Do you ever get "permits"?

Page 1 of 3
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely visible outside?
On 05/25/2015 02:05 PM, Anthony wrote:

My house was a total piece of junk "fixer-upper" when I bought it and it had that crummy fake-brick tar paper siding that was in horrible shape.
Technically I suppose I should have gotten a permit when I put board and batten siding on...but I did so , slowly over a 15 year period of time... no one from the city cited me for anything.
I always do check the city records though when I hire a licensed contractor and see that for wiring, furnace, water heater and plumbing...all permits are in order.
After the work was done by the contractor, the city came out and okayed it.
On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:

Inside, never. Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.
Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.
Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.

I have a mix of both here. Generally, if they can nondestructively inspect something after the fact, not having a permit is only money (typically a permit at double the cost). I am always "caught" by the property appraiser for taxes the next year but I have never had problems from the building department.
A lot depends on your neighbors. 99% of the time, the "problem" is because you get ratted out by a neighbor.

This may have been true in the past. Nowadays problems are at least equally likely concerning house insurance. Most insurance clerks nowadays know little about house construction or maintenance, therefore demand building permits on all likely occasions.
Mind you, city hall staff nowadays may know little about building or safety engineering. The backyard pool bylaw in my municipality says replacing a pool requires no permit, provided you still have the original permit and notify city hall. When I did so, the city clerk said I ought to get a building permit ($200 cash and six weeks' delay) "just to be sure."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 7:00:01 PM UTC-4, Don Phillipson wrote:

Maybe things work differently up there, but I've never had an insurance agent demand or even ask about a building permit for anything. The only time anyone was even here to look at anything was when I filed a Sandy hurricane claim.

That's a hobby of one of my sisters. She snoops the online county property tax site for her neighborhood and compares their tax assessments to hers. If they haven't got certain improvements listed in the property description and/or their taxes are lower than hers, she notifies the county assessor of the improvements made to her neighbors' properties. If they don't respond, she nags them until they come out to do an on-site assessment.
She's one of those people who just can't stand the idea that anyone else may be doing as well as she is, or that they may be doing a little better than she thinks they should.

She would do well in North Korea.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 07:27:02 -0700, "taxed and spent"

On 5/26/2015 10:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Reminds me of the bit about "you have two cows" that made the rounds a few years ago. This comrade, learning her neighbor has two cows, pesters the local government until they come out and shoot both cows, and haul them off to the landfill. And then present the neighbor with a bill for the process.

Seems a lot like the attitude of, "I don't want it, but you can't have it either." Once you've seen THAT mental attitude aggressively applied, ... just 'shudder'
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:19:58 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

can generally see them by driving by.
On 5/26/2015 10:19 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That is both evil, and pathetic at the same time. I'm so glad that I don't know her, or live within range of her evil clutches.
Also sounds like a total left wing liberal.
On Wed, 27 May 2015 06:41:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 3:58:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

new roof or an edition, definitely yes. My neighborhood is really up and coming and quite desirable so the codes inspectors are continually driving through.

Years ago, when we lived inSan Jose, CA and was 'rebuilding' our home; the local paper, San Jose Mercury, ran a 'contest' for "Home Improvement Projects" The idea was to proudly show your work off and win some type of contest for 'best improvement to San Jose'.
I stayed FAR away from that contest and was very glad I did. You can't believe the sudden increase in permit violations and "stop work orders" that were issued that year. Yep, the county and paper working together to make life better, NOT!
On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:

I ensure the work I do falls within code, therefore, the city can take their permits and shove it. IMO, most permits are to collect more money from us tax paying residents. Since the work still falls within code, I can ensure if/when I ever sell my home, it'll pass inspection.
I had a execvator rip me off , if i had gotten a permit he couldnt of ripped me off....... for a exterior french foundation drain
ended up paying twice for the same job:(
put up a shed once, it didnt meet setback requirements, but then no one elses did.......
someone ratted me out. i had to get a variance. if i had put the shed where they wanted it would of killed a 200 year old + sycamore
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:47:21 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

if it was a big job withno permit inspection may be impossible, a real PIA at home sale time

The only problem is with concealed elements that an after the fact inspector may want to see. If he wants to see the rebar in your footings, you are screwed. Pictures may help if they are willing to cooperate but they certainly do not have to. The fact that you paid taxes on this addition for a number of years might grease the wheels a bit. I doubt they would even pursue it after a year or two. Things that violate your zoning or encroach on the property line are another issue. The neighbor who ratted you out is unlikely to sign off on a variance and not without significant compensation. OTOH permits are described in a fairly ambiguous way so you might be able to tack a lot of stuff that was done without permits on one you did get at sale time. Certainly the plans are on file somewhere but they are not generally going to be available without a lot more effort than your average home inspector is willing to expend.