Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

Page 2 of 3

Brent wrote:

If they are machined brass couplings, you can clean them up with a file. If they are the much more common rolled brass couplings filing won't work since the material is too thin. Normally the best route is to purchase quality replacement fittings, cut the old ones off the hose and install the new ones.
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:30:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

I buy the best hose I can find. a. Long (100 feet if possible) b. Rubber (no vinyl!) c. 3/4 inch ID d. SOLID brass fittings
I hate those shiny plated rolled metal fitings; step on them once or drive over them once and they're crushed. The hoses I buy you could drive over with a truck and they'd still be ok.
But, brass is brass. It gets caked up and dinged like crazy. The hose is in good shape but the ends are banged up (I'm rough on 'em, dragging them about all the time).
I think the ideas proposed so far are: a) Triangular file for the male (female is tougher) b) Battery post wire brush c) Replace the end altogether

I like these- Gilmour zinc hose menders- $4-6 http://www.deerso.net/Gilmour-Group-01FZDIB-Do-it-Best/M/B000CSYN1M.htm never dealt with deerso, just the first link I found

It is 3/4 pipe so taps & dies will do it--
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

How can you say that Jim?
3/4" NPT pipe threads are 14 TPI and tapered.
US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Apparent brain fart? I can remember looking for *some* fitting for a particular purpose & asking my hardware guy where he was hiding them. "You can use 3/4 pipe" he said--- and it worked.
Now if I could only remember what *that* was.<g>
Jim
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:28:47 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I can rent (for free when you return it) a set of thread files from AutoZone but I wonder if they'll have a 11.5 threads per inch size?
I doubt it ... but I'll ask them now that I know the thread pitch!
On Aug 4, 1:11pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

You can get thread files. I have a couple. They are square and have a different thread on each side and one each end making 8 different threads on the file.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:37:44 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

Does your thread file set have the pitch for a garden hose? - US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.
On Aug 4, 1:11pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Any reason you don't want to replace the ends?
They have cheap ones and they have goods ones, but even the good ones are cheaper than new hose.
Just curious...

http://www.cicle.org/wordpress/wp-content/files2.jpg
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:13:23 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

AutoZone will rent these thread files for free (once returned). But, I doubt they have 11.5 threads per inch, no taper.
But I'll check just in case as a thread file for GHT (garden hose thread) would be the perfect reusable solution ... if it exists!

Get a set of Nicholson locksmith files, and clean them up manually. Aren't those 3/4" standard threads that would clean up with a run through in a die? I guess it would depend on how boogered up they are, and if the opening was out of round. That's fairly soft stuff, and should clean up easily. Fergeddabout those little flimsy cheapy sheet metal hose connectors. Even plastic is better than those.
Steve
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:11:50 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Either a tap/die or a thread file would work fine. The problem is finding a tap/die or thread file in GHT (garden hose thread) with 11.5 TPI (threads per inch).
I can't find that.
Of course, I could just cut them off and replace them; but the whole point of buying solid brass fittings is long life and it's a shame to waste them for want of cleaning up the threads.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:11:44 +0000 (UTC), Brent

If you want to fix it cheaply just find or borrow any 12 thread per inch tap. Use it as if it was a internal or external thread file.
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:04:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Do you know of any sources for 3/4" GHT at 11.5 TPI taps and dies?
Brent wrote:

I don't think that the difference between 11.5 and 12 TPI would make much of a difference when using the tap as a scraper, there's only a short length of thread anyway.
Jeff (The guy who told you it was 11.5 TPI)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:51:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Assuming a garden hose is 3/4 inch and 11.5 TPI, and assuming a tap for 3/4 inch and 12 TPI would fix it ...
Is the consensus that a 3/4 inch tap and die with a 12 TPI pitch is actually available on the market?
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 00:19:53 +0000 (UTC), Brent

See if you can find a 9/16 x 12 for both internal and external or a 1" x 12 for the external thread.
On Aug 4, 9:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

As it turns out the 2.00 section of my metric thread file is a perfect fit for a hose end.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:28:13 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

I have SAE thread files. I'll see if I can find a set of metrics.