Do we need a methane/propane detector?

Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane) appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater, clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a methane detector?

Reply to
Phisherman

If you have a serious leak, and no one is around, it won't matter if you have a methane detector. If someone is home, you'll smell it. Everyone in the house should know how to turn off the main gas supply

Reply to
RBM

I'm afraid I would be setting the darn thing off every time I ate dairy products.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's not uncommon for elderly people and others with an impaired sense of smell to not be able to smell the scent the gas company puts in the gas. If you have an older person in the house, you might want an alarm for that reason. My mother has a tendency to bump the knobs of her gas range while cleaning the stove, just enough to emit gas without activating the spark unit. So the kitchen begins filling with gas and she doesn't even notice.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Hi, I have CO/gas detector in addition to smoke/flame detector in my 5th wheel trailer. Only CO detectors and smoke/flame detectors in the house and cabin. IMO, you should answer your own question. There is no such thing as over-safe.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Would a Ng detector on the floor work.

Reply to
ransley

Yes.

There are many cases where the stink in the gas is removed by moisture and then you have flammable gas collect...then *BOOM*.

You never saw it coming.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools