Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

It looks like a tap and die don't exist at a reasonable price for 3/4 inch diameter, 11.5 threads per inch or 12 threads per inch (i.e., less than say $25 or $30 bucks).

It looks like a thread file doesn't even exist for 11.5 threads per inch or for 12 threads per inch.

Therefore, if the threads are bent and worn, there is apparently no (reasonable) way to clean them up except with a small triangular hand file.

There is no ready-made purpose-built solution other than to replace the ends.

Bummer. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced tap and die or thread file that fits the garden hose thread (GHT).

:(

Reply to
Brent

See if you can find a 9/16 x 12 for both internal and external or a

1" x 12 for the external thread.
Reply to
tnom

As it turns out the 2.00 section of my metric thread file is a perfect fit for a hose end.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Shhhhhhhh! Get it together, and then submit it to the OMB for consideration by "The Green Machine". Don't forget to set aside my 15%. And put that it will save one million gallons of water a minute that's currently being wasted. Don't know if that's accurate, but it sure sounds good, don't it?

We need to save the wasted water, by golly! It's an endless loop, but it must be saved.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I have SAE thread files. I'll see if I can find a set of metrics.

Reply to
Brent

Brent wrote the following:

Wire brush.

Reply to
willshak
53358$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

I use the plastic ones all the time and have no problem with them. Granted one of those on the end of a quality hose does look odd but...

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Odd. I have been using them for over 30 years and have nevery had to "fix" any of them unless I boogered it up by cross threading. Never had to tighten one either that was correctly applied originally.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In summary, there is no specific cost-effective tool to clean up brass garden hose threads.

Most people use a wire brush and/or a triangular file to clean up dirty and/or buggered threads respectively.

There is a rather expensive $125 tap

but nobody knows of a die for a garden hose thread (GHT ?).

Also, the tap seems to have a "plug" and a "bottom", whatever that means:

The problem in getting a tap and die (besides the cost) is that most people seem to be wrong on the size, which seems to be (if I'm right): Right Hand National Hose thread 3/4" at 11 1/2 TPI NH (but what is "bottom" and "plug")?

Note: I'm not sure what the "NH" means nor what the "Bottom" means nor what "GHT" is since it's not in the specifications and nobody else seems to know much about the threads.

Reply to
Brent

Try automotive battery post cleaners; an inside/outside brush device. Works well.

Reply to
Twayne

As a complete aside... a plumber's brush for cleaning up copper 1/2" and

3/4" pipes for soldering is also just the thing for cleaning your typical automotive bulb sockets when they get rusty.

nate

(BTDT on more than one "barn car")

Reply to
Nate Nagel