would think they would just charge so much and be done with it instead of adding in all the small charges.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:29:23 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

I think I saw that for the first time at the dealer a few months ago. I never went to a dealer before, but he had a sale and was charging no more for wheel alignment than Firestone. He also claimed both of my inner boots had leaks and needed replacing for 800 dollars. In fact, one only had 50 miles on it and the other was in perfect condition also.

A local tire shop was advertising for a service manager, claiming very generous earnings for "the right person". After talking about my experience etc, their final question was "could I sell?" They said for someone who "could sell" the job could pay upwards of six figures per year (and this was in the eighties!!!) I said "sell, or upsell?" I could sell what was required, but I couldn't steal from customers.
Less than a year later the shop was closed down, and the management in jail
On 6/23/2015 10:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've taken (but never again for the rest of my life) repairs to Midas Muffler Brake. They do nice quality work, but I don't like the 1 - 2 - 4 level pricing. For example, on the phone, it sounds like $100 job. Estimate in writing says it's a $200 job. By the time they find all the other things, it's $400.
I've talked to others about the Midas touch, they were just as offended as I.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 22:28:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But I went to the dealer because they were the same price. It's the dealer who tried to sell me two boots.
I saw what you said about dealers having to buy all that stuff, and pay for all that training, so I'll limit myself to this dealer. Except that the whole setup makes it near impossible for the customer to know what's going on. At most shops if I cant' go int the bay, in decent weather I can stand outside the bay and see what he's doing. When he finds rips in my boot, he'll call me in and show me, and I'm sure the insurance allows for that. But at this dealer -- all dealer builtings built in the last 20 years maybe????? I drop the car off at one end of the building and they have someone else drive it around to the mechanics. It's clear I'm not wanted in that big room.
Though the girl they assigned to talk to me said I coudl have seen the car. Of course this was a day later when I called with questions. Even when I first heard her rattle off stuf (I missed it iirc when she said I needed boots.) by that time the car was done and returned to my side
We'll see what happns when I bring it back. They'll probably claim I had the boots replaced.

Good for you. I guess you're not the "right person", with his definition of right.

Wow. Makes you feel good,doesn't it.

Do you remember the lawsuits against Sears some years ago? I think the mechanics got a commission on parts on an individual basis. The results were almost inevitable. Customers got parts they really didn't need.

I had a car in the shop a few years back. The online help from stores like Autozone pointed to the mass air sensor ( think that was it) that was about a $ 500 part. Instead of getting that part I took the car to a dealer where I though they should be able to check out that part. The mechanic replaced about 3 or 4 other things that cost form $ 50 to $ 100 each that did not solve the problem. They finally replaced the sensor after about 2 weeks and an email from me to Toyota about that dealer not being able to repair a problem. I still had to pay for the other items that were replaced that were not needed. I don't think I was ripped off by the mechanic other than he did not how to check out a car. Just a parts changer instead of a real mechanic. The dealer did say he was just going to charge me their cost for several of the items to try and make me happy.
That and a couple of other things cost them atleast 2 car sales from me over the next 10 years, and I will only buy from them again if they are really below out of town car prices. They will be the last place I look at for a car.
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 9:29:57 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I haven't seen MAF sensors much higher than $150? I got a new Hitachi part (MAF) for $82 on eBay...which was the same part available at AZ for $128 with a 20% discount. That mechanic should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2QLxxstRn8