Do they make shallow base cabinets?

I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go? Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I had to go with a more expensive option.

Reply to
Joe

You should be able to order the depth you need. If not it would be easy to cut the back off a regular depth cabinet.

Reply to
Pat

On Fri 08 Jul 2005 10:20:21p, Pat wrote in alt.home.repair:

Some stock cabinets come in 12" depth as well as 16" or 18", I'm not sure which.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

As standard 30" tall wall cabinet can be set on a 4 1/2" tall base and it should be the same height as a standard base cabinet.

This will give you a 12" deep base cabinet.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Reply to
Art Todesco

A custom cabinet maker can make you any size you want.

Stock options include those mentioned by others of using a 30" stock wall and adding a toekick/base. I have actually done this on three different projects and pleased each time.

One other option in a stock cabinet is to try and locate some made for mobile homes. They are made in a 20 or 21" depth.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

browsing throught the American Woodmark catalog I see that most of the base cabinets can be ordered as reduced depth. Unfortunately I don't see any details jumping out at me as to what depths are available. I would assume 18" and possibly 12". Why not get on the phone to some cabinet suppliers and see what they offer?

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

There are little triangle shaped shelf units, and using one on the end of a row of standard cabinets might make the taper fit your situation.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
nospambob

counter top space because

into the backyard. The

add some counter-top

base cabinet along the

lip of the door jam of

sense?). Are there

shallow do they go?

say, 16" deep. This

bearing wall, but I

living room behind it if I

Buy upper cabinets and have a countertop made.

Reply to
Kathy

Reply to
Dean Swinger

replying to Joe, Charles Lyons wrote:

Charles Lyons

Is there any chance that Joe is still waiting after *eleven years* for your cabinet source?

Why don't you homeownershub people read DATES?

Reply to
Sam Hill

replying to Sam Hill, FatBat wrote: Some other people still search these posts years later for the same information, so a *relevant post* never hurts, no matter how late it is. What's worse is some jerk like you who bothers to post something years later just to be an ass...so I'll oblige and do the same.

Reply to
FatBat

replying to FatBat, Katie Belmont wrote: Exactly, this is the second result on google when I searched "Shallow Cabinet Base," only being preceded by Ikea, which sells 15" deep base cabinets.

Reply to
Katie Belmont

replying to FatBat, Jwillgsr40 wrote: I agree Fat Bat! I am on here today 6/9/2017 looking for answers!

Reply to
Jwillgsr40

replying to Pat, Bish wrote: Hold on there Pat. A much easier method to achieve a shallow base cabinet is to use wall cabinets (smallest is 12" deep) sitting on a 2x4 stud base. Then you can have 12", 15" and 18" shallow base cabinets in those tight spaces that Joe has. I see these posts are from 14 years ago so hopefully you found out about my solution!

Reply to
Bish

That's only if you don't have drawers. Making a base cabinet shallower it's relatively easy without drawers. With drawers it's very difficult.

Reply to
Tammy

Some replied with 12, 16 or 18 inch deep cabinets. That's only wall cabinet depth. The question was for base cabinet depth.

Reply to
Tammy

Are you talking shallow as in front to back measurement , or are you talking short as in not as tall ? Neither would be a problem for a cabinet maker or a skilled carpenter . Oh , and 18" is a standard depth for bathroom vanity cabinets , though they are usually 18 1/2 inches tall rather than the standard 34 1/2" for kitchen base cabinets . Do some research ! Google might be your friend , but startpage.com won't rat you out to The Man .

Reply to
Snag