Do time delay fuses control power in the house?

I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours, Edison restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off the main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back on, but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside with two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the partial power loss?
Could be - put a meter on it in ohm setting to see if the fuse is blown. It should show nearly zero resistance - if not the fuse should be replaced.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't have a meter tester. Do hardware stores generally have a service where they test fuses for customers? snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

On 10 Aug 2006 08:12:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You can probably get them checked on Ebay. They'll make you bid on the test then charge you a few bucks plus about $30 for shipping & handling.
Of course you can probably get a test light on Ebay for one dollar plus $19.99 S&H, or just go to the hardware store and buy one for about $2 plus tax. They are just a simple neon light but they work.
Or you could just buy 2 fuses and change them. Never hurts to have spares anyhow.
You might have a dead leg on your mains too. Thats why you need a tester of some sort.
Lets please not be telling the guy to reach into the electric box.....
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Get a low cost VOM, you can find one at Radio Shack for $20. Then you can test fuses, etc. You can also test it with some jumpers and any available battery powered small load, by just putting it in series.
What in the house is not working? Normally time delay fuses are used on loads that take a larger start current, ie A/C, etc.
Hi- There are three rooms without power from the outlets and ceiling lights. The funny thing is in our bedroom, some outlets work and some don't. I plugged in a radio in a working outlet in the house and it works. Edison came out and checked the main breaker and GFI outlet and everything is fine. Looks like i'll have to call an electrician. A friend mentioned i should check all the wall outlets for a loose wire that may be shorted out if they are in a series.By the way, the time delay fuses are for the A/C so that rules out the power loss in the house. Bob. snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

How come you did not buy a tester yet? The least you can do is be sure there is voltage one each breaker or fuse..... Those small neon testers are only a couple bucks. If there is voltage at each breaker or fuse, then you might have a wiring problem and may need an electrician if you cant do it yourself. But at least check to be sure you got power on each breaker/fuse. Breakers can be defective, and fuses can appear good, yet be blown.
------------------------
On 10 Aug 2006 10:05:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Be sure to thank God tonight that you don't. If you'd tried that, you would possibly have fried yourself.
Please call the power co back, an electrician, a handyman, or a lady with the alligator purse. I'm not kidding when I say that you can kill yourself by sticking things into an electrical box.
The other guy suggesting you test the fuses did you no favors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

be sure to remove it from the panel first :-)

I was thinking the same thing. Best to test it removed from the box. Place it in your hand and test it.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

^^^^ Mandatory
Try testing it in-circuit and watch your meter melt.

Easy everybody. I wouldn't do anything stupid. What i'll probably do is check all the wall outlets{with power off!} to see if any wire is loose from the wire nut. Then i will go into the attic to check for loose or fried wires. At least my electric bill will be lower this month.! CJT wrote:

I sure hope you post a follow up, and instuct the H.O. how to ohm a fuse safely, without exploding the meter by connecting ohms across a 230 volt potential. You trying to kill the guy, suggesting he ohm out his fuses?
Hint: Take the F_ _ _ out of the P_ _ _ _ so that you don't fry your A _ _ off by following incomplete advice off the internet.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

That's one of the things I'm likely to forget to mention, since I've known it so long. You don't use an ohmmeter on a circuit with power supplied.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Never measure ohms without measuring voltage first. Only if there are zero volts should one try to measure ohms. Even with overload protection, that some meters have, one might burn out the meter otherwise.

It's generally less likely that time delay fuses will burn out, and there is nothing special about a power failure that would change this.
I see they are on your AC. Well, your AC stops and then starts over and over, and restarting after a power failure isn't much different from restarting after anything else.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Don't try to use the OHM setting of your meter with the fuse still in it's fuse holder. If you do then you will blow the meters fuse or roach your meter. Use the voltage setting and measure across the fuse. If you get 120 volts the fuse is bad.
--
Tom Horne