Do they make Outdoor GFI outlets

Page 1 of 2
I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight. I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones), and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since they are properly sealed.
Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?
Thanks
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:20:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

breaker on to make sure the thing is bad.

My Leviton-made outdoor GFIs (with cover plates) are still functional after at least 18 Canadian winters.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:20:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Maybe you just need a better brand? I have two. One is over 15 years old, the other about 10 years.
Also, try resetting with the breaker on. I somehow think that matters, but I"m not positive.

I'm not sure what brand(s) I have used. Normally I get what is priced in the middle.
I've tried the reset both ways, it wont push, and of course there is not power. Changing stuff like that in cold weather is a major pain. You cant do it with gloves on, and without, the hands freeze and you cant feel the screws....
This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.
As I understand, most GFI have a "down stream" connection, so you can protect outlets farther from the GFI outlet. Perhaps you can put the GFI in the building, closer to the circuit breaker panel. The stock tank can be down stream from the GFI.
This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.
I don't know if this makes sense, but can you put the GFI on a pole, near the top. Hang a bucket upside down over the GFI? Like farmers do with tractor exhaust.
This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:24:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Actually I hung a bird house above the outlet on that pole. I planned to just attach a piece of wood, until I got the idea to use the bird house, which needed a place to go anyhow. The bird house diverted the water away from the outlet box.
Per snipped-for-privacy@home.com:

Can anybody comment on the possibility of replacing the breakers that serve those outlets with a GFI breaker?
--
Pete Cresswell

Yes, you can do that.
Last I checked, GFCI breakers are MUCH more expensive than GFCI sockets.
Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and put ordinary sockets "downstream" which will be protected?
Can anybody comment on the possibility of replacing the breakers that serve those outlets with a GFI breaker?
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:37:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

True, but having to replace GFCI outlets every year or so would get old fast. It would be well worth it to spring for the breaker.

That's what I generally do when I'm installing new ones. It's a bit harder with existing wiring.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:37:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Yea, the breakers are more costly. I have several of the GFIs indoors that feed the outdoor outlets, but my current one is out in a field, mounted to a farm power pole. Just a single breaker in a box, fed off overhead triplex from the farm's main, and that GFI is under that box. I am considering a GFI breaker for this one, as another option, since all it does is provide an outlet for a stock tank heater.
Sounds like you don't have a lot of choices to work with. Well, please keep us posted (not funny, Chris.... POSTed?) and we can learn also.

Yea, the breakers are more costly. I have several of the GFIs indoors that feed the outdoor outlets, but my current one is out in a field, mounted to a farm power pole. Just a single breaker in a box, fed off overhead triplex from the farm's main, and that GFI is under that box. I am considering a GFI breaker for this one, as another option, since all it does is provide an outlet for a stock tank heater.

*Yes they are called "Weather Resistant" and have a "WR" on the face. Most likely water is getting inside somewhere and causing the GFI outlet to fail prematurely. Do you have a bubble cover or a regular flat cover over this GFI? A bubble cover is better with cords that remain plugged in for long periods.
Mine work just fine- there are various covers, and the newest ones allow you to leave cords plugged in, even if it's raining (the cover stays closed and the cord comes out the bottom of the box.
Maybe water is getting in from behind? That is, it gets behind the wall above the box, and then just drips down?
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 07:54:38 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

the cord comes out the bottom of the box.

I wish they made those "bubble covers" out of metal. I've seen those plastic ones and I bet they dont last long when exposed to hot sun, ice, snow, and other weather extremes. Of course these days, everything is plastic....
On 12/24/12 7:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

There are probably others but I didn't spend much time looking.
Electrically conductive safety outlet cover? Just doesn't seem right, y'know?

There are probably others but I didn't spend much time looking.
On 12/24/12 7:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

four attachment screws are considered adequate.