Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

It may have bladeoporosis.
On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:24:25 -0700 (PDT), InTheSouth

When I got my new-used electric mower, I intended to sharpen the blade, but was in a hurry to mow the lawn and I put the blade on without sharpening or balancing.
There's no noticeable vibration, but 2 to 5 times each time I mow the lawn, it leaves a strip uncut, tapered up to an inch or two wide. I'll go over the strip again but usually it's still not cut. Sometimes a third time gets it. Sometimes I just figure I'll get it next time.
The kind of grass is the same as the grass next to it that got cut the first time.
OTOH, when it does cut, there are no ragged edges.
So what is going on?

I use a 4" angle grinder. Used carefully, no blue.
On 05/05/2014 06:04 PM, Ken Olson wrote:

I used a 6" bench grinder, and no blue either. I run a couple of passes on one side, then flip it over and do the other side. I don't "dwell" a long time, as it only takes maybe one second for a pass, taking a light grind.
Doing it this way keeps the blade cool enough for me to touch it with my hands.
Jon
On 5/5/2014 11:17 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Belt sander works well too
Per Jon Danniken:

My blades are time consuming to remove/replace so I've gone over to a little attachment to my Dremel tool: turn the mower on it's side, run the Dremel... and it's done.
But next time I am going to finish off with a light pass perpendicular to the edge to give it that flat area that Clare mentioned.
--
Pete Cresswell

You guys give great advice, but my push mower has a reel instead of a blade.
I've tried the valve grinding spin backwards trick and it's a waste of time.
On 5/6/2014 12:17 PM, TimR wrote:

blade has been too far from the reel. I found threaded adjusters down near the bottom. Hope that helps.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:55:29 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My adjustments work fine. But the blades are nicked up after years of use. I'd like to grind them clean and square, but can't figure out how to do t hat at home, and there aren't repair places equipped to work on them like t here used to be. You need a jig that holds the grinder on a straight path while you move the reel.
I guess I should ask the golf course where they get theirs done.
Saturday May 10, 2014 Ran the walk behind mower first time of the year, today. Through high grass, it barely does anything at all. maybe Monday (give the motor a chance to cool) I'll sharpen and balance the blade.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 5/6/2014 11:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mine must not be very "hardened" because I simply run the gas out and take the spark plug out. Then I take an old hand file and run over the blade a bit. Seems to work just fine. I probably should balance it but I've never used anything other than a hand file. I used to take the blade off, but it just seemed like a waste of time.
Oren wrote:

Who is John Galt?
On 05/10/2014 04:15 PM, gonjah wrote:

The last thing you want is a hardened mower blade, as it would be too brittle to be run safely at the speeds a mower blade is run at. Instead, it is designed to deform when it strikes an unexpected item, instead of sending chunks hither and yaw.
Jon
On Sun, 11 May 2014 06:11:01 -0700, Jon Danniken

A good blade is made of the right steel and hardened right. Not enough to be brittle, but to resist wear. https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/4382_fb_Lawn_Mower_Blades.htm I don't use my mower on sand or hard stuff hard stuff, so don't really care. I touched my old blade up on the grinder every couple years. Last year I bought this. (Amazon.com product link shortened) It mulches better, cutting the leavings so fine I don't see them unless the grass is too long. It's a heavy blade. Don't think I'll sharpen it on the grinder but I might take a file to it next year. Or I might buy a new blade or mower as mine is 10 years old and I just noticed it has a new vibration, which means the blade is out of balance, or maybe the engine is shot. Checked and it's not loose. Maybe it's just old gas. Two years old, and the five gallon gas container has had a paper towel stuck in the spout. I'll get new gas for the next fill up.
On Sun, 11 May 2014 06:11:01 -0700, Jon Danniken

a reasonable edge and not shatter.
On Mon, 12 May 2014 13:47:23 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang

eliminates that. It is so you don't skin knuckles, and so you can balance the blade.
On Monday, May 12, 2014 5:41:19 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

s very uncommon but you know corporations have to make safe recommendations .

That's not the point. I realize you can make it safe. If they recommend s harpening it on the mower someone would not make sure it can't start and ac cidentally start the engine and then try to hold them liable. So they tell you to take the blade off first.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:35:41 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:

t's very uncommon but you know corporations have to make safe recommendatio ns.

accidentally start the engine and then try to hold them liable. So they te ll you to take the blade off first.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me you have pretty much the same risk of the mower accidently starting while removing the blade. Just for the record, I've been taking off blades without pulling off the ignition wire for 30 years and never had anything happen. But then I'm not dumb enough to turn the blade, which is what you'd have to do to get compression and spark. And mowers have had ignition kill when you release the handle for a couple decades now anyway, so there's that.
The reason for taking it off is so you can easily sharpen it and have easy access. I use a hand=held grinder. That or a bench grinder won't work with the blade on the mower. And I can't imagine screwing around with a file, and even that IMO would be a lot easier with the blade off, so you can get at it. How do you get a file to where it needs to go, get the angle right, and not hit the sides of the mower deck? Don't know what kind of mowers you all have, but that's how it works around here.

I also use the nail, but just put in the vise that I use to hold the blade while I sharpen it with a file.
Take out blade and put in nail, then see which side if any is lower and put it back in the vise and file it a stroke or two and repeat.