Do they make bottle jacks to use horizontally?

Page 2 of 2

I noticed that too.... I'd like to see someone try to use a floor jack on it's side.....

Agreed...... They all do look the same.
Like I said, none of them I've seen in the stores ever mention the position they are made to be used. Those intended for horizontal use should say so. Those intended for vertical use should say "verticle use only".
(I doubt these verticle ones would work upside down either).

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:11:33 -0500, fred.flintstone wrote:

I've used good ol' hand-wound scissor jacks for that kind of thing in the past, so long as the force needed isn't that great (i.e. less than or equivalent to raising whatever vehicle the jack came from :-)
cheers
Jules
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Can you face the handle down--- or at least to the side?
If not, use a screw jack, a scissor jack, or go whole hog and get one of these- http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-heavy-duty-portable-hydraulic-equipment-kit-44899.html

I'd grab my 6' pry bar somebody made from an old car axle and have the shed moved a foot before you got the jack in place.
-snip-

I have a 3/4" hard bolt about 18" long that I've used more than once to push things apart.
Jim

You wanna explain how to do this?
Ok, the head goes against one object. All you got on the other side is the nut, and that dont leave much surface to push against anything.
I used to work for a flooring guy who had several half inch bolts, (or 5/8") from 2 inches to about 5 inches long. When he had to lift one of those old heavy cast iron steam heating radiators, he found the closest bolt that would fit under the radiator, and screw the nut to the end of the threads to lift the radiator 1/4 inch to push new linoleum under the legs. But that was only a quarter inch of lift, and more than once he went beyond the threads and had the radiator fall off the bolt. Luckily he never got his fingers smashed (that I know of).
I used to think "why dont they make a real short bottle jack for that sort of thing"?
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:15:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

That bolt has been kicking around in my garage for 30 years. it's got 4 nuts on it. I've made an assortment of 'attachments' over the years. Most are made from pieces of angle iron-- one involved some 1/2" plate and a 12" bolt. [and after looking at Oren's link- I'm threading a pipe nipple onto it for storage]
As luck/age would have it, I can picture the thing on the bench in the garage and all the iron bits hanging off of it--- but darned if my grey matter will give up a single time I actually used it. I *know* I have-- just can't remember what for.
It would probably all be prettier if I could weld-- but gravity and friction hold it together.

A coupling nut would get him almost 2" of lift/push. I've used a crossbuckle nut to 'push' things apart. Sky's the limit with those guys.

You can carry a bolt in your pocket-- porta-power calls for *big* pockets.
Jim
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8158297/Bottle-Jacks/12-Ton-Horizontal/Vertical-Bottle-Jack

Now you gave away where I learned how.<g>
Jim

Which take two people to operate, one to use the lever, the other to do whatever needs doing. even if it is only to shove a block under to hold the load up.
Harry K
On 8/8/12 2:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I've used what look like regular bottle jacks sideways without any problem. It's automatic for me to put the handle side down. I had no idea there were special ones for horizontal use.

Yep. As long as the pump side is down they will work. Some of them you don't even have to have the pump down.
Harry K
On 8/8/2012 2:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

There is such an animal and I haven't seen it mentioned except in one post. You are looking for a Portopower jack. Comes with various heads for various things. I use them all the time.
http://www.toolprice.com/category/hydraulictools.portapowerkit /
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
On Aug 8, 3:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I haven't read the whole thread, but the keyword you want to search for is "porta-power."
nate

Enerpac is one of the common mfrs of this type of equipment.
Very versatile & powerful.... they run on hydraulic pump (hand or electric) with pressures up to 10,000 psi.
http://www.enerpac.com/en/industrial-tools/hydraulic-cylinders-jacks-lifting-products-and-systems
cheers Bob
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 3:11:33 AM UTC+8, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

We call em' "Porta-power" units in Austraia,..cylinder/ram that can be used in any position connected to jack/pump unit by flexible hose. Awesome bit of kit.
(Yes, I know the original query is from 2012...)

I've done exactly this using my car's "scissors jack". Moved the item a foot or so, put in some wooden spacer blocks, moved it another foot. Rinse, lather, repeat. .

I'm wondering why the OP didn't turn the jack piston side down. They work fine. That might've been one of the first tricks I learned back in days of yore.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 06:40:10 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

This thread is 3 years old, but I have had this problem too. What do you means to put the piston side down? They bottom of the piston is in the base, but in that case you're no longer using the jack horizontal. In a horizontal position, no matter which way you turn it, it seems to me that it's the same. The only difference is the part you move to pump it. Are you saying that part should be "down"? I guess I dont understand you....

Rotate this one 90 degrees clockwise. http://alturl.com/2phyo (Bing image) Somewhere on the side of the big part is the fill plug. I've never seen one leak when used sideways though.