Do they make Outdoor GFI outlets

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight. I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones), and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

Reply to
homeowner

FYI. Many new one can't be reset with the breaker off. So, turn the breaker on to make sure the thing is bad.

Reply to
Pat

Maybe you just need a better brand? I have two. One is over 15 years old, the other about 10 years.

Also, try resetting with the breaker on. I somehow think that matters, but I"m not positive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Per snipped-for-privacy@home.com:

Can anybody comment on the possibility of replacing the breakers that serve those outlets with a GFI breaker?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

*Yes they are called "Weather Resistant" and have a "WR" on the face. Most likely water is getting inside somewhere and causing the GFI outlet to fail prematurely. Do you have a bubble cover or a regular flat cover over this GFI? A bubble cover is better with cords that remain plugged in for long periods.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Mine work just fine- there are various covers, and the newest ones allow you to leave cords plugged in, even if it's raining (the cover stays closed and the cord comes out the bottom of the box.

Maybe water is getting in from behind? That is, it gets behind the wall above the box, and then just drips down?

Reply to
missingchild

For about 10 years, I've had several GFCI-protected outlets in my yard and on the outside of my house. Only one has failed. They're mounted in standard boxes (the ones in the yard are weatherproof boxes on a ground stake). But instead of a cover plate, there's a sturdybox (clear polycarbonate) with a hinged cover to protect the plug and GFCI from snow and rain. All outlets are used fairly often for yard tools, holiday lights, gutter heaters, etc. so I don't see that outdoor use causes failures. And, I agree with the other posters. You have to have the power on to test or reset the GFCI.

Tomsic

Reply to
.-.

My Leviton-made outdoor GFIs (with cover plates) are still functional after at least 18 Canadian winters.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Yes, you can do that.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Same thing here. Outdoors they don't last long.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Last I checked, GFCI breakers are MUCH more expensive than GFCI sockets.

Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and put ordinary sockets "downstream" which will be protected?

.

Can anybody comment on the possibility of replacing the breakers that serve those outlets with a GFI breaker?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Noahbuddy has brought this to us :

Had an idustrial situation where no matter what we did with silicone etc, it would get water in the box and eventually something would arc over. Left a bolt out of the bottom of the box and had no more trouble because instead of th water steaming into every nook and cranny, it just drained out the bottom.

Reply to
John G

True, but having to replace GFCI outlets every year or so would get old fast. It would be well worth it to spring for the breaker.

That's what I generally do when I'm installing new ones. It's a bit harder with existing wiring.

Reply to
krw

Sounds like condensation - it's often a good idea to have a tiny[1] hole in the lowest point of conduit runs or fittings.

[1] Tiny enough so it is not a hazard and also not to allow all and sundry from the bug world in. However, not so advisable if the fitting is likely to be subject to strong jets of water, eg hoses or pressure washers.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm not sure what brand(s) I have used. Normally I get what is priced in the middle.

I've tried the reset both ways, it wont push, and of course there is not power. Changing stuff like that in cold weather is a major pain. You cant do it with gloves on, and without, the hands freeze and you cant feel the screws....

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.

Reply to
homeowner

Yea, the breakers are more costly. I have several of the GFIs indoors that feed the outdoor outlets, but my current one is out in a field, mounted to a farm power pole. Just a single breaker in a box, fed off overhead triplex from the farm's main, and that GFI is under that box. I am considering a GFI breaker for this one, as another option, since all it does is provide an outlet for a stock tank heater.

Reply to
homeowner

Ok. so they do make them... Thanks This is just the common flat cover. It's only used in winter, so the door on the cover is open, but in the warm weather the cover is closed, which is when rain could get in. I suspect that water gets under that door on the cover and gets in around those push buttons on the GFI. That's all I can think.

Maybe for this application, I will buy a GFI breaker, or as I mentioned earlier, just use a portable cord type GFI. Having to keep replacing them is costly and a big pain in the ass during the winter, which is the only time I use this particular outlet.

Reply to
homeowner

As I understand, most GFI have a "down stream" connection, so you can protect outlets farther from the GFI outlet. Perhaps you can put the GFI in the building, closer to the circuit breaker panel. The stock tank can be down stream from the GFI.

.

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know if this makes sense, but can you put the GFI on a pole, near the top. Hang a bucket upside down over the GFI? Like farmers do with tractor exhaust.

.

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you don't have a lot of choices to work with. Well, please keep us posted (not funny, Chris.... POSTed?) and we can learn also.

.