Do time delay fuses control power in the house?

I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours, Edison restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off the main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back on, but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside with two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the partial power loss?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

bs0323

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

You can probably get them checked on Ebay. They'll make you bid on the test then charge you a few bucks plus about $30 for shipping & handling.

Of course you can probably get a test light on Ebay for one dollar plus $19.99 S&H, or just go to the hardware store and buy one for about $2 plus tax. They are just a simple neon light but they work.

Or you could just buy 2 fuses and change them. Never hurts to have spares anyhow.

You might have a dead leg on your mains too. Thats why you need a tester of some sort.

Reply to
poly&etheline

With the power off swap the fuses. Power on and see if the same circuits are dead.

Reply to
Bud--

Get a low cost VOM, you can find one at Radio Shack for $20. Then you can test fuses, etc. You can also test it with some jumpers and any available battery powered small load, by just putting it in series.

What in the house is not working? Normally time delay fuses are used on loads that take a larger start current, ie A/C, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

be sure to remove it from the panel first :-)

Reply to
CJT

How come you did not buy a tester yet? The least you can do is be sure there is voltage one each breaker or fuse..... Those small neon testers are only a couple bucks. If there is voltage at each breaker or fuse, then you might have a wiring problem and may need an electrician if you cant do it yourself. But at least check to be sure you got power on each breaker/fuse. Breakers can be defective, and fuses can appear good, yet be blown.

------------------------

Reply to
maradcliff

I was thinking the same thing. Best to test it removed from the box. Place it in your hand and test it.

Reply to
maradcliff

I sure hope you post a follow up, and instuct the H.O. how to ohm a fuse safely, without exploding the meter by connecting ohms across a

230 volt potential. You trying to kill the guy, suggesting he ohm out his fuses?

Hint: Take the F_ _ _ out of the P_ _ _ _ so that you don't fry your A _ _ off by following incomplete advice off the internet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be sure to thank God tonight that you don't. If you'd tried that, you would possibly have fried yourself.

Please call the power co back, an electrician, a handyman, or a lady with the alligator purse. I'm not kidding when I say that you can kill yourself by sticking things into an electrical box.

The other guy suggesting you test the fuses did you no favors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lets please not be telling the guy to reach into the electric box.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's one of the things I'm likely to forget to mention, since I've known it so long. You don't use an ohmmeter on a circuit with power supplied.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Never measure ohms without measuring voltage first. Only if there are zero volts should one try to measure ohms. Even with overload protection, that some meters have, one might burn out the meter otherwise.

It's generally less likely that time delay fuses will burn out, and there is nothing special about a power failure that would change this.

I see they are on your AC. Well, your AC stops and then starts over and over, and restarting after a power failure isn't much different from restarting after anything else.

Reply to
mm

Mandatory

Try testing it in-circuit and watch your meter melt.

Reply to
CJT

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

Don't try to use the OHM setting of your meter with the fuse still in it's fuse holder. If you do then you will blow the meters fuse or roach your meter. Use the voltage setting and measure across the fuse. If you get 120 volts the fuse is bad.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT