Do you do?

Page 2 of 3

I'll send you a bill.
Add pictures here
✖
You couldn't compose a proper bill if you had four years of accounting college. (mighta been a bit oversnotty, please credit me for the excess.)
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unless you are booked solid, and the only locksmith in town, you need the customer more than the customer needs you. Act accordingly. Proper reply when you call back is 'Well, that depends. What kind of combination lock are you needing help with?'
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On May 1, 1:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Well if this not a troll??????
How does a smart alecky, "Slightly snotty" reply do any good or help any business? What such an uncharitable and one might say, 'Unchristian' answer might imply is the following.
"Well I'm a pretty superior sort of person An expert in my field.Your question is poorly worded and incomplete. Not sure I can deal with you".
Yup; nothing better calculated to personally turn me off from doing business with you. The question is a perfectly reasonable one. It merely opens a conversation; leading to whether the locksmith is mobile, does the locksmith travel to your location etc. etc. The expression 'No such thing as a stupid question ......' comes to mind.
It also opens the possibility for the locksmith to do some coaching of the potential customer, depending on the amount time available etc.
It is now a few years since we ceased operating a small business; but still get phone calls (got one tonight in fact for potential business next Dec 17th) often saying something along the lines of "We were so pleased with your help and obliging service that we are calling again for ................... Oh; sorry that you are no longer in business!".
We were in that business from 1970 to 2004. Sometimes dealing with two or more generations of the same family!
Maybe an appropriate reply would be "Thank you for your enquiry of ...... Very happy to discuss your requirement and if it's within our capability and resources and time available, maybe we can be of assistance/service".
That leaves door open to declining the work if it's not reasonable, unprofitable etc. Also how on earth does one know how much business is or is/not out there if callers get 'turned off' and don't call. Or worse the locksmith doesn't call back! Or whenthey do have a 'snotty' attitude
In another business previous to the one already mentioned (in the 1950s to 1960s) we established a reputation for service and fair dealing in the tube TV repair business (Yes! Villainous TV repair!) Such that many years later it was mentioned time and again when we were elected twice, to local town councils and served our municipality, without remuneration in that capacity for nearly ten years. A very rewarding experience btw.
In most parts of the English speaking world there are expressions such as; "What goes around, comes around". In other words 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. No wonder somebody needs to "Learn more about Jesus"!
How much better to have someone say "Such an obliging person, that locksmith; and once he got here he that lock fixed in jig time". The message coming across as; he is good at what he does, he is obliging therefore he's in demand and is busy. So we were lucky we called HIM for our lock work.
Aw heck! (Won't say he**) Here endeth the lesson.
Just go and buy a new lock; forget calling a locksmith.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:12:20 -0700 (PDT), stan

Look at the pool of people who are locksmiths. It's for people who are otherwise unemployable and don't have many options.
If he's an especially ambitious locksmith, he may repair storm door screens as a sideline.
Add pictures here
✖
The caller inquiring "Do you do combination locks?" was probably only a maintenance supervisor from a large apartment complex who only wanted a few hundred mailbox locks redone. Certainly you don't need that kind of business.

✖
On May 1, 8:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Or he has a hotel on the ocean and is thinking of changing 300 locks, and gives rooms and boat free to friends when they are avalaible. Once I got a call about painting 1 lousy door, It turned out to be 130 doors, I restored brass hardware and sprayed them for a nice hotel, the place kept me busy for years until they hired a full time live in painter. If an add says "We do Locks", you do locks, and look for commercial jobs where you can eat for years. There is nothing better than big jobs where you get alot done.
Add pictures here
✖
It turned out to be a woman whose father had died. She had the combination, but was having trouble opening Dad's safe. I did return the call the next morning, and she had got the safe open.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No you haven't.
Instead of trying to insult your customers, make a joke and say "Does a bear shit in the woods?"
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/1/2009 2:42 AM G. Morgan spake thus:

I thought that was supposed to be "Does the Pope shit in the woods?"
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Are Bears Catholic ?
Add pictures here
✖

I think the modern version is- Does the Pope's bear shit in the Vatican? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Bear children should be leery of this.
Add pictures here
✖
Only if the priest asks them to bear all. Is a furry cub bear naked?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There's woods near his place?
Add pictures here
✖
Sure, plenty of woods near the Vatican. And yes, bears shit in the Vatican.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

-snip-
-snip-
In your head you reply with a simple "Yes". and wait for the next question.
In real life, you pick up the phone, call the customer & say "We do lots of things to combinations locks, Mrs. Smith. what's your pleasure?"
Because, although the customer is not necessarily always right. . . they are never, ever, wrong.
Jim [and if you can't pull off the 'you're the bestest person in the whole world, Mrs. smith' lie with conviction, then get out of retail. you're only torturing yourself and the people you come in contact with]
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever actually read your sig and consider what it means?
Add pictures here
✖
Jesus had some pretty zippy answers. "Neither do I tell thee" and things like that. He sure is a good role model.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus