Do they make bottle jacks to use horizontally? (2024 Update)

I don't like what google does to tablets display. I usually use yahoo, and their results are much like many of the other search engines. Overall, google has better image search, but yahoos is much better than it used to be. I don't know how engines compare, looking at crap ehow, and other copy cat advertiser answer boards. I hate those.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There is such an animal and I haven't seen it mentioned except in one post. You are looking for a Portopower jack. Comes with various heads for various things. I use them all the time.

Robert Allison

My understanding from my old man (he used to run a 'hydraulic and small engine shop) is tht a bottle jack will run horizontally but only in one position. I would assume, if true, the position wouild be with the pump on the bottom.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes, but they all seem to be special purpose from a quick google :). Try search string:

reverse force clamp

I don't understand the "anti google" bit. All I get when I use it is either one "google" advert at top and the search field, or no advert at all, jsut a blank page with the search field.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks. I knew I had seen the HF one somewhere.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You wanna explain how to do this?

Ok, the head goes against one object. All you got on the other side is the nut, and that dont leave much surface to push against anything.

I used to work for a flooring guy who had several half inch bolts, (or

5/8") from 2 inches to about 5 inches long. When he had to lift one of those old heavy cast iron steam heating radiators, he found the closest bolt that would fit under the radiator, and screw the nut to the end of the threads to lift the radiator 1/4 inch to push new linoleum under the legs. But that was only a quarter inch of lift, and more than once he went beyond the threads and had the radiator fall off the bolt. Luckily he never got his fingers smashed (that I know of).

I used to think "why dont they make a real short bottle jack for that sort of thing"?

Reply to
fred.flintstone

ond thought to using bottle jacks in any position,

Yep. As long as the pump side is down they will work. Some of them you don't even have to have the pump down.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That bolt has been kicking around in my garage for 30 years. it's got

4 nuts on it. I've made an assortment of 'attachments' over the years. Most are made from pieces of angle iron-- one involved some 1/2" plate and a 12" bolt. [and after looking at Oren's link- I'm threading a pipe nipple onto it for storage]

As luck/age would have it, I can picture the thing on the bench in the garage and all the iron bits hanging off of it--- but darned if my grey matter will give up a single time I actually used it. I *know* I have-- just can't remember what for.

It would probably all be prettier if I could weld-- but gravity and friction hold it together.

A coupling nut would get him almost 2" of lift/push. I've used a crossbuckle nut to 'push' things apart. Sky's the limit with those guys.

You can carry a bolt in your pocket-- porta-power calls for *big* pockets.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Now you gave away where I learned how.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I haven't read the whole thread, but the keyword you want to search for is "porta-power."

nate

Reply to
N8N

Which take two people to operate, one to use the lever, the other to do whatever needs doing. even if it is only to shove a block under to hold the load up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ray

Enerpac is one of the common mfrs of this type of equipment.

Very versatile & powerful.... they run on hydraulic pump (hand or electric) with pressures up to 10,000 psi.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

We call em' "Porta-power" units in Austraia,..cylinder/ram that can be used in any position connected to jack/pump unit by flexible hose. Awesome bit of kit.

Reply to
peterarobertson75

I've done exactly this using my car's "scissors jack". Moved the item a foot or so, put in some wooden spacer blocks, moved it another foot. Rinse, lather, repeat. .

Reply to
danny burstein

I'm wondering why the OP didn't turn the jack piston side down. They work fine. That might've been one of the first tricks I learned back in days of yore.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This thread is 3 years old, but I have had this problem too. What do you means to put the piston side down? They bottom of the piston is in the base, but in that case you're no longer using the jack horizontal. In a horizontal position, no matter which way you turn it, it seems to me that it's the same. The only difference is the part you move to pump it. Are you saying that part should be "down"? I guess I dont understand you....

Reply to
RealPerson

Yep, you have it. Put the part you move to pump it down. Rotate this one 90 degrees clockwise.

(Bing image) Somewhere on the side of the big part is the fill plug. I've never seen one leak when used sideways though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman