Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

Page 3 of 3

<...snipped...>

A small 3-corner file will do it.

Steel wool has always worked for me.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:47:39 -0400, h wrote:

The threads are dinged up so the file might work; but the steel wool will only remove the oxidation.
I was hoping to find a source for a GHT tap/die set or a thread file source for the 11.5 TPI pitch.
Brent wrote:

Well you CAN buy a GHT tap here, if you're a zillionare and don't care what you pay for things:
http://tinyurl.com/2wv9x3t
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Crikey! I wonder what they get for a die?
Steve

I'd cut off the old fittings and replace them with new ones. The guy at OSH should have explained this, as they have about a half dozen styles. Everything from cheapo plastic fittings that require only a screw driver to more elaborate commercial types which require a tool to crimp a permenent steel band around a barbed brass fitting. IOW, if the hose is worth saving, toss the old fittings for new ones ...unless you want to hang the old ones on the wall in your den and admire them.
nb
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:07:59 GMT, notbob wrote:

It looks like a tap and die don't exist at a reasonable price for 3/4 inch diameter, 11.5 threads per inch or 12 threads per inch (i.e., less than say $25 or $30 bucks).
It looks like a thread file doesn't even exist for 11.5 threads per inch or for 12 threads per inch.
Therefore, if the threads are bent and worn, there is apparently no (reasonable) way to clean them up except with a small triangular hand file.
There is no ready-made purpose-built solution other than to replace the ends.
Bummer. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced tap and die or thread file that fits the garden hose thread (GHT).
:(
Brent wrote the following:

Wire brush.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:45:10 -0400, willshak wrote:

In summary, there is no specific cost-effective tool to clean up brass garden hose threads.
Most people use a wire brush and/or a triangular file to clean up dirty and/or buggered threads respectively.
There is a rather expensive $125 tap (http://tinyurl.com/2wv9x3t ); but nobody knows of a die for a garden hose thread (GHT ?).
Also, the tap seems to have a "plug" and a "bottom", whatever that means: http://tinyurl.com/38od8p9
The problem in getting a tap and die (besides the cost) is that most people seem to be wrong on the size, which seems to be (if I'm right): Right Hand National Hose thread 3/4" at 11 1/2 TPI NH (but what is "bottom" and "plug")?
Note: I'm not sure what the "NH" means nor what the "Bottom" means nor what "GHT" is since it's not in the specifications and nobody else seems to know much about the threads.
In typed:

Try automotive battery post cleaners; an inside/outside brush device. Works well.
On 08/11/2010 07:35 PM, Twayne wrote:

As a complete aside... a plumber's brush for cleaning up copper 1/2" and 3/4" pipes for soldering is also just the thing for cleaning your typical automotive bulb sockets when they get rusty.
nate
(BTDT on more than one "barn car")
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.