Do those pool filter pleat brushes actually work? (Have you ever used one?)

Every time I clean the filters, I wish I there was a better method:

I don't know if these nice filter pleat brushes actually work:

etc.

Have you ever tried them? Do they work any better than a garden hose? (Mine is about 60 PSI last I checked.)

Danny D

Some people soak them in a bucket of tetrasodium phosphor detergents (tsp).

Reply to
SMG

Well, after getting tired of rinsing mine today with the garden hose:

I came up with a seemingly bright idea of soaking the filter in water:

So, I put the little filter inside the big filter in the big bucket:

And I dumped a vitamin-bottle-full of laundry detergent inside:

Then I proceeded to attempt to fill the can with the garden hose:

However, my bright idea of soaking the filter had this fatal flaw:

So now I'm trying to figure out what is big enough to hold that huge pool filter so that I can soak it for a day or so in laundry detergent.

Reply to
Danny D

I use one of those cheap 1600 PSI pressure cleaners with the nozzle opened up all the way. It seems to do a good job without tearing up the filter too bad. If you are careful you can use a real pressure cleaner but don't get too close. It is easiest if you drive a stake (EMT or something) in the ground to hold up the filter and put a piece of 2x4 under one side to let the water out.

Reply to
gfretwell

Some people use

instead.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First- You need to point your hose at a 45degree angle to the pleats- from top to bottom.

I've been using 2-3 pleated filters in the hot tub and rotating them. I take one out- and put it in to soak-

It says overnight. I've left them for a week with no ill effects. My filters are several years old.

When I get to it, I rinse them off good [in *my* slop sink]- and set to dry.

I just use a good hose nozzle and pressure.

I would spend the money on a sand filter with ability to backwash--- or at least get a pleated setup that backwashes.

If you've got a truck or trailer- watch craigslist for a pool someone wants removed. I've dismantled 3 for the tin- 2 had working sand filters. all free.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I was thinking the same thing, but would go with a DE. I wouldn't put up with having to go through all that with a cartridge. Plus I would expect the cost of the cartridges to be equal to or more than the cost of buying the DE and DE does a much better job of filtering. It sounds like his pool is a higher end one with spa, cleaner, automatic cover, etc. Around here, even on more basic pools, they almost all are using DE now. Perhaps another sign of the installers incompetence....... cartridge filter. Also, it seems

Reply to
trader4

In the original picture, you can see the torn up band around the filter - which is from the pressure washer.

The pressure washer works - but you can tear a hole in concrete with that thing if you're not careful.

Reply to
Danny D

Orange flavoring. It smells good enough to drink.

The ingredient list isn't real enlightening- "sodium carbonate, sodium silicate and enzymes"

I suspect the enzymes are the key-- Kind of covers a lot of ground.

I also think that the little note "keep a clean dry spare filter on hand" on the bottle is not just to save time. It makes sense to me that the particulate washes off-- but all the stuff that tries to grow in a tub or pool will die if dried out.

I used to rotate 3- but I've been using 2 for a couple years now. [I swap filters every few weeks in a hot tub that gets used by one person daily- and 4-5 once a week or so.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

i have a small one of these on my ocean clear filter for my marine fish tank. i rotate 2 in use. when i pull one, it's really slimy, so i just use my hose to knock off most of that, and then soak for a day in a light bleach solution. leave it in the sun for another day, and put it back on the shelf looking like new.

Reply to
chaniarts

soak-

I have a DE setup. They need cleaning too. I have a round waste basket filled with muriatic acid that I soak the filter's finger assembly in. Cleaning the DE filters with a hose requires a lot of patience since its hard to get the hose spray into the center fingers. One year my wife decided I should disassemble the filter and pull all the 'socks' off the fingers so she could throw the socks in the washing machine. It worked, but was too time consuming.

Reply to
willshak

You know, I hadn't thought of that - but it's a great idea!

All it needs to do is work for a day or two while the filter is soaking in the detergent.

Do you think it matters what detergent is used? a) Dawn dish detergent ? b) Laundry detergent ? c) Trisodium phosphate ?

PS: I never understood TSP. Isn't is the same thing as laundry detergent?

Reply to
Danny D.

My filters are around $750 or $800, I'm told, so keeping a spare lying around might get expensive. :)

Reply to
Danny D.