Do those pool filter pleat brushes actually work? (Have you ever used one?)

Every time I clean the filters, I wish I there was a better method:

I don't know if these nice filter pleat brushes actually work:
http://www.toysplash.com/images/products/300128_l.jpg
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poqac/121027/881r1/50858e4_27.jpeg
(Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/product.aspx?productid=SKU19130&scode=SOCIBLOG&e13=Y&pcode 8 etc.
Have you ever tried them? Do they work any better than a garden hose? (Mine is about 60 PSI last I checked.) -------------------------------------------
On Thu, 16 May 2013 06:11:50 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Some people soak them in a bucket of tetrasodium phosphor detergents (tsp).
On Thu, 16 May 2013, SMG wrote:

Well, after getting tired of rinsing mine today with the garden hose:

I came up with a seemingly bright idea of soaking the filter in water:

So, I put the little filter inside the big filter in the big bucket:

And I dumped a vitamin-bottle-full of laundry detergent inside:

Then I proceeded to attempt to fill the can with the garden hose:

However, my bright idea of soaking the filter had this fatal flaw:

So now I'm trying to figure out what is big enough to hold that huge pool filter so that I can soak it for a day or so in laundry detergent.
On Thu, 16 May 2013 07:49:47 -0700, Bob F wrote:

You know, I hadn't thought of that - but it's a great idea!
All it needs to do is work for a day or two while the filter is soaking in the detergent.
Do you think it matters what detergent is used? a) Dawn dish detergent ? b) Laundry detergent ? c) Trisodium phosphate ?
PS: I never understood TSP. Isn't is the same thing as laundry detergent?
Some people use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate instead.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/product.aspx?productid=SKU19130&scode=SOCIBLOG&e13=Y&pcode 8

I use one of those cheap 1600 PSI pressure cleaners with the nozzle opened up all the way. It seems to do a good job without tearing up the filter too bad. If you are careful you can use a real pressure cleaner but don't get too close. It is easiest if you drive a stake (EMT or something) in the ground to hold up the filter and put a piece of 2x4 under one side to let the water out.
On Thu, 16 May 2013 05:35:40 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

In the original picture, you can see the torn up band around the filter - which is from the pressure washer.
The pressure washer works - but you can tear a hole in concrete with that thing if you're not careful.

First- You need to point your hose at a 45degree angle to the pleats- from top to bottom.
I've been using 2-3 pleated filters in the hot tub and rotating them. I take one out- and put it in to soak- http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Power-Soak-Filter-Cleaner-P779C57.aspx
It says overnight. I've left them for a week with no ill effects. My filters are several years old.
When I get to it, I rinse them off good [in *my* slop sink<g>]- and set to dry.
I just use a good hose nozzle and pressure.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/product.aspx?productid=SKU19130&scode=SOCIBLOG&e13=Y&pcode 8

I would spend the money on a sand filter with ability to backwash--- or at least get a pleated setup that backwashes.
If you've got a truck or trailer- watch craigslist for a pool someone wants removed. I've dismantled 3 for the tin- 2 had working sand filters. all free.
Jim

I was thinking the same thing, but would go with a DE. I wouldn't put up with having to go through all that with a cartridge. Plus I would expect the cost of the cartridges to be equal to or more than the cost of buying the DE and DE does a much better job of filtering. It sounds like his pool is a higher end one with spa, cleaner, automatic cover, etc. Around here, even on more basic pools, they almost all are using DE now. Perhaps another sign of the installers incompetence....... cartridge filter. Also, it seems
On 5/16/2013 8:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I have a DE setup. They need cleaning too. I have a round waste basket filled with muriatic acid that I soak the filter's finger assembly in. Cleaning the DE filters with a hose requires a lot of patience since its hard to get the hose spray into the center fingers. One year my wife decided I should disassemble the filter and pull all the 'socks' off the fingers so she could throw the socks in the washing machine. It worked, but was too time consuming.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Orange flavoring.<g> It smells good enough to drink.
The ingredient list isn't real enlightening- "sodium carbonate, sodium silicate and enzymes"
I suspect the enzymes are the key-- Kind of covers a lot of ground.
I also think that the little note "keep a clean dry spare filter on hand" on the bottle is not just to save time. It makes sense to me that the particulate washes off-- but all the stuff that tries to grow in a tub or pool will die if dried out.
I used to rotate 3- but I've been using 2 for a couple years now. [I swap filters every few weeks in a hot tub that gets used by one person daily- and 4-5 once a week or so.]
Jim
On Thu, 16 May 2013 12:13:52 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My filters are around $750 or $800, I'm told, so keeping a spare lying around might get expensive. :)
On 5/15/2013 11:11 PM, Danny D wrote:

i have a small one of these on my ocean clear filter for my marine fish tank. i rotate 2 in use. when i pull one, it's really slimy, so i just use my hose to knock off most of that, and then soak for a day in a light bleach solution. leave it in the sun for another day, and put it back on the shelf looking like new.