Do they make bottle jacks to use horizontally?

Page 1 of 2
I never gave a second thought to using bottle jacks in any position, until I tried to use one on it's side, in other words, jack something horizontally. The jack did not function. I grabbed another jack and found the same problem. I researched this, and found that these jacks are not meant to be used on their sides, and learned the reason, which is all because the fluid must be on the bottom to operate.
Now that I fully understand how these jacks work and their limitations, I'm still looking for something to move heavy objects on a horizontal plane. These uses may be to move a small shed a foot back, because that once small tree has grown large and is touching the overhang. Quite recently I was putting plywood sheets in an attic and laid down 8 or 9 sheets, only to discover that they should have gone a few more inches toward the rear of the house. They were not nailed, so they could still be moved. The thought of putting a jack against the front rafters and moving all the sheets at once came to mind, but I knew that was not possible due to the limitations of these jacks. Therefore, what could have been a simple task to jack these sheets over by 3 inches, meant moving each sheet by hand one at a time.
Having dont lots of building of darn near everything over the years, I've seen a need for some sort of jacks, as well as clamps and other devices to move large or heavy objects on a horizontal plane. Yet, there is nothing made to do this. Bottle jacks dont work on their side, C-clamps, and Pony clamps all tighten INWARD. Of all the tools onm the market, there seems to be nothing made to move heavy objects OUTWARD.
If you're erecting a wall, and the wall is a little off the floor on one end, a C-clamp or other clamp will pull it inward. But to move it outward, your only method is to use a big hammer (which in some cases is not possible, such as the plywood attic floor).
Yes, there is the "come along". That tool will work in some places with a large open area behind it, but it wont work to move a plywood attic floor or even a shed if there is nothing to attach it to.
Am I the only person on Earth who seems to need a jack or other tool to move heavy objects on a horizontal plane, or have the tool designers just neglected to design such tools?
What is needed, is a small and short bottle jack that works on it's side, as well as a C-clamp that clamps OUTWARD. And probably more tools that work simularly.....
Google is your friend.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-66480.html
On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:36:01 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

God I wish people would stop saying this...... Google might have been a friend 10 years ago. Today google is one of the most corrupt companies on the internet.
Anyhow, thanks for the link!

Agreed!!!!!
I tried Ebay. That was a bigger joke. 90% of what I found was Jack Daniels bottles!!!!
Like you, I dont care to waste my time searching thru piles of online rubbish, and for that matter, I'd prefer to avoid shopping online. Yet, I have not found any jacks that say "horizontal use" in the local big box or hardware stores.
And while we're at it. I'm still looking for the other kind of tool. A C-clamp or any type of clamp that clamps OUTWARD. In some cases, a bottle jack is just not feasible to use. Why is it that all clamps are made to clamp inward?
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Harbor Freight is your friend.
12" Ratching Bar Clamp/Spreader http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-ratchet-bar-clamp-spreader-46807.html
For bigger stuff, an old fashioned, ratching, bumper jack should move things along nicely.
The "Jaws of Life" kit probably has attachements that would work, too.

Thanks. I knew I had seen the HF one somewhere.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

They aren't. It isn't hard to find a clamp that spreads.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=spread%20cla&cp &gs_id&xhr=t&q=spread+clamp&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&oq=spread+clamp&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fpcf5e5168ad01ee&biw7&bihP6
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Aug 8, 5:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

So now we have the guy who had to come here asking about a bottle jack that would work sideways calling me a moron. And I'm the one that found him the bottle jack in 10 seconds on Google and provided the first reply solving his problem. So much for thanks.
As for Steve B:
" I googled horizontal jack, and it is like being hit by a haystack. A ton of worthless crap that one has to sift through to find just what it is one is looking for. I just posted a post asking the question if a jack that works in the horizontal position looks anything different than a regular one. I looked at about ten sites, and I could not find one that had that tidbit of information. I'm busy. I don't want to sift hay for an hour. I like having a forum where one can ask a common question, and then not get smart assed remarks, just the facts. "
I used google and found the jack at harbor freight in about 10 seconds. So, I'd say the problem isn't google. It's just that google is too sophisticated a tool for Steve. And then you have to love this from him too:
" I like having a forum where one can ask a common question, and then not get smart assed remarks, just the facts. "
I provided the facts. I found a bottle jack that works horizontally. Steve is the one in the forum with the smart assed remarks that have nothing to do with the question.
Who's the moron now, moron?

On Aug 8, 2:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Yes, but they all seem to be special purpose from a quick google :). Try search string:
reverse force clamp
I don't understand the "anti google" bit. All I get when I use it is either one "google" advert at top and the search field, or no advert at all, jsut a blank page with the search field.
Harry K
Steve B wrote:

Be more specific in your search terms and you'll get better results. The phrase "horizontal bottle jack" gets numerous useful links on the first page. IOW, "user error" :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I don't use Google unless there is no alternative. I don't view BING any differently.

I use search.com but it does give "sponsored results".

I don't like what google does to tablets display. I usually use yahoo, and their results are much like many of the other search engines. Overall, google has better image search, but yahoos is much better than it used to be. I don't know how engines compare, looking at crap ehow, and other copy cat advertiser answer boards. I hate those.
Greg
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

duckduckgo is your new best friend
http://duckduckgo.com /
--
PV

"If Inflammable means more flammable, then what does incompetent mean?'

My understanding from my old man (he used to run a 'hydraulic and small engine shop) is tht a bottle jack will run horizontally but only in one position. I would assume, if true, the position wouild be with the pump on the bottom.
Harry K
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:11:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Hope you are jacking me around ....sorry I couldn't resist. Try this... https://www.google.com/search?q=horizontal+hydraulic+jacks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Were you jacking off when you wrote this? ....sorry I couldn't resist. :)
Thanks for the link!
Cut im some slack, Jack!

Were you jacking off when you wrote this? ....sorry I couldn't resist. :)
Thanks for the link!
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:39:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@unisys.com (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:

Damn, I should have posted this when I was struggling with that attic floor plywood. A scissors jack would have worked for that, and I know there's at least one of them laying around in my garage.
Glad I saved your bottle jack! Most of the standard ones will not work on their side. It's because the fluid must be at the bottom in order to go into the valves and ports inside of them, which do the lifting. I dont recall ever seeing anything on the instructions about this. I bet lots of jacks have gone to the trash because not many people know this.....

Look to the automotive repair industry. You know, fer pushing a fender back out after it's been crumpled in. Hydrualic jacks that work in any position are the backbone of that trade. Look for "ram" instead of "jack".
nb
--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"