Do they make a 2 hole strap that will support a pipe in a corner

The location we decided on for my new TV dish was on the back patio. I wanted it mounted in the corner where the rails meet at a 90 degree. Do they make a 2 hole pipe/pole strap that will allow you to screw the strap to the inside rail?

-- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

Reply to
Metspitzer

** No, but Thomas and Betts makes a really nice heavy duty steel, one hole pipe strap that holds like crazy. Grainger sells them
Reply to
RBM

What size pipe?

Here is a Simpson Strong-Tie pipe corner bracket but its meant for 2" steel pipe (2-3/8" OD)

If your pipe size is smaller perhaps it might fit inside the 2" pipe and could be secured with screws through the wall of the 2" pipe.

cheers Bob

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Something like this? You could probably find it at a local fence supply store

Mikepier

The oval dishes for hd are pretty heavy and dishes need to be pretty rigid to get the maximum signal. I would be concerned that your location on a deck rail is not solid enough. What about using a regular dish wall mount on the side of your deck? Do you need the elevation at the rail to get over something?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That looks like it would work perfect. I would guess the pipe is around 3 inch.

Thanks

Reply to
Metspitzer

Thanks

Reply to
Metspitzer

Yep. The install guy tried to mount it to the side of the deck even after telling me he thought it was too low.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Well if the corner is pretty solid then I guess that's your other option. Nothing available on the corners of the house?

The installation guy should have pipe. They bury it with concrete for free standing installations. He'll change you extra for the pipe. I've heard there is an exhaust pipe size that matches but you'll stoill have to buy it and it will need paint too.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

How would it work "perfect" if it's made for a 2" pipe and your pipe is 3"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If he's doing an hd dish the pipe size is 2" od.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Perfect "type" strap. Thanks

Reply to
Metspitzer

I didn't want it attached to the house. I am told that they can put some very large stresses by catching the wind.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Are you sure that the railing can handle the stresses that you are afraid to apply to the house?

Not only will the strength of the railing need to be considered, but your mounting method also.

As I'm sure you are aware, the entire mounting "system" has to be able to handle the stresses.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Millions of people mount them on the house. I have mine mounted on the corner boards at the right rear corner of the house about 16 feet up. Use long lag screws on the main pipe mount so some of them will get through the sheathing to the framing lumber. The hd dishes come with two stabilizing arms. Make sure you installer mounts those as well. They do not need to hit frame, just screwed into the siding and underlayment or corner board is enough. Mine's been up for 2 years. Generally one rear corner or another on the house up a ways is fairly unobtrusive. Certainly a lot less of an eyesore than mounted on the railing corner of a deck.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Here is a picture of my house.

The lower left corner is aimed almost directly at the satellite. I don't think I could have used a corner on the back. I think the deck is a better place than the front yard.

It is a done deal now anyway. I have had a HDTV for 2 years now. It is time I had HD channels.

Reply to
Metspitzer

What, no locals close enough to hit with rabbit ears? OTA HD is sharper than Dish HD anyway. I have seriously been thinking about planting an antenna pole through my deck (as a stabilizer), to hold a big yagi. Mount a bracket and thumbscrew at a convenient height, so I don't have to screw with wiring up a rotator- just step out the sliding door and turn the handle to the correct index mark. My existing OTA antenna is falling apart, and mounted to a wooden chimney that is also falling apart, and the apple tree keeps trying to mate with it.

Said wooden chimney is also getting flexible enough, that in high wind, my Dish that is mounted to it flutters, and I lose lock on the bird for several minutes.

Reply to
aemeijers