Do they still make these room ACs?

A friend had a window AC he really liked, designed so that the window closed to an inch or an inch and a half from where it would close without the AC.
He said that most of the noise was on the other side of the window, so it was quiet.
Do they still make this design? It's sounds like a good one.
It either broke, or he moved and had to leave it behind. I'm not actually looking to buy one, and neither is he, I think.

probably a split system very pricey and thus not popular
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:49:30 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

What does split mean? This was just like other window ACs, except that the tubes between the condensor and evaporator were all the way on the bottom, so the window could be shut almost all the way. Is that all that split means, or is there more?

http://www.air-conditioners-america.com/category.asp?subcat=SplitAC&gclid=CP3epKbPw4wCFR4zgQodLRGZWg

Thanks. If these are splits, then what I was talking about was not a split. Each webpage for one of these says:

No holes in walls needed.

Don't need a contractor for the one my friend had. Just open the window and install it like any other window AC. Then shut the window most of the way.

Nope, nope, nope.

No risks of leakage, shock, fire, or explosion, any more than any other window AC. His may have run on 110v also. He lived in an apartment, and I doubt they ever put in a dedicated circuit.
ISTM the small amount of parts rearranging of the parts, so the lines are at the bottom of the box, should have added very little to the cost, but a lot to the desireability. But I don't know how much he actually paid.
I guess they don't make them anymore. Oh, well.
Thanks to both of you.

Frigidaire Vista series. They never made all that many of them. AFAIK, it has not been made for a number or years. My company used to supply a part for them but we've not made it in over 8 years now. It was not a big seller.

Thanks.
They must have replaced it with the new version of Windows.

was going to break in half when I'd pick it up to put it in the window.
I'd love to have one of these, but I had confirmned last year that they had stopped making them long ago. I thought thet they were made by Panasonic though. Great idea to keep the noise out there, but I guess when you can buy a noisey Haier at Wal Mart for $100 nobody would pay $300 for a Panasonic. These are not mini-split systems, but ones that hung from the window.
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:07:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've been looking for a code-a-phone answering machine on Ebay, and it seems code-a-phone was made by at least 4 companies over the years. In that case the brand didn't change, but maybe the model was sold from Frigidaire to Panasonic.
Frankly, when my friend got this one, I don't think Panasonic made anything but radios. About 1965 or 75, I think.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

big box marketing they think that the low price item is just as good as the better version.
There is an amazing difference in noise level between a Walmart airconditioner and a better version. I have a Emerson quiet cool that I bought from a local appliance store. The shell looks exactly the same as the Walmart version. My unit has a scroll compressor and a different fan motor. It is much quieter than the Walmart version and uses 20% less power.
I paid ~ $40 more for my unit. I wanted the Panasonic but I couldn't find it at the time because it was summer and I was replacing a old A/C.
I am also wondering if you could just buy a small mini-split system and using some hardware, make your own hanging window A/C? I mean why couldn't you? I'd make something (maybe out of wood) to hang the stuff from and for the window opening and have a nice shelf by my window on the inside.
Lookup something called a "portable split air conditioner" which is probably the closest thing that you are going to find.